News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

Dream Theater

Started by DreamTheater123, July 24, 2015, 09:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamTheater123

All Dream Theater discussions here.
Does anyone here listen to Dream Theater? If so, fav song? Album?
Hardcore do fan here ppl.

Bloop

I'm not quite sure if a topic for a specific band will last that long.

I do listen to Dream Theater though, fav album would be Octavarium. I know that album for the longest time and I love the musical thought that went into it.

Tobbeh99

Favorite album hmm don't know. Favorite song Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, A Change of Seasons is also really good, and Metropolis pt.1: The Miracle and the Sleeper too.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Bloop

I love SDoIT, but I don't really like how most of the transitions between every part go. It sounds more like a medley than an actual song, thus why I like Octavarium more too.

Tobbeh99

True, I like how the songs have different character, but as you said it sounds more as a medley.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

DreamTheater123

Quote from: Bloop on July 25, 2015, 12:01:46 AMI'm not quite sure if a topic for a specific band will last that long.

I do listen to Dream Theater though, fav album would be Octavarium. I know that album for the longest time and I love the musical thought that went into it.
Oh it doesn't matter! I just am happy that I found some fans. And we'll for me, Octavarium is too weak. Besides their song Octavarium and Root of all evil, the other songs I don't like.
The answer lies within is too soft and too ballad like, strays from what they really are. These walls over all is a weak song. I walk beside you, pshh, don't get me started on that song. Panic attack is decent, never enough.....really? The lyrics are really weird. Sacrificed songs is a weak epic, after honor thy father, but the last song Octavarium rocks!

DreamTheater123

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on July 25, 2015, 03:28:47 AMFavorite album hmm don't know. Favorite song Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, A Change of Seasons is also really good, and Metropolis pt.1: The Miracle and the Sleeper too.
Six degrees is good, but imo I thought you guys would choose Metropolis part 2, awake, or images and words. Honestly my favorite is Train of Thought, simply by how dark the songs are. Especially the dying soul. Have you heard the outro solo? Stream of consciousness is the best instrumental, though dance of eternity comes close.

Bloop

Quote from: DreamTheater123 on July 25, 2015, 07:39:43 AMOh it doesn't matter! I just am happy that I found some fans. And we'll for me, Octavarium is too weak. Besides their song Octavarium and Root of all evil, the other songs I don't like.
The answer lies within is too soft and too ballad like, strays from what they really are. These walls over all is a weak song. I walk beside you, pshh, don't get me started on that song. Panic attack is decent, never enough.....really? The lyrics are really weird. Sacrificed songs is a weak epic, after honor thy father, but the last song Octavarium rocks!
Just because it's not as heavy as Train of Thought, doesn't mean it's weak. I agree with you on The Answer Lies Within and I Walk Beside You, though.

I do like These Walls, also because I can kinda relate to the lyrics. Never Enough is really Muse-y, what I like too. The lyrics are about how fans are never as satisfied with what the band makes. Sacrificed Sons is beautiful imo, but oh well.

DreamTheater123

True. I guess I have been underestimating the whole album. :/
Then, what's your opinion on their other albums? WDDU? Awake? Images and words? A nightmare to rememeber? Their self titled album?
Sorry, i when I find a day fan, I can talk about stuff for ages.

Bloop

I'm not that much of a hardcore fan, though. I know a lot about Octavarium, but other albums are quite a bit behind. I know Train of Thought fairly well, most of SDoIT (except for Blind Faith), half of Systematic Chaos, Black Clouds (I guess you meant that with A Nightmare to Remember) and ADToE and just a little bit of their self-titled album and Metropolis pt. 2. I haven't listened much of their early work, mostly because I've been really listening to them after their last album was released. It's just so much to start listening to. I'll go over the albums with the knowledge that I have, though.

A Dramatic Turn of Events is a pretty decent album. Not too special on its own, nice and easy to listen to usually. I loved listening to Lost Not Forgotten and Breaking All Illusions for a little while.

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is quite an awesome album. I love the take on the more psychological-themed lyrics, especially in the song of the same name. I'm quite interested in psychology, and my boyfriend even more. He didn't know this album yet, so I recommended it to him ^^ Disappear and Misunderstood were great emotional songs, and i could play them on piano once but i forgot damnit

Metropolis Pt. 2, I haven't really listened yet. Surely not in the right way, too, which I should start doing someday. I know Home and Fatal Tragedy, and I do really like those songs.

Train of Thought is their heaviest album, and really good too. I do feel like I can put half of the album kinda under the same thing, but that's not that bad. I don't think there's much other material to compare Train of Thought to. This Dying Soul and Honor Thy Father stuck to me the most though. I can never hear the intro of Honor Thy Father right, ever, but it's still a good song ^^

Systematic Chaos, I only know Forsaken, Prophets of War and Repentance of, but I love those songs, especially Repentance. I love the twelve part suite, actually, from The Root of All Evil and on the re-usage of melodies and themes and riffs and all is really cool. I once made a reference table for myself what melodies were introduced and reused and where they were in each song, but I don't remember if I still have it.

Black Clouds and Silver Linings is quite a divers album in prog metal sense, I think. A Nightmare to Remember, Count of Tuscany and A Rite of Passage are hard to compare to each other. I do love most of the songs, but I have yet to really know Wither and the Best of Times.

Their self-titled album is fairly decent too, as far as I know the album (which is not as much). I know Illumination Theory, Enigma Machine, The Enemy Inside and The Looking Glass. It's different in some way as their earlier work, but it's good nonetheless. I felt like Illumination Theory was kinda just trying to make another Octavarium or Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, especially with the intro drums and outro gong.

mayastarr041

Quote from: Bloop on July 25, 2015, 03:21:59 PMI'm not that much of a hardcore fan, though. I know a lot about Octavarium, but other albums are quite a bit behind. I know Train of Thought fairly well, most of SDoIT (except for Blind Faith), half of Systematic Chaos, Black Clouds (I guess you meant that with A Nightmare to Remember) and ADToE and just a little bit of their self-titled album and Metropolis pt. 2. I haven't listened much of their early work, mostly because I've been really listening to them after their last album was released. It's just so much to start listening to. I'll go over the albums with the knowledge that I have, though.

A Dramatic Turn of Events is a pretty decent album. Not too special on its own, nice and easy to listen to usually. I loved listening to Lost Not Forgotten and Breaking All Illusions for a little while.

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is quite an awesome album. I love the take on the more psychological-themed lyrics, especially in the song of the same name. I'm quite interested in psychology, and my boyfriend even more. He didn't know this album yet, so I recommended it to him ^^ Disappear and Misunderstood were great emotional songs, and i could play them on piano once but i forgot damnit

Metropolis Pt. 2, I haven't really listened yet. Surely not in the right way, too, which I should start doing someday. I know Home and Fatal Tragedy, and I do really like those songs.

Train of Thought is their heaviest album, and really good too. I do feel like I can put half of the album kinda under the same thing, but that's not that bad. I don't think there's much other material to compare Train of Thought to. This Dying Soul and Honor Thy Father stuck to me the most though. I can never hear the intro of Honor Thy Father right, ever, but it's still a good song ^^

Systematic Chaos, I only know Forsaken, Prophets of War and Repentance of, but I love those songs, especially Repentance. I love the twelve part suite, actually, from The Root of All Evil and on the re-usage of melodies and themes and riffs and all is really cool. I once made a reference table for myself what melodies were introduced and reused and where they were in each song, but I don't remember if I still have it.

Black Clouds and Silver Linings is quite a divers album in prog metal sense, I think. A Nightmare to Remember, Count of Tuscany and A Rite of Passage are hard to compare to each other. I do love most of the songs, but I have yet to really know Wither and the Best of Times.

Their self-titled album is fairly decent too, as far as I know the album (which is not as much). I know Illumination Theory, Enigma Machine, The Enemy Inside and The Looking Glass. It's different in some way as their earlier work, but it's good nonetheless. I felt like Illumination Theory was kinda just trying to make another Octavarium or Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, especially with the intro drums and outro gong.
They sound very interesting! I just checked out in the name of god and i loved it. do you have any albums or songs you recommend?
Hero of Trains is the BEST! Love you girl!

Bloop

Well as far as favourite albums go, Octavarium and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence for sure. Songs? Idk, there are so many. Also try out the twelve part suite: The Glass Prison, This Dying Soul, The Root of All Evil, Repentance anf The Shattered Fortress (all these songs are on different albums)

I'd advise you to just gradually start listening more albums. It's too much to start listening everything.

mayastarr041

Yeah, thanks ;D
I listened to 6 degrees and Disappear stood out to me the most. I can just feel the pain in the singers voice. She'd a few tears too. It's just beautiful

Bloop

I knoww! That was the first song I started to know from that album

mayastarr041

Quote from: Bloop on July 28, 2015, 12:55:21 PMI knoww! That was the first song I started to know from that album
:) Impressive album!
Though, Goodnight kiss was also a good song as well as the Test that stumped them all.
Octavarium, here I come!