[WiiU] Super Mario 3D World - "Super Bell Hill" by TheMarioPianist

Started by Zeta, June 29, 2015, 02:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 07, 2015, 05:40:37 AMHowever, it sounds like this one might take longer than expected until it's ready to go.

This is the thing that's kinda been bothering me. What part, exactly, is making this take longer? I understand I need to make it more playable, and I have taken some steps. But it seems like it's been on the brink of acceptance for like 3 weeks. I just want to know what to do to get it over the edge. Plus, I don't want to temporarily delete this one that I put so much time into just to put another one up that I know could be completed in less than 24 hours. Then, I'd have to wait for the next update to put this one back up, just for my record breaking number of posts on a submission topic to increase exponentially.

Quote from: mariolegofan on August 07, 2015, 08:05:36 AMIs there anything that he has to do other than making it more playable? Cause this one is SO close.....and it'd be awesome to have it on site.
I can help you CQ if you like?

I'd love to have assistance, but the problem is I don't know WHAT to fix. And I don't think you would be able to help unless you did. Once Olimar clarifies, I'd love to hear your input.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Sebastian

sorry

Olimar12345

Alright guys, just relax.

First, CQ: let me explain, that comment was a miscommunication from my end. What I meant was that it looked like it was taking you longer than I think you thought it would. I mean, this one submission has seven pages of comments already. I simply suggested that if you had something you felt was more prepared that you should try submitting that instead, so that we could speed up the process for you. I'm sure none of us planned on or anticipated it taking this many revisions, so I offered you a chance to switch this out if you wanted to work on it on your own some more. It was only a suggestion though, you are not obligated to.

As for wait time, I apologize for that. Lately I've been working privately with the Pokémon RBY project, so I haven't  been in the submissions as much. I'll try to stay somewhat immersed in submissions in the future (this is what I meant when I said having too many projects can slow everything down).

About the playability: Unlike simple errors, such as wrong notes or rhythms, playability isn't a one-answer kind of issue. This is where the "arranging" happens, you need to find a creative way to make it more accessible and still retain the character of the piece. I might be able to lend a helping hand once I get home tonight though. To help with this for now, try browsing the site and observing what other arrangers have done to get ideas of what you could do.

Mlf:
Quote from: mariolegofan on August 07, 2015, 08:30:09 AMI honestly think it's ready to go (Alas, I am not an Updater though). There might be a few parts that are a little hard to play as a human, but we'll wait to what Olimar says.

Comments like these are unnecessary. You are free to comment on the arrangement at hand, but it is up to me and the other updaters to give the final verdict on arrangements being approved/accepted. Saying that you think an arrangement is "ready to go" only causes confusion and frustration when an updater comes along and says it isn't. I have told you this several times privately in the past, please just let the updaters do their jobs.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Olimar12345

So I was fiddling around with the arrangement, and imo 3-20 works much better without the upper layer in the LH. I'd still try to find a way to combine or incorporate a bit from both the second layer in the RH and the second layer in the LH into one accompaniment for just the LH to play. I also like what you started to do with the LH in the second section at mm. 21. My advice would be to keep it all in one layer until it splits into two, then use two layers. Also use layer one when you only have one layer in use.

Another formatting glitch I have found is that the title and page number on page two are much smaller than page one. I think something went wrong when you imported it into finale, because the page scaling for both pages match but the text is still significantly smaller on page two. Those two things need to be the same size as the composer/arranger, 12 pitch font.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

TheMarioPianist

About the page two formatting thing, I could tell it looked smaller. When I try to change the font size, it has 12 pt checked. I have no idea why.

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

So Olimar, for clarity's sake, you want me to take the 2nd layers from both the right and left hands and make them reasonable to be played in just the left hand? The layer stuff in page 2 will be a piece of cake; some of it is just still in the 2nd layer bc there used to be 2 layers. Now the text is really weird. I inserted both of those via the text inserts, page # and title respectively. I'll fool around with them some more, but they say they are 12pt font even though they obviously are not.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Got yet another new mus file posted. It fixes the layer issues. However, I think the text on page 2 is still to small. Apparently 12pt on pg 2 is not equal to 12pt on page 1. Took out the second layer on page 1. Still don't know how I'm going to fill in that left hand. I'll fool around with it.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Olimar12345

Idk what happened to your page scaling on page 2, but it would be faster and easier to just copy/paste everything into a new file rather than figure it out. The Xml file transfer process is messy and may often results in errors such as this.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 08, 2015, 10:58:05 PMIdk what happened to your page scaling on page 2, but it would be faster and easier to just copy/paste everything into a new file rather than figure it out. The Xml file transfer process is messy and may often results in errors such as this.

Well see, that's the thing. I don't have any xml transfers involved with this song. Ever since I got Finale 2014 I haven't had to use xml at all. Unless a transfer from a really long time ago could affect that...Anyway, I'll probably move it into a new file.

UPDATE: The layer and text issues are both fixed now. I might have an idea on what to do with the left hand, but for now this is what I have. (New mus and musx file in OP) Plus...

Quote from: Bespinben on July 23, 2015, 04:19:55 AMOh, and REALLY listen carefully to those chords at m. 19-20. There's some really funky 7ths that really make that progression jiving.

Bespinben, you should be happy; I think I finally figured out those 7ths!

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Made my first attempt at filling in the left hand a bit. Basically just took the rhythm from layer 2 in the right hand and stuck it into the left as well. Due to the way the left hand is presented, it is displayed a little differently. Let me know what you think!

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Bespinben

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on August 09, 2015, 07:37:47 PMMade my first attempt at filling in the left hand a bit. Basically just took the rhythm from layer 2 in the right hand and stuck it into the left as well.
YES! Smart move. I use a similar method when adapting percussion parts to the piano.

I'm happy with this accompaniment. If you're not burnt-out just yet, are you familiar with the concept of spacing in harmony (close vs. open)? Particularly on page 1, I feel like the accompaniment gets little "mushy" sometimes because you have closely spaced bass chords (ex: m. 3, 5, 11, & 13). Fiddle around with what sounds pleasant, and look specifically at the chord to see if you're doubling certain notes that don't need to be (ex: m. 3 -- the doubled 3rd [A] of the F chord).
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Bespinben on August 09, 2015, 10:45:45 PMYES! Smart move. I use a similar method when adapting percussion parts to the piano.

I'm happy with this accompaniment. If you're not burnt-out just yet, are you familiar with the concept of spacing in harmony (close vs. open)? Particularly on page 1, I feel like the accompaniment gets little "mushy" sometimes because you have closely spaced bass chords (ex: m. 3, 5, 11, & 13). Fiddle around with what sounds pleasant, and look specifically at the chord to see if you're doubling certain notes that don't need to be (ex: m. 3 -- the doubled 3rd [A] of the F chord).

Yea, I didn't think about spacing as much this time through. I kind of took it as a first draft so I at least had something for you guys to go off of. Now that I've taken a break from it and went to that Bowling theme for a little bit, I can get rid of the mushiness. I knew it sounded "mushy" as I was doing it, but I thought it was better to have something than nothing.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Surprisingly, I don't think my chords were as bad as I thought they were. They should be less "mushy" now.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Olimar12345

In an effort to push this along, I made some edits. Check out [this] version and tell me what you think of it.

Sebastian

Great!
I just have a question. Couldn't you just put it in 2/2?