[WiiU] Super Mario 3D World - "Super Bell Hill" by TheMarioPianist

Started by Zeta, June 29, 2015, 02:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Maelstrom on July 15, 2015, 06:46:13 PMIf you don't agree with Bespinben, just say so, and explain yourself. It's your arrangement after all.

Oh, its not that I don't agree, I just didn't even realize there was a guitar part before. The only objection I have is that it may affect MY ability to play the song. That's not criticism of what Bespinben told me to do. I'm perfectly fine with the changes. New files will be up any second, btw.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

New files are up with a completed guitar part. Let me know what you think.

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Bespinben

(I was just finishing typing up a reply, until I noticed the files were updated XD)
(Let the following apply only to m. 1-20 then.)
---------------
Quote from: Maelstrom on July 15, 2015, 06:46:13 PMIf you don't agree with Bespinben, just say so, and explain yourself. It's your arrangement after all.
My goal isn't to load this arrangement up with a ton of fluff -- it was good to begin with from the start. However, you can't reduce and simplify something if you don't know all the original parts, something cqk328 stated he had trouble discerning (ex: the guitar line). This was often why a lot of my early 2011 arrangements were duets, as they were moreso a preliminary transcription of a song in preparation for the forthcoming solo arrangement.

That said, seeing now that that cqk328 HAS written out all the parts, now we can trim the fat, so to speak. We can (and should) omit a lot of the chords from the guitar line, picking the ones that best represent its melodic contour and inverting as necessary to fit within a human handspan (10th max). We should also consider trimming down the RH as well where appropriate (like the 3rds for example).

To give an example, I reworked what cqk328 has done for m. 1-20.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35209091/SM3DW%20-%20Super%20Bell%20Hill%20%28demo%20ver%202%29.musx

(Also, since we're getting near to the end of the arranging end of things, start taking note of the specific formatting principles in my example sheet [like the measure distribution]. Good aesthetics go a long way.)

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Bespinben on July 15, 2015, 07:37:32 PM(I was just finishing typing up a reply, until I noticed the files were updated XD)
(Let the following apply only to m. 1-20 then.)
---------------My goal isn't to load this arrangement up with a ton of fluff -- it was good to begin with from the start. However, you can't reduce and simplify something if you don't know all the original parts, something cqk328 stated he had trouble discerning (ex: the guitar line). This was often why a lot of my early 2011 arrangements were duets, as they were moreso a preliminary transcription of a song in preparation for the forthcoming solo arrangement.

That said, seeing now that that cqk328 HAS written out all the parts, now we can trim the fat, so to speak. We can (and should) omit a lot of the chords from the guitar line, picking the ones that best represent its melodic contour and inverting as necessary to fit within a human handspan (10th max). We should also consider trimming down the RH as well where appropriate (like the 3rds for example).

To give an example, I reworked what cqk328 has done for m. 1-20.

(Also, since we're getting near to the end of the arranging end of things, start taking note of the specific formatting principles in my example sheet [like the measure distribution]. Good aesthetics go a long way.)

I agree completely. I knew that when I left some stuff out the first time I arranged this, updaters would eventually want me to put it back in so they could see where it fit and where it didn't. So this "trimming the fat" stuff only applies to 1-20 or should I start removing stuff from the rest? Oh yea, and about the measures, is there something to do in Finale 2014 about measure distribution, or do you just adjust them manually?

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Btw updated the files with your 1-20 changes. Man, I'm starting to feel like this is more Bespinben's then mine :D. I know it's not, but still.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Latios212

Quote from: Bespinben on May 31, 2015, 01:26:27 PMI've kind of made it a tradition of mine to "man-handle" at least once the sheet of a user I've never gotten to critique before. This way, I feel like you can see the ideal form of what an arrangement could look like, and model accordingly for future sheets (thus preventing me from enacting further privacy invasions :P).
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

TheMarioPianist

Hey, its a good strategy! Never said there was anything wrong with it! :)

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Oh yea, and I updated all files (except the midi, of course) to show better measure distribution. Much more aesthetically pleasing, if I may say so myself.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Olimar12345

Just want to let you know that your arrangement is under the wrong title. The version you have arranged is known as "Super Mario 3D World Theme." Super Bell Hill has many differences, the biggest two being that they both have a different introduction, and "Super Mario 3D World Theme" plays differently on the repeat, with an ending, whereas Super Bell Hill simply repeats indefinitely after about a minute. You seem to have elements of both mixed into this : /
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Olimar12345 on July 17, 2015, 07:25:16 PMJust want to let you know that your arrangement is under the wrong title. The version you have arranged is known as "Super Mario 3D World Theme." Super Bell Hill has many differences, the biggest two being that they both have a different introduction, and "Super Mario 3D World Theme" plays differently on the repeat, with an ending, whereas Super Bell Hill simply repeats indefinitely after about a minute. You seem to have elements of both mixed into this : /

I could be wrong, but I think the only thing I have from the theme song arrangement is the extra 2 measures of intro. And to be fair, those measures do play when you play Super Bell Hill in game. Since that's the only course where the extra intro plays, I should probably get rid of it. Let me know if there are any other aspects of the theme song that shouldn't be in Super Bell Hill.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Olimar12345

Not really sure which tune you want to arrange, but if you're going to stick with Super Bell Hill, you could use this version for starters:

And the intro for this one isn't just he last half of the other one. This one starts on beat one, as opposed to the up beat of four, and the sax pick ups are a different rhythm.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Olimar12345 on July 17, 2015, 08:16:56 PMNot really sure which tune you want to arrange, but if you're going to stick with Super Bell Hill, you could use this version for starters:

And the intro for this one isn't just he last half of the other one. This one starts on beat one, as opposed to the up beat of four, and the sax pick ups are a different rhythm.

Ok, I listened through this one, and it sounds like aside from the intro, these songs are identical (and ignoring the second repeat through the theme song that has the key change). I slipped up on my words, too. I meant to say they were ALMOST the same. Not exactly. My bad.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Ok, the files have been updated. I fixed the intro and one small rhythm (that was probably incorrect already), but like I said, they're almost the same.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Bespinben

Quote from: Olimar12345 on July 17, 2015, 08:16:56 PMNot really sure which tune you want to arrange, but if you're going to stick with Super Bell Hill, you could use this version for starters:

You can't trust Youtube OSTs. Watch this LP of World 1-1... the WHOLE 4 measures are part of the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhQQRc1RehY
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Bespinben on July 17, 2015, 10:12:50 PMYou can't trust Youtube OSTs. Watch this LP of World 1-1... the WHOLE 4 measures are part of the intro.

Yep, that has come up before. When this track is played in ANY other "Overworld" level BESIDES Super Bell Hill, those first two are omitted. The whole 3D World OST (which I have in my Unofficial 3D World project thread) lists Super Bell Hill and the  Theme Song of Super Mario 3D World as two different songs, and only the latter contains the lengthened intro. I think its best to leave it out. Since this much of the two songs is similar, I'll probably just end up arranging both and putting the longer intro in the other one.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player