News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

The Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal Unofficial Project

Started by Latios212, July 25, 2015, 01:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Echo

Quote from: Latios212 on August 12, 2015, 09:08:48 PMFix'd up another one with Altissimo. [Violet City] Feedback would be great! (Especially on the intro.)

Nice, one of my favourite city themes!

I did some edits here: [MUS]

List of what I changed
Measures 1-3: First three notes changed to staccato for the melody
Measure 1: Changed the G# in the chord to an A#
Measure 2: Changed the F# in the chord to a G# (an octave lower too)
Measure 4: Added a lower C# for the right hand
Measure 8: Removed the staccato on the G
Measure 10: Added a missing E# for a chord in the right hand, shortened the half note in the left hand to a dotted-eighth
Measure 11: Changed the second F# to an E in the right hand
Measure 12: Shortened the last half note to a quarter
Measure 13: Added an eighth note in the second voice
Measures 13-15: Merged the layers
Measures 14 & 16: Changed the staccato pattern in the left hand
Measure 18: Changed the C# in the second layer to a B
Measure 19: Added staccatos on the eighths in the left hand.
Measure 20: Merged the layers

There were a couple of other things that concerned me that I didn't change though. Like, in the latter half of measure 16, the chord stretches to a tenth and a half (D-F#), and I think that's a bit too much of a stretch. I think measure 9 could maybe have the layers merged too. And just in general, the legato markings should be tidied up a bit (especially around staccato markings). But good job overall, guys.

QuoteAlso still haven't exactly finished [Route 26] yet but if someone could help me insert the third layer and run an accuracy check that'd be great.

And this is my favourite route theme! Don't have time to do an accuracy check on this one, but I did have an old transcription lying around if you want an idea of the missing layer.
Part 1 (lots of enharmonic spelling errors)
Part 2 (wrong mode, should be in major)

Altissimo

Quote from: Echo on August 13, 2015, 01:33:43 AMThere were a couple of other things that concerned me that I didn't change though. Like, in the latter half of measure 16, the chord stretches to a tenth and a half (D-F#), and I think that's a bit too much of a stretch.

Yeah we've got no idea how to fix these. I totally agree with you but we couldn't come to a conclusion on the best way to write it. Any suggestions?

Otherwise though your fixes are much appreciated! I am not good at hearing harmonies when they're not part of actively moving voices so I'm very thankful for your additions on those.

Latios212

I'm not quite sure what to do with that D-F# (Perhaps just take the D out?). But other than that, seems fine for now! Uploaded to the folder. Thanks Echo! I appreciate it! Also working on finishing off Route 26.

Updated Violet City

Solo-fied Dudeman's sheet: [Battle! (Team Rocket)]
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Brawler4Ever

Just a heads up, I've been crazy busy and haven't been able to work on Ecruteak City. I'll continue working on it when I get some free time, but as of right now, I'm placing it up for grabs if anybody else wants it!
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

Altissimo

I would like to announce I'm not dead I actually have been working on stuff

But I have two questions for people. I already talked to Latios about the first one and he's not super sure what to do, and the second one I only just discovered

1) One of the songs I arranged was the Crystal title theme. Halfway through I discovered that, aside from the like five-measure intro that the the Gold/Silver title theme has, the two themes are exactly the same. The question is do we just use one sheet with like different intros or is it really worth putting the two sheets separately, especially considering we'd then have some funkiness since protocol would say we have to treat the sheet as if it were a unique song from Crystal - including putting in copyright 2001 (or whatever the year is) - when really, 99.9% of it is shared with the G/S title theme.
(There exists an arrangement of the G/S theme on site, and it's mostly good but I did discover a few mistakes, enough to make me think it's worth replacing. This complicates matters a bit further.)
2) A similar thing is true of the Rival theme (the out-of-battle one). There are two versions of this that have the exact same loop. However, they have a different introduction, and the second version goes from the intro to a point in the loop that's later than the first version (but eventually does cycle back to the first material of the loop). Again, two separate sheets, or separate intros?

SlowPokemon

The material is different enough for the Rival appearing tracks for two separate arrangements. I also vote two arrangements for the Title Screen tracks, since you can't really put two introductions on a sheet without looking horribly awkward.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Tobbeh99

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 27, 2015, 02:08:17 PMThe material is different enough for the Rival appearing tracks for two separate arrangements. I also vote two arrangements for the Title Screen tracks, since you can't really put two introductions on a sheet without looking horribly awkward.

I agree.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Altissimo

In what way should the copyright and game name for the title screen be written, then? Literally all the material of the Crystal theme save a one-beat pick-up is directly lifted from G/S lol

SlowPokemon

Wait, if it's only a one-beat pickup, it really doesn't need to be arranged at all, does it? I didn't know it was the exact same music.

Altissimo

Judge for yourself! It's the exact same except G/S begins with a little 6-measure thing in a different key and tempo, but Crystal skips this and just does a one-beat pick-up into the fast stuff.

SlowPokemon

Yeah, we don't need a separate arrangement. The only other difference is that the bass line in the Crystal arrangement is a much louder volume for some reason, but it's the same bass line.

Edit: In case I wasn't clear, we only need an arrangement of the Gold / Silver "Title Screen," since it's all of the material from Crystal's plus an introduction (which is my favorite part of the track lmao)

Altissimo

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 27, 2015, 03:41:24 PMYeah, we don't need a separate arrangement. The only other difference is that the bass line in the Crystal arrangement is a much louder volume for some reason, but it's the same bass line.

Edit: In case I wasn't clear, we only need an arrangement of the Gold / Silver "Title Screen," since it's all of the material from Crystal's plus an introduction (which is my favorite part of the track lmao)

I wonder if maybe I could have the G/S intro on the top line, and then the shared stuff begins on the 2nd line, and before it there is the Crystal pickup in small notes with like a "Crystal only" note next to it or something like that.

ANYWAY, I have the following arrangements finished but not formatted correctly or edited (by "edited" I mean "articulations and all that nonsense"):
Route 34/32
Crystal Title Screen
Gold/Silver Title Screen
Pokémon League
Rival Theme 1

These will hopefully go up tomorrow or this weekend when I can finally make myself edit them.
Talked with Latios and I think I would like to call the following for after that: Route 29, New Bark, and G/S opening movie.

Latios212

I'll help review these with you once I get my head on straight.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Echo

Just posting my old rough draft of New Bark Town. Pretty much just missing a layer and needs to be re-written better. Just leaving it here in case anyone wants to finish it quickly, otherwise I'll just do it over the weekend sometime.

Latios212

There's a decent amount of fiddling to be done with the layers to make it playable. I played around with it a while back, but wasn't really able to find a good solution.

scratch work

Spoiler
[close]
turtle