[GBC] Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal - "Vermilion City" by Altissimo

Started by Zeta, August 21, 2015, 08:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

I still don't understand why we're not using the version I cleaned up for you last time.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

Your formatting is off, and you can prevent the following issues by using our FREE TEMPLATE FILE THAT HAS THE CORRECT FORMATTING WOOO!

-You're missing the "Piano" text that usually sits to the left of the first system, between the bracket.
-The first system should be indented.
-Please move your composer names to two lines rather than one long one.

Remember that using a different notation program is not a valid reason to not follow the formatting guidelines! NotePad is free, and you can have THIS topic for requesting edits to be made for things you can't do!

Other quick musical errors include:
-The reoccuring crescendo between the sf and mp is not possible to do on the piano, since you can't control the change of a dynamic once the hammer strikes the strings d: please remove them.
-Please move the rests in measure 19 (RH) down to be inside the staff.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Latios212

Better. Also, is measure 2 beat 4 layer 2 supposed to be an E instead of F#?

Altissimo, next time if I fix up a sheet for you, please use it. :U

Quote from: Latios212 on August 21, 2015, 08:56:43 PMI think we cleaned this up last time
Quote from: Altissimo on August 22, 2015, 06:59:52 PMI was using an older revision of the file to create the ones linked in the post

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Altissimo

Quote from: Latios212 on September 28, 2015, 09:46:17 AMBetter. Also, is measure 2 beat 4 layer 2 supposed to be an E instead of F#?

Altissimo, next time if I fix up a sheet for you, please use it. :U
I don't remember why I did that honestly
EDIT: No, wait, I think I do. I think it's because you didn't give me a PDF so I had to create my own and I cannot create PDFs from Finale, so I had no choice but to create my own with an older version of the file. :U

QuoteRemember that using a different notation program is not a valid reason to not follow the formatting guidelines! NotePad is free, and you can have THIS topic for requesting edits to be made for things you can't do!
I have Notepad. I just make my scores with MuseScore because I don't have a program with which to create PDF files from Notepad, so I have to create the PDFs from my MuseScore files. Plus Notepad is a crime against humanity to actually write anything in so it's a lot, lot quicker and easier for me to make the scores with Musescore and then import them to Notepad. So I don't use the free formatting template (Which, by the way, is an .ftm file and thus unopenable on my computer. Where can I find a .mus template??). But this means that I can't get rid of the "piano" text and fix the indenting problems without help - which, in the past, has been served by the updaters themselves looking at my sheets. I know the formatting is wrong. I know this and I submit sheets anyway because that cannot be fixed by me. But the reason I didn't use the topic in question is because nobody has bothered me for having incorrect formatting on any of my four submitted sheets, they just fix it. I'm getting very mixed messages here.

But since I can't make a PDF of the updated MUS, can one of you guys please do it for me??? I've edited the updated MIDI and MUS into the OP.

@Latios: You removed the dynamics. Yes yes I know you don't like my dynamics but why didn't you say anything the first time we went over this sheet? I thought we'd agreed the dynamics were okay.

Brawler4Ever

CutePDFWriter works pretty well. I've had no trouble with creating PDF's from Notepad. Just select it as a printer as if you would print your sheet, and then a pop-up will come that allows you to save the sheet as a PDF.
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

Latios212

We'll have a .mus version of the template shortly, which will take care of that problem. Thanks Brawler for that as well.

But yes, in the future copypasta into Notepad and getting help from that other topic is the way to go. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I've updated the files in the OP.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

The mus file needs to be the parent file. MIDI and pdf files need to come from the mus so that all three files are uniform.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Altissimo

Quote from: Brawler4Ever on September 28, 2015, 11:58:00 AMCutePDFWriter works pretty well. I've had no trouble with creating PDF's from Notepad. Just select it as a printer as if you would print your sheet, and then a pop-up will come that allows you to save the sheet as a PDF.

Doesn't look like it supports Macs though :/ I think I found a way though

Also, Olimar: Using the template is worthless. it doesn't allow you to change the time or key signature. I cannot use the template because it makes almost all of my sheets wrong. In the future I'll just need to submit sheets with poor formatting and ask people to help me correct them. The template will not help me any.

Just a PSA.

Olimar12345

Finale Notepad should allow you to change the initial key signature of any given piece.  Time changes and key changes can be copy and paste it over from other files. If none of these methods work, you always have the community and the topic for lower finale users. You have no excuse to not make this presentable before submitting it.

Altissimo

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 28, 2015, 03:24:05 PMFinale Notepad should allow you to change the initial key signature of any given piece.  Time changes and key changes can be copy and paste it over from other files. If none of these methods work, you always have the community and the topic for lower finale users. You have no excuse to not make this presentable before submitting it.

Initial key signature, sure. But the document wizard does not show up when opening the template. So either I can get the proper key/time signature, or I can get correct formatting. There is no way to do both without outside assistance.
And no, time and key changes cannot be copied from other files. I just tried to copy my version of the Opening to Gold and Silver into the template. Rather than switching from 4/4 to 6/8 to cut time, it remained the same time signature (4/4, the default of the template) the whole way through. And rather than the two key changes I wrote, it remained in the same key signature (C major, the default of the template) the whole way through.

And yes, I do have an excuse for why it wasn't formatting-perfect: because I haven't had anyone call me out on NOT having it formatting-perfect before. Four sheets and no issues. The updaters are just (or rather, have been willing to help make it formatting-perfect rather than telling me I need to get things fixed. So...... sorry you guys' standards are so inconsistent, I guess?????

Olimar12345

You're in the wrong mindset. We don't have to do anything for you. We aren't janitors, and no one is paying us to clean up your arrangements. The VERY least you could do before submitting an arrangement is have it up to our standards, visually. I worked in notepad for years and, with a little effort, was able to do anything I needed to with it. I am aware that there are physical limitations to the program, as is the point of its existence, but no one is stopping you from asking others for help.

Altissimo

Then why do updaters do it, eh? I say be consistent, goddammit.

Olimar12345

We aren't all the same person. How about put forth some effort rather than bitch about everything.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 28, 2015, 04:07:02 PMWe aren't all the same person. How about put forth some effort rather than bitch about everything.
Olimar, you have to remember. Notepad users can only use the template if it's in .mus form and if their song is in C major and 4/4 time. Most songs aren't. Now, before I say more, I am working on creating a topic with 75 template files for notepad users (15 key sigs times 5 time sigs {2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 2/2, 6/8}). But that's not here yet. So, I'm not gonna lie; this statement is outright rude. Altissimo is doing the best possible work with Notepad. Should you ask for help in the appropriate topics? Absolutely. But it's kind of hard to do that when you address that inappropriately. I've started noticing a trend of ill remarks; you can help people without having such a condescending tone. It's like dealing with Maestro minus the humor. And that's no fun.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player