News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

[WiiU] Super Mario 3D World - "Super Bell Hill" by TheMarioPianist

Started by Zeta, June 29, 2015, 02:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMarioPianist

And for some reason 3 question marks in a row=;). Because that makes sense. Anyway now that I have some time before my flight takes off, I can explain myself better. First of all, Bespinben doesn't need to be the one to update it. But whoever does PLEASE upload a PDF. That's the only file type I can read on my phone. Also, if there are other minor changes either aesthetically or notationally, please feel free to make them. I think there are more scenarios like measure 21 where 2 tied eighths and an untied eighth are beamed together. Stuff like that you can fix. However, if there are too many changes and it becomes too much of your work, then just leave comments on what to fix and I will get to it next Friday night or Saturday. If you make changes that make the sheet acceptable, don't accept the sheet right away. Give me a day or 2 to look at it. If I don't say anything by 2 days, then you can accept it. Thanks in advance! I won't have any more wifi until next Friday, but I will be able to use cell service occasionally. Keep me posted!  :)
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 06, 2015, 09:47:06 AMHave you made the necessary changes yet?

Somewhere halfway through the 4th thread I kinda got lost on what I was supposed to do. Bespinben said "let the following only apply to m. 1-20" and I tried to do it for the whole thing. I don't think there are any unreachable chords and I took out some thirds that were unplayable due to speed. Let me know if there's anything else.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Olimar12345

For clarity's sake, have you made these changes yet?

Quote from: Olimar12345 on July 23, 2015, 08:32:46 PMI'll just leave these comments here:

-Why is there a third ending? It should just have the first and second.
-Your title and subtitle aren't center-aligned.
-Your composer and arranger names aren't right-aligned.
-Your copyright info isn't center-aligned.
-Missing the title on page two.
-Missing the page number on page two.
-You have an inconsistency with a rhythm in the first layer of the LH in a few spots. measure 5 and 21 have the same rhythm in the first layer of the LH, but in 21 you also beam all three notes together. Generally, you use a tie when you can't use a larger note value meaning that the situation wouldn't be bared together anyway, so it looks odd. Either tie the eighth notes without beams, or make them all quarter notes.
-The articulation in the intro seems like it could have been chosen better. I'd have done staccato - staccato - slur - staccato - accent - marcato.
-Over all, the piece sounds pretty cool in finale, but it seems way to difficult, almost like it was written for finale and not a pianist. try to keep in mind most people only have two hands. d:
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 06, 2015, 10:24:45 AMFor clarity's sake, have you made these changes yet?

Hmm, that's weird. I did make those ones. Somehow, I must have forgotten to upload the files. I'm a very forgetful person, if you haven't figured that out yet. The new ones are up now. And that mix up that happened in 21 and 23 was due to Finale's automatic beaming. I probably saw it and then completely forgot to manually break them. I told you, I'm very forgetful :). Now in the last point, you say that it was almost like it was written for Finale, and I gotta say, that is a very accurate statement. It just seems too perfect, almost. Too perfect for most anyone to have the ability to play. The funny thing is, there are no impossible stretches nor crazy thirds or anything. Its indescribable, I think. I want to make it more manageable (partially because I want to learn to play it, too) but at the same time not make it sound dull or thin. I've been playing with a few ideas, but I don't know exactly what I should do. Any ideas on how to make this piece a little more human?

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Olimar12345

My best piece of advice would be to print out as it is and take it to a piano. Take it as slow as you need and try to play what you have written. It's usually then that you realize what works and what doesn't work.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 06, 2015, 12:20:33 PMMy best piece of advice would be to print out as it is and take it to a piano. Take it as slow as you need and try to play what you have written. It's usually then that you realize what works and what doesn't work.

Ok, so I have fiddled around with playing it. I don't think there are any issues in the right hand. However, the left hand is killer on page 2. Now I'm no expert at the piano, and I'm a terrible sight reader, but I think 10 years of piano experience will suffice. That syncopated guitar rhythm just does not mesh with the oom-PA feel Bespinben talked about a few posts back. I mean, I think its better to lose the guitar than the entire feel of the piece. Also, another thing that Bespinben mentioned. The chords in 19 and 20 seem to have something missing, some kind of seventh. I'm having difficulty pinpointing that chord. If you could help me out with that it would be great. Thanks!

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Ok, I'm gonna take out the guitar part from page 2. Like Bespinben said:
Quote from: Bespinben on July 23, 2015, 04:19:55 AMNotice how the percussion track really emphasizes that "oom-PA oom-PA" sort of sound, whereas it didn't in m. 3-18? Try to bring back some of that spirit.

Oh, and REALLY listen carefully to those chords at m. 19-20. There's some really funky 7ths that really make that progression jiving.

Oh yea, and that 19 and 20 thing. I'll come back to that. But I want to simplify the bass on the first page too. Any ideas? I want to keep the rhythm of the guitar part but try to keep the part within an octave to tenth in terms of range between the lowest and highest key played. So the highest key I would want played in the bass part would be the C below middle C. (Tenor C, I think its called?) Unless I should move the bass line up an octave. Then the highest note would be middle C. That might be too high though. Let me know what you think.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Ok, I updated the musx only showing what I had in mind for pg 2. Now if you could give me some advice on how to simplify the bass on the first page, that would be great. Oh yea, and the chords on measures 19 and 20 that Bespinben mentioned.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

I attempted fixing up the first page too. Tell me what you think!

Only updated the musx, remember.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Olimar12345

I myself cannot view musx files (Finale 2012 user here). However, it sounds like this one might take longer than expected until it's ready to go. If you have something else that you feel is in better shape than this one, you can always submit that and hold of on this one until it's ready.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 07, 2015, 05:40:37 AMI myself cannot view musx files (Finale 2012 user here). However, it sounds like this one might take longer than expected until it's ready to go. If you have something else that you feel is in better shape than this one, you can always submit that and hold of on this one until it's ready.

Sorry! Forgot about that. Updated the mus now too. In terms of submitting something else, I kinda can't...my 2 submissions are already used up. It sucks, because I do have 2 different songs that are definitely ready.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Olimar12345

If you would like, I can close this one for you, freeing up one submission.

Sebastian

Is there anything that he has to do other than making it more playable? Cause this one is SO close.....and it'd be awesome to have it on site.
I can help you CQ if you like?