News:

Found an issue in the Requests Board? Let Bubbles know!

Main Menu

TMP's Arrangements

Started by TheMarioPianist, July 11, 2015, 03:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

Quote from: Altissimo on July 12, 2015, 10:24:42 AMI use Musescore for my sheets and I find it to be a lot more user-friendly than Notepad in a lot of ways :p
Everyone forgets one thing: Notepad is not actually a notation software. It's just basically a free trial version of finale with literally less than 1/3 of the features Finale (year here) has.
I would like to note that you can get a 1-month free trial of Finale 2014, btw.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Maelstrom on July 12, 2015, 08:51:16 AMDang. You are good at this.
You should really invest in a full version of Finale, btw.

Thanks! :D I have definitely considered getting Finale. But $600...that's a lot. Unless there's a cheaper, older version, or the trade up option works for Notepad, I'm probably not gonna get it.

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on July 12, 2015, 10:02:56 AMY, that's the best. But if you think it's too expensive you could use musescore and import/export files to finale notepad to create mus. files, it's a free notating program that, if got it right, is somewhat better than notepad. I don't know how this work since I don't use musescore (I use the full version 2014) but I know that there are some people that have moved from using finale notepad to musescore so you can ask those people for help concerning musescore. :)

Well, I have MuseScore too. It's how I put in my tempo markings, swing, 8va and 8vb, and other stuff that Notepad just can't do. I really should try to do note input there, because if I got used to it I'd probably like it better than Notepad.

Quote from: Altissimo on July 12, 2015, 10:24:42 AMI use Musescore for my sheets and I find it to be a lot more user-friendly than Notepad in a lot of ways :p

I agree. There are definitely some aspects of MuseScore that are much more user-friendly. The xml conversion between it and Finale is a nice feature and saving as a PDF eliminates the need for another program. And it covers all bases that Notepad doesn't. It has many more features and probably shouldn't be free. It's that good.

Quote from: Maelstrom on July 12, 2015, 11:01:26 AMEveryone forgets one thing: Notepad is not actually a notation software. It's just basically a free trial version of finale with literally less than 1/3 of the features Finale (year here) has.
I would like to note that you can get a 1-month free trial of Finale 2014, btw.

Yea, true. However, Notepad does do a lot considering it's not a notation program. But that is why MuseScore is better in the end.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Tobbeh99

Quote from: cqk328 on July 12, 2015, 11:16:24 AMThanks! :D I have definitely considered getting Finale. But $600...that's a lot. Unless there's a cheaper, older version, or the trade up option works for Notepad, I'm probably not gonna get it.

Something I and Maelstrom didn't mention: There are more than just notepad and the full version. There are the "middle versions" too: Printmusic and Songwriter. :)

Here are all the products: http://www.finalemusic.com/products/
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on July 12, 2015, 02:06:58 PMSomething I and Maelstrom didn't mention: There are more than just notepad and the full version. There are the "middle versions" too: Printmusic and Songwriter. :)

Here are all the products: http://www.finalemusic.com/products/

Cool! I knew Finale had those products; I didn't realize they were all notation programs. So PrintMusic vs Songwriter: is it worth it to spend the extra money for PrintMusic? If so, what features does it have that Songwriter lacks?

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Tobbeh99

You can even compare them on the website :) http://www.finalemusic.com/products/compare-finale-products/
Btw all their products got a trial version respectively! 
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Sebastian

Not worth it. I'd just get 2014. It's only $200 some places.
At least try the free trial.....

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: mariolegofan on July 12, 2015, 02:59:34 PMNot worth it. I'd just get 2014. It's only $200 some places.
At least try the free trial.....

Yeah, I've seen it at least at $260ish. Now if I found it at $200...that would be awesome. :) Geez, my arrangement thread is turning into musical Ebay or something...

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Sebastian

lol yeah
I totally recommend Finale 2014 then anything. Ever since I got it, I love it.

Btw, do you have Skype?

TheMarioPianist

Hey guys, for the first time in a REALLY long time, I've updated my Personal Arrangement Thread. Check out these new songs and let me know what you think! (Also in OP)

Super Mario Bros. 2 [NES]
NEW! "Overworld" (Replacement)-Accepted All Files
Wii Sports Resort [Wii]
NEW! "Bowling Theme" Collab. with videogamelegodude and LuigiKart-Accepted All Files
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum [DS]
NEW! "Route 209 (Day)" (Replacement)-Submitted All Files

Animal Crossing: New Leaf Arrangement Project Songs

NEW! "K.K. Birthday" (live, aircheck, and music box)-Accepted
NEW! "K.K. Disco" (live, aircheck, and music box)-In Progress

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

I'd really appreciate some critiques! Anyone?

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Tobbeh99

emm I'd like to give you feedback but all your arrangement seem either accepted or submitted, and would be discussed in those threads usually. But one thing I thought is the rhythm in Route 209 (Day), I don't know if those triplets are too strong and beefy, you might want try just one notes in the triplets like the lower note or the higher note and see if it sounds better.

10/10 tobbeh

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on August 29, 2015, 04:22:31 AMemm I'd like to give you feedback but all your arrangement seem either accepted or submitted, and would be discussed in those threads usually. But one thing I thought is the rhythm in Route 209 (Day), I don't know if those triplets are too strong and beefy, you might want try just one notes in the triplets like the lower note or the higher note and see if it sounds better.

Oh yea...I forgot that they're all like submitted or accepted now... They weren't when I posted them. I was definitely questioning changing those triplets. I mean, they are playable technically, but maybe I should cut them down to one note each to make it simpler.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Tobbeh99

Yes. But what I was thinking about wasn't the playability, I don't think they are that hard to play, but rather the sound/texture they produce, and that maybe are too bold for the song having a bit more relaxed feel. Experiment with yourself and see if you find a better solution. :) 

10/10 tobbeh

TheMarioPianist

Ah, I see what you're getting at. Good point, I'll definitely take that into consideration. Maybe once the updaters get to that I'll see what they think about it. They might suggest it themselves!

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Hey guys!

This message is urgent! I have an arrangement of a Rainbow Road medley (very similar to the one I performed on YouTube) except it is written for a steel drum band. This was arranged almost a year ago, when I had no knowledge of beaming. I would really appreciate it if someone could go through this thing, find all my beaming mistakes, and fix them. I suppose I could do it myself, but I'd really love if someone could do that. It is not easy for me because my time is limited, and I'd really like my band to be able to play this. I'd definitely post that on YouTube. Anyway, there are some other things you could fix if you come across them, but some things I want to stay how they are. So here is a list of dos and don'ts.

YOU MAY:
-Fix beaming errors
-Fix accidentals
-Fix my decelerandos (Currently, they aren't playing back. Don't know why.)
-Add rolls where necessary (I was just gonna leave them out, but if anyone is experienced with that and these songs and knows where to put them, go for it.)
-Dynamics (I am willing to do them, but if someone wants to cover those, be my guest.)

YOU MAY NOT:
-Change any notes for accuracy to the original song (Listen, this is a high school steel drum band. Everyone here, including myself, has played anywhere from 1-3 years. I needed to simplify stuff. The bass rhythm of Super Mario Kart's version is a good example.)
-Change pitches or durations (The only thing you should be fixing in the notes is beaming. If you change durations for that, that's fine.)
-Do anything else other than what is under the first list.

I would love your help guys. Thanks! You do not have to have any steel drum knowledge to do this. Just knowledge of proper beaming.

Rainbow Road Medley: [.musx] [.mus]   

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player