Game: Mario Kart 64
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: Start Grid Fanfare (GP & VS)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: cqk328

[attachment deleted by admin]

TheMarioPianist

"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Bespinben

[MIDI] [MUS] [PDF] [MUSX]

I fixed up a few small errors:

*Accidentals! The way to know how to spell them is to identify the chords. This song is especially simple -- it's all just chromatically ascending dominant eleventh chords (with the 3rd and 5th omitted). M. 1 beats 1-2 was an Eb11, so the tones would be spelled Eb, (_), (_), Db, F, Ab -- definitely no C#s or G#s like you had originally.
*M. 1 beats 1-2 had an incorrect rhythm. There's actually an 8th that's then it's followed by 16ths.
*M. 1 beats 3-4 would be most clearly written using a sextuplet (6-let) as opposed to a 12-let. This goes back to the fact they are separate chords.
*M. 2 beat 1.25 ~ The A should actually be A#.

Addtionally, I played around with the formatting a bit. You'll see I redistributed the measures to help portray the two parts of the piece as being separate entities.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Tobbeh99

I was going to say something like "you should add some text saying 3,2,1 GO!" but when I looked at the game it seems like the Lakitu just makes red, red, green and more count down 3, 2, GO! so I don't know. Do it if you want to.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Bespinben on July 11, 2015, 11:13:02 PM*Accidentals! The way to know how to spell them is to identify the chords. This song is especially simple -- it's all just chromatically ascending dominant eleventh chords (with the 3rd and 5th omitted). M. 1 beats 1-2 was an Eb11, so the tones would be spelled Eb, (_), (_), Db, F, Ab -- definitely no C#s or G#s like you had originally.

Yep, this is 100% my bad, I don't know what I was thinking. I think I was just going all sharps without realizing the chord progressions. My mistake.

Quote from: Bespinben on July 11, 2015, 11:13:02 PM*M. 1 beats 1-2 had an incorrect rhythm. There's actually an 8th that's then it's followed by 16ths.

Dang, you guys are good at catching these things. I mean, my perfect pitch helps me a lot on these things, but sometimes playing a YouTube video at half or even quarter speed distorts the rhythm. Glad you heard that. The funny thing is now I'll hear that correctly every time.

Quote from: Bespinben on July 11, 2015, 11:13:02 PM*M. 1 beats 3-4 would be most clearly written using a sextuplet (6-let) as opposed to a 12-let. This goes back to the fact they are separate chords.

Yea, I had that originally. I don't know why I didn't keep it. It totally makes much more sense that way. It also eliminates the need for me to draw the bracket in Notepad...

Quote from: Bespinben on July 11, 2015, 11:13:02 PM*M. 2 beat 1.25 ~ The A should actually be A#.

Addtionally, I played around with the formatting a bit. You'll see I redistributed the measures to help portray the two parts of the piece as being separate entities.

As usual, looks a lot better. Granted, I know I can't do everything through Notepad, but I could have at least cleaned it up by taking it into Musescore.

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on July 12, 2015, 01:31:29 AMI was going to say something like "you should add some text saying 3,2,1 GO!" but when I looked at the game it seems like the Lakitu just makes red, red, green and more count down 3, 2, GO! so I don't know. Do it if you want to.

I was playing with that idea. But like you said, back in the early days, it wasn't a 3, 2, 1, GO! It was almost like a Ready, Set, Go kind of thing. I could do it, but it would require moving my dynamics around, and there wasn't actually a countdown in this game. Just the lights. So I'll probably omit it.

Thanks for the quick feedback! I updated the files, and that might be it. It sounds pretty good, unless there's some other micro thing we come across.

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Latios212

Small thing, title should match the OST if it exists, which it does: http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_64_Original_Soundtrack

So it should be "Start Grid #1 (GP & VS)". YouTubers are notorious for making up their own names...

Very nice work :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Latios212 on July 12, 2015, 08:24:06 AMSmall thing, title should match the OST if it exists, which it does: http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_64_Original_Soundtrack

So it should be "Start Grid #1 (GP & VS)". YouTubers are notorious for making up their own names...

Darn Youtubers...thanks though! :D I didn't have a clue what the actual title was so I took a gamble. Oh well. I'll fix it.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Bespinben

Quote from: Latios212 on July 12, 2015, 08:24:06 AMSmall thing, title should match the OST if it exists, which it does: http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_64_Original_Soundtrack

Latios and I reconsulted together about the title, and we agreed it should be "Start Grid Fanfare (GP & VS)", based off of the mariowiki. It wasn't clear whether the English or Japanese titles were official translations or fanmade transliterations, so we opted for the Japanese one.

Here are the updated files with the proper title:

[MIDI] [MUS] [PDF] [MUSX]
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Bespinben on July 12, 2015, 02:47:31 PMLatios and I reconsulted together about the title, and we agreed it should be "Start Grid Fanfare (GP & VS)", based off of the mariowiki. It wasn't clear whether the English or Japanese titles were official translations or fanmade transliterations, so we opted for the Japanese one.

Ok, that makes sense. If only wikis could be 100% trustworthy... :P

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot