[GBC] Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal - "Vermilion City" by Altissimo

Started by Zeta, August 21, 2015, 08:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar12345

Quote from: Altissimo on September 28, 2015, 04:21:10 PMHow nice of you.
I'll ignore the hypocrisy here long enough to make a more meaningful post.

Whelp, I re-downloaded FinaleNotepad and, to my surprise, they patched the loophole of being able to copy individual time and key signatures over files (the file of time and key changes I had prepared seems to be for not now). So yes, I do apologize for that "put forth effort" remark. However, don't forget that we're people too!

@Brawler: you would only need to create the time signature files for that idea, since you can still edit the initial key signature. Key and time signature changes within an arrangement can only be done by higher versions, apparently, so those still have to go through the other topic.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Altissimo

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 28, 2015, 04:36:05 PMWhelp, I re-downloaded FinaleNotepad and, to my surprise, they patched the loophole of being able to copy individual time and key signatures over files (the file of time and key changes I had prepared seems to be for not now). So yes, I do apologize for that "put forth effort" remark. However, don't forget that we're people too!

Yeeeah, see, this is kind of the problem. A lot of the help resources geared toward Notepad users (such as the template) ends up not working for Notepad. To insist that it does wastes valuable time and energy on the part of people trying desperately to make it work on Notepad (painting a wall with a potato). This is what I'm angry about. Not about having to ask for help. Rather, that the help comes in the form of insisting I paint a wall with a potato even when I've said that no, it doesn't work, I cannot paint this wall with the potato. That's what I'm pissy about. Not asking for help. Make sense?

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 28, 2015, 04:36:05 PMHowever, don't forget that we're people too!
I'll ignore the hypocrisy of this statement.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 28, 2015, 04:36:05 PM@Brawler: you would only need to create the time signature files for that idea, since you can still edit the initial key signature. Key and time signature changes within an arrangement can only be done by higher versions, apparently, so those still have to go through the other topic.

Apparently, my name is Brawler now. Never knew that. But thanks for the tip.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Brawler4Ever

@Olimar, I'm assuming you mean TheMarioPianist. xD

And yes, the initial Key Sig can be changed even if a song is started. This will result in all of the notes being moved, but if there are no notes, there is no problem. So you'll only need one for each Time Sig, TMP.
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

Altissimo

Quote from: Brawler4Ever on September 28, 2015, 04:47:07 PMAnd yes, the initial Key Sig can be changed even if a song is started. This will result in all of the notes being moved, but if there are no notes, there is no problem. So you'll only need one for each Time Sig, TMP.

Oh, it looks like you're right about that! Well, I was wrong. My apologies.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Altissimo on September 28, 2015, 04:39:41 PMYeeeah, see, this is kind of the problem. A lot of the help resources geared toward Notepad users (such as the template) ends up not working for Notepad. To insist that it does wastes valuable time and energy on the part of people trying desperately to make it work on Notepad (painting a wall with a potato). This is what I'm angry about. Not about having to ask for help. Rather, that the help comes in the form of insisting I paint a wall with a potato even when I've said that no, it doesn't work, I cannot paint this wall with the potato. That's what I'm pissy about. Not asking for help. Make sense?

While I do agree that our help for lower users is out dated and hasn't been up-kept with Finale's latest version, you could still have used the template as just that: A template. Using it completely eliminates the impossibilities that are the current formatting standards, and small things like time and key changes within a piece can always be edited in. For example, if you had started with the template file, you would have been able to arrange this piece almost flawlessly, being that it is in 4/4 and you could have adjusted the initial key signature. Anything else could have been added upon request, in the proper place and context.

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on September 28, 2015, 04:43:42 PMI'll ignore the hypocrisy of this statement.

In the correct context, that wasn't hypocritical. I meant that she shouldn't forget that we aren't a company of machines that work perfectly, we are a group of individual volunteers. This site is in no way a professional operation, and it sounded like she thought that it was.

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on September 28, 2015, 04:43:42 PMApparently, my name is Brawler now. Never knew that. But thanks for the tip.

