[NDS] Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - "Route 209 (Day)" (Replacement) by TheMarioPianist

Started by Zeta, August 22, 2015, 07:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Route 209 (Day)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: TheMarioPianist

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

TheMarioPianist

My first Pokémon song! Forced upon with torture by Requested by Latios212! I am now in love with Pokémon music. Never got to play a Pokémon game in my childhood. Ever. (Ok, I played on an emulator for a couple weeks until our school blocked it from our iPads, but I was 15 by then.) But I feel like my involvement with the music may cause that to change. Mario will always be my #1, but Pokémon is on its way to becoming a close second.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Bump because it was down to page 2 already...that's a good thing though! Lots of arrangements!

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

JDMEK5

Some pros:
- Good use of pedal in good spots.
- For the most part the feel was emulated from the original via appropriate articulations.
- Dynamics are well thought for the most part and fit well with the melodic line.
- Good rhythmic beaming and tie/separate rest usage.
- Notes are virtually always completely accurate (besides the registers but that's part of arranging).

My list of things to fix:
- Game Title is wrong. Should read: "Pokémon Diamond Version & Pokémon Pearl Version".
- Copyright should read: "Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, GameFreak © 2006"
- Measure 12 and 14, RH: All notes in beats 1-3 are an octave too high.
- Measures 15-18, RH: I'd almost be tempted to use the piano melody here. It's just kinda getting ignored. Maybe put that in instead.
- Measures 19-26 LH: I wouldn't do staccatos here. Staccato on piano means as sharp as you can play it essentially (I know it's different for wind instruments) and that kills the line here.
- Measures 19 and 23, RH, Beat 3: Your E's here are an octave too high.
- Measure 29, Beat 4: Your bass note should be D# and your chord in the right hand should be F#m in second inversion.
- Measure 30, LH, Beats 2-4: Use a quarter rest and a half rest here in that order. No dotted rests belong in simple time. Only compound.
- Measures 37-39, RH: I feel single notes would emulate the tone from the original better. As in, exclude the harmonies.
- Measures 43-51, RH: Here I'd leave out all background notes to clear the spotlight for the flute solo going on. Your version sounds completely different from the original here because of all those. I'd keep it simple, with just single notes and only what the flute plays.

Despite having so much to say about it, I will say it's a nice arrangement. Well done.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Tobbeh99

Quote from: JDMEK5 on August 31, 2015, 09:29:35 PM- Measures 19-26 LH: I wouldn't do staccatos here. Staccato on piano means as sharp as you can play it essentially (I know it's different for wind instruments) and that kills the line here.
I think staccato is fine here, but what I think is missing is a slur on the last two notes.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: JDMEK5 on August 31, 2015, 09:29:35 PMSome pros:
- Good use of pedal in good spots.
- For the most part the feel was emulated from the original via appropriate articulations.
- Dynamics are well thought for the most part and fit well with the melodic line.
- Good rhythmic beaming and tie/separate rest usage.
- Notes are virtually always completely accurate (besides the registers but that's part of arranging).

My list of things to fix:
- Game Title is wrong. Should read: "Pokémon Diamond Version & Pokémon Pearl Version".
- Copyright should read: "Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, GameFreak © 2006"
- Measure 12 and 14, RH: All notes in beats 1-3 are an octave too high.
- Measures 15-18, RH: I'd almost be tempted to use the piano melody here. It's just kinda getting ignored. Maybe put that in instead.
- Measures 19-26 LH: I wouldn't do staccatos here. Staccato on piano means as sharp as you can play it essentially (I know it's different for wind instruments) and that kills the line here.
- Measures 19 and 23, RH, Beat 3: Your E's here are an octave too high.
- Measure 29, Beat 4: Your bass note should be D# and your chord in the right hand should be F#m in second inversion.
- Measure 30, LH, Beats 2-4: Use a quarter rest and a half rest here in that order. No dotted rests belong in simple time. Only compound.
- Measures 37-39, RH: I feel single notes would emulate the tone from the original better. As in, exclude the harmonies.
- Measures 43-51, RH: Here I'd leave out all background notes to clear the spotlight for the flute solo going on. Your version sounds completely different from the original here because of all those. I'd keep it simple, with just single notes and only what the flute plays.

Despite having so much to say about it, I will say it's a nice arrangement. Well done.

Thanks for the detailed help! I'm not really familiar with Pokémon stuff, so thanks for correcting me on the title and copyright. At first glance, most of your corrections seem to make sense. Only disagree with the one Tobbeh mentioned. I'm at school now, but I will check these when I get home. Thanks again!

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on September 01, 2015, 01:52:50 AMI think staccato is fine here, but what I think is missing is a slur on the last two notes.

Good catch, I'll probably do that.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Latios212

I'm Latios and I approve of JDMEK5's message

(I'm sorry I never got to finish critiquing this sheet but all the stuff I was thinking got said anyway :))
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

TheMarioPianist

Ok, so finally, I got to making all the changes! The files have been updated. Here's a list of all the changes, mostly from JDMEK's list:

• Fixed Game Title
  • Fixed Copyright
  • Lowered notes in measures 12 and 14 1 octave
  • Added piano melody in 15-18
  • Lowered E's in 19 and 23 1 octave
  • Fixed accidental not showing in bass note D# in measure 29
  • Fixed dotted half rest to view as quarter rest and half rest in measure 30
  • Removed harmonies from measures 37-39
  • Cleared out background notes in measures 43-51
  • Added tenutos on beat 3 of measures 3-10
  • Added tenutos on beat 3 of measures 19-26
  • Slurred each measure of 19-26, causing staccatos to become portato instead to eliminate choppiness
  • Due to above change, note playback of staccato notes increased from 40% the value to 75%
  • Had measure 26 melody wrong; beats 2-4 changed from D-C#-A to C#-B-A

Only thing I did not change:
Quote from: JDMEK5 on August 31, 2015, 09:29:35 PM- Measure 29, Beat 4: your chord in the right hand should be F#m in second inversion.

Latios and I both agreed that it was a D# diminished chord rather than an F#m in second inversion. The accidental wasn't showing previously, so I fixed that. If someone proves me wrong on this, I will gladly change it. Thanks for the help guys!

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Tobbeh99

Measure 22: the slur is blocking the tenuto, lol.
Also the 8va line from measure 37-40 is a bit low, colliding with notes.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on September 02, 2015, 07:24:40 AMMeasure 22: the slur is blocking the tenuto, lol.
Also the 8va line from measure 37-40 is a bit low, colliding with notes.

Wow, I saw those when I was fixing it up last night and forgot to change them  ;D. Will fix when I get home from school (unless Latios does it first! ;))

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

JDMEK5

Very nice. Aside form what Tobbeh said, I now approve this sheet. Well done.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Latios212

Hang in there! I spotted a couple more things in my final thorough check (check to make sure I did these right):

I have homework to do but I did this instead

Actual changes:
- Raised the E in RH of measures 19 and 23 an octave
- Shortened note durations in RH of m. 19, 21, 25 from half to quarter, removed slurs in this section
- Raised the RH of measure 40 (and the preceding 2 eighth notes) by an octave, made the mp a little earlier
- Removed a C from the RH of m. 45
- Broke the tie between the RH E's in m. 46 (it's two separate notes now)
- Shortened the duration of the last RH note in m. 46 (doesn't carry over to next measure)

And a couple of final OCD changes (including what's been mentioned by Tobbeh):
- Capitalized the F in GameFreak
- Measure 16 added a pedal release marking (that's supposed to be there, right?)
- Measure 21-22 slurs nudged up a bit
- Measure 29 showed the accidental D# in right hand (I thought we fixed that?)
- Measure 30 moved the slur to not overlap the notes
- Measure 31 changed long crescendo to the word "cresc."
- Measure 37-40 8va moved up
- Measure 42 changed two tied eighths to quarter
- Measure 51 moved the mf so it doesn't collide with the beam
- Shifted pedal markings a bit (especially 57-58)
- Moved squiggly over to the right a bit in the last measure

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Latios212 on September 02, 2015, 03:14:33 PMHang in there! I spotted a couple more things in my final thorough check (check to make sure I did these right):

I have homework to do but I did this instead

Actual changes:
- Raised the E in RH of measures 19 and 23 an octave
- Shortened note durations in RH of m. 19, 21, 25 from half to quarter, removed slurs in this section
- Raised the RH of measure 40 (and the preceding 2 eighth notes) by an octave, made the mp a little earlier
- Removed a C from the RH of m. 45
- Broke the tie between the RH E's in m. 46 (it's two separate notes now)
- Shortened the duration of the last RH note in m. 46 (doesn't carry over to next measure)

And a couple of final OCD changes (including what's been mentioned by Tobbeh):
- Capitalized the F in GameFreak
- Measure 16 added a pedal release marking (that's supposed to be there, right?)
- Measure 21-22 slurs nudged up a bit
- Measure 29 showed the accidental D# in right hand (I thought we fixed that?)
- Measure 30 moved the slur to not overlap the notes
- Measure 31 changed long crescendo to the word "cresc."
- Measure 37-40 8va moved up
- Measure 42 changed two tied eighths to quarter
- Measure 51 moved the mf so it doesn't collide with the beam
- Shifted pedal markings a bit (especially 57-58)
- Moved squiggly over to the right a bit in the last measure

Files updated! New version has all of these plus beat 4 of measure 31 changed to a single sustained note.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

FireArrow

Real quick, but do you hear the descending half notes starting measure 3? A-A-G#-G#-F#-F#-E-E-D-D etc.
If you move the voice up an octave it's very playable and fills out the piece quite nicely.

Edit: I'd also try simplifying your chords to make room for the counter melody.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department