[NDS] Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - "Route 209 (Day)" (Replacement) by TheMarioPianist

Started by Zeta, August 22, 2015, 07:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: FireArrow on September 02, 2015, 07:40:57 PMReal quick, but do you hear the descending half notes starting measure 3? A-A-G#-G#-F#-F#-E-E-D-D etc.
If you move the voice up an octave it's very playable and fills out the piece quite nicely.

Edit: I'd also try simplifying your chords to make room for the counter melody.

Yea, I hear the half notes. I can put them in the next time I update! Also, in what section are you talking about simplifying for counter melody? The same spot?
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

FireArrow

Yeah the same spot, I usually give feed back in chunks at a time since I'm too lazy to do it all at once.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

TheMarioPianist

Gotcha! I'll try to make these changes when I get home from school tomorrow!

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Ok, files have been updated again. According to FireArrow's suggestions, I have done the following:

-Added half notes in the bass clef
-Attempted to add the counter melody in the first part.

For the counter melody, if playability becomes an issue, let me know and I can simplify it some. Thanks!

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Latios212

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on September 04, 2015, 10:57:02 PM-Added half notes in the bass clef
Fine by me. Flip the triplets in 6 and 7 though.

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on September 04, 2015, 10:57:02 PM-Attempted to add the counter melody in the first part.
I'll be totally honest I'd rather just leave it out.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Latios212 on September 05, 2015, 09:18:28 AMFine by me. Flip the triplets in 6 and 7 though.

Yea, I had them flipped because of some clashing issues. No idea why that is my first option rather than spacing out the systems... ;D

Quote from: Latios212 on September 05, 2015, 09:18:28 AMI'll be totally honest I'd rather just leave it out.

I was thinking the same thing. Since FireArrow mentioned it, I figured I would at least give it a shot. In my honest opinion, it detracts from the main melody too much. I'll take it out.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

FireArrow

Here's the thing:
1. The main melody is being played by a monophonic instrument, those chords aren't there.
2. That bass line (the one with the triplets) is the one dahan's made up. I listened to it with an equalizer on the bass and I still can't make out anything like it.

Unless somethings changed, custom bass lines are usually a no-no since NSM tries to have accurate sheets over cool sounding creatively liberal sheets. Filling up a song with chords to make it sound fuller is fine, but in this case, where there's still two more voices you can work with (You have the main melody, counter melody, ostinato, and bass), it just takes away from your ability to do anything else with your arrangement.

Something like this?

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: FireArrow on September 05, 2015, 12:03:32 PMHere's the thing:
1. The main melody is being played by a monophonic instrument, those chords aren't there.
2. That bass line (the one with the triplets) is the one dahan's made up. I listened to it with an equalizer on the bass and I still can't make out anything like it.

Unless somethings changed, custom bass lines are usually a no-no since NSM tries to have accurate sheets over cool sounding creatively liberal sheets. Filling up a song with chords to make it sound fuller is fine, but in this case, where there's still two more voices you can work with (You have the main melody, counter melody, ostinato, and bass), it just takes away from your ability to do anything else with your arrangement.

Something like this?

1. Ok, good point, I'll clear that up.
2. That's really weird. Like, when I play the song at 100% speed, I hear triplets somewhere. When I slow it down, they disappear. Kind of weird, but I think you are right. I don't know why I'm hearing triplets; there definitely aren't any. I hadn't listened to the actual song in a while, so I assumed I had done it to emulate some sort of percussive sound. But there isn't any, that's the thing. Dahans probably heard the same thing I did; I didn't think I was "making it up." That is truly what I heard. But I'll probably go with what you did now. Thanks! Files updated!

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

FireArrow

Damn, we've all been fooled.

There's a triplet rhythm on the first A in measure 3, it doesn't exist anywhere else. The perfect 5ths are a dahans creation though. :3

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: FireArrow on September 05, 2015, 12:52:45 PMDamn, we've all been fooled.

There's a triplet rhythm on the first A in measure 3, it doesn't exist anywhere else. The perfect 5ths are a dahans creation though. :3

Oh, wait, I remember what I was trying to do. I was trying to emulate the drum part that plays in the background. Problem is, that triplet is on beat 4, not 2. That could be why I couldn't find anything. But I'm not hearing a triplet on the first A now, of course (not saying that you are wrong). For the sake of keeping a pattern, would it be ok to take the half note part of the bass and put a triplet on beat 4 to replicate the percussive sound, or would that be considered making my own part up?

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

FireArrow

Sorry, I was wrong to call it made up since it was based upon a voice in the piece. Making things up is when there's absolutely no prerequisite, you composed it completely on your own.

I hear the percussion as quarter-quarter-half, but if you're certain that it's there go ahead. And do make the first A in the bass Quarter-Triplet, that's definitely there as well.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: FireArrow on September 05, 2015, 01:14:36 PMSorry, I was wrong to call it made up since it was based upon a voice in the piece. Making things up is when there's absolutely no prerequisite, you composed it completely on your own.

I hear the percussion as quarter-quarter-half, but if you're certain that it's there go ahead. And do make the first A in the bass Quarter-Triplet, that's definitely there as well.

Will do! Note, the percussion I was referencing was that snare that plays in the first two measures (and the rest of that intro-type part) which is quarter-quarter-quarter-triplet. I'll fix that really quick and update it again!

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Updated mus and musx for now. Gotta go!

UPDATE: MIDI and PDF also updated now, so all files are updated.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

FireArrow

Ok yeah I hear the snare drum now.
Part 2!

Measure 4: Remove the triplet, it's unplayable since you're moving the left hand up to play the counter melody on beat 4.
Measure 12-18: Is there any reason you chose the counter melody over the melody? Just curious.
Measure 19-26: Add in the counter melody. I'd recommend having it an octave up until measure 24 where you can put it back down. Don't worry about the parts where it plays in unison with the melody.
Measure 27-29: Add in the C#-E-A arpeggios. You can put it an octave down in measure 29 so you have enough room to go all the way up. Also, all the chords on beat 1 and 2 have an A in them.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: FireArrow on September 05, 2015, 04:23:02 PMOk yeah I hear the snare drum now.
Part 2!

Measure 4: Remove the triplet, it's unplayable since you're moving the left hand up to play the counter melody on beat 4.
Measure 12-18: Is there any reason you chose the counter melody over the melody? Just curious.
Measure 19-26: Add in the counter melody. I'd recommend having it an octave up until measure 24 where you can put it back down. Don't worry about the parts where it plays in unison with the melody.
Measure 27-29: Add in the C#-E-A arpeggios. You can put it an octave down in measure 29 so you have enough room to go all the way up. Also, all the chords on beat 1 and 2 have an A in them.

Ok, corrections made. Have some comments about these things though. (For sake of simplicity, only .mus was updated.)

Measure 4: Done, no questions asked.
Measures 12-18: Although it is the counter melody, Latios and I kind of decided it stood out more, so we picked it.
Measures 19-26: What part is the counter melody? That low pitched thing between the bass and the melody? Because I'm barely picking that up even with slowing down the audio.
Measures 27-29: Added the arpeggios. I think I got their notes right (weren't quite C#-E-A). I couldn't tell if maybe those arpeggios started at the beginning of the measure; if they did, I couldn't hear them. Now, those chords on beat 1 do not have an A in them. The melody ones, anyway. There is some high-pitched string ensemble thing that plays chords with only A's, but I think sticking to the main melody is more important.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player