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were brawler for a second there. xD (you got my point about the key signatures, though!)

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Altissimo

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 28, 2015, 04:57:25 PMIn the correct context, that wasn't hypocritical. I meant that she shouldn't forget that we aren't a company of machines that work perfectly, we are a group of individual volunteers. This site is in no way a professional operation, and it sounded like she thought that it was.

But I'm also a person, an individual volunteer. If I feel like my attempts are not being respected simply because I'm not 100% perfect with them, then I am made to feel like this is a company of machines that work perfectly. Again, I'm sensing mixed messages.

Olimar12345

I am confused, so I might not respond appropriately xD (beware!)

If you know that you are not 100% perfect with it, why do you jump to bash everything and everyone about it? As I explained, the template file could have prevented all of this. ???

Blech. all of this aside, this file still isn't quite ready to be accepted. Your layer-orientation in the right hand from measures 4-10 are overlapping and unorganized, making it confusing to read. Perhaps you could rework this section to be a bit more legible?

Altissimo

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 28, 2015, 05:10:06 PMIf you know that you are not 100% perfect with it, why do you jump to bash everything and everyone about it? As I explained, the template file could have prevented all of this. ???

The template file on the thread is outdated, and I didn't have access to the .mus version until today. Before asking why didn't you use the template, you might wanna have that checked out.

Anyway, I'm not bashing everything and everyone about the fact that I'm not 100% perfect. I admit the file had mistakes when I submitted. But what I felt was a massive amount of talking-down to me because of the fact that it wasn't perfect. There was the instance of using a template which I couldn't download and is useless when outside 4/4 time (which in this case wasn't the case but as I mentioned the download on the thread doesn't work anyway). There was the reminder that Notepad was free, as if I didn't already know - as if my issues somehow came from the fact that I didn't have Notepad when the real problem was that I didn't think I could use the template. I am/was also annoyed at the lack of consistency. I have had other updaters help me to fix formatting issues in the past, so the "there is no excuse" for not having perfect sheets got on my nerves because that has never been a problem before. Yes, yes, you're all different, I get that, but you are acting as if I am expected to already know this when my own personal experiences have taught me that other updaters are willing to help me with formatting issues - and they don't tell me to do it myself first next time. I am receiving mixed messages. This is what set me off.

As for the issues with the layer orientation: The fact that the layers are overlapping constantly makes this tricky to find a solution for. I'm talking with Latios right now, I'll get back to you

Altissimo

Uh, how's this? here There's only so much you can do considering the layers overlap each other significantly. Measure 6 is especially bad... This probably isn't the best solution but it might be better than what was before?? This is tricky

Olimar12345

Quick response to your text wall post above, since rehearsal is about to begin. Submissions aren't the place to get your files fixed, they're where you post your ready files to be uploaded. it is true that we do edit files here too, but that's not the purpose of the submissions .-.

Altissimo

[Original argument scrapped because there's no point continuing this]

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 28, 2015, 05:37:41 PMQuick response to your text wall post above, since rehearsal is about to begin. Submissions aren't the place to get your files fixed, they're where you post your ready files to be uploaded. it is true that we do edit files here too, but that's not the purpose of the submissions .-.
Okay. Thanks for informing me. I was not entirely aware of this before.

OP updated with new files that are hopefully better-looking courtesy of TMP. How is this?

DonValentino

Quote from: Altissimo on September 28, 2015, 03:58:38 PMThen why do updaters do it, eh? I say be consistent, goddammit.

Well granted, I for one have redone practically from scratch some of your arrangements so you could see and learn how it should be, and with other people too, but we can't keep on doing that forever. As Olimar said, we're not janitors, just the ones who give approval to sheets. It's the arrangers duty to learn, produce increasingly better sheets, and submit an acceptable arrangement for final approval. We're currently discussing this matter, hopefully we have something definitive soon.

Again, if you can't do something in Notepad, you can always use this thread: http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=685.0

Altissimo

And I've said I'm comfortable doing that moving forward. I'd rather not continue this.