News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

[GBA] Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald - "Battle! (Trainer Battle)" by JDMEK5

Started by Zeta, June 23, 2015, 09:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
Console: Game Boy Advance
Title: Battle! (Trainer Battle)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: JDMEK5

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

JDMEK5

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Tobbeh99

Great arrangement! A few thoughts I have:
1) measures 40-44, put an accent or a text like fz, sf, on those high notes. They do sound stronger if you listen to the original song.
2) measures 59-66, maybe try using the top arpeggios as a bass, to add variety to the bass.
3) some more dynamics would be nice. Here are some suggestions:
I'm thinking that most of the arrangement could be in mf, or mp and mf( mp for the strings/horns parts, mf for the trumpet parts). Other than that:
measures 1-2: ff for a strong start , and a dim. in the end of measure 2.
measures 3-6: mp
measures 7-10: mf, with accents on the high notes.
measure 40: cresc.
measures 41-44: dim.
measures 45-51: mp
measures 51-54: cresc.
measure 55: f
measures 55-56: dim
measure 56: mp
measures 61-70(as in measures 3-6): mp
measures 71-74(as in measures 7-10): mf + accents on the first two high notes.

4) in the last two systems, why did you make it 4, 3 measures/system? I suggest moving one measure down to make it 4,4. 
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

JDMEK5

1) I like that. Added.
2) This I'm not sure about. I get what you mean but in a case like this, I feel like I should stick to the original. I'd be more inclined to change it up if this was a remade version from a later remake or something.
3) Actually here I'm going to disagree with you a bit. I'll do some where I deem necessary but for the most part I like to leave plenty of room for interpretation on these original-console versions. Just to add somebody's personal flair. I mean, who wants to listen to a piano play an exact replica of a GBA? For musicality reasons, I'm going to be sparse with my dynamics.
4) Mistake. Thanks for catching that.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

Latios212

Dang, you always have amazing submissions.

In measures 41-44 is there another way to write the low RH notes, like on the bottom staff or something? All those ledger lines are pretty awkward...
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

JDMEK5

Quote from: Latios212 on June 27, 2015, 09:51:09 PMDang, you always have amazing submissions.

In measures 41-44 is there another way to write the low RH notes, like on the bottom staff or something? All those ledger lines are pretty awkward...
Thanks!

Eh, it doesn't seem awkward at all to me though maybe that's my guitarist side coming out. :P I could throw an octava bassa in there I suppose but I'm not sure how I feel about using both 8va and 8va bassa in the same staff at the same time. All I need is a witness to say, "Yes, that's fine and legit and dandy and go right ahead and do it." before I do it.

My Arrangements

Tobbeh99

8vb and 8va at the same time doesn't make sense. Either have it as it is, or write the notes in the bass clef.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

JDMEK5

Eh, I think I'll leave it as is. If it works enough (which it does) then there's not much reason to go and change it. Thanks for all the critique though!

My Arrangements

FireArrow

I could be totally off bass here (geddit?), but it's switching between different modes of C (namely C phrygian and C mixolydian) so the easiest way to notate this would be without any sharps or flats in the key signature. Otherwise, for the sake of consistency, you'd have to constantly be switching between F major and Ab Major with an iffy C major in there.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

JDMEK5

Quote from: FireArrow on June 28, 2015, 10:23:58 PMI could be totally off bass here (geddit?), but it's switching between different modes of C (namely C phrygian and C mixolydian) so the easiest way to notate this would be without any sharps or flats in the key signature. Otherwise, for the sake of consistency, you'd have to constantly be switching between F major and Ab Major with an iffy C major in there.
I'm not usually very picky when it comes to key sigs in a battle theme because they always modulate usually a whole tone back and forth. For the most part it's in C mixolydian so I just left it that way and I'll just use accidentals to work the other things. The minor 2nd above the tonic is a common thing for many battle themes in both games and movies but usually it's only used as an interval/chord modulation. I don't consider it worth a key of its own.

My Arrangements

FireArrow

Still, wouldn't just putting in C major encompass the entire piece better? Eh, I'll stop while I'm ahead, I don't wanna start another Jompa war on modes and key sigs.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

JDMEK5

Haha yeah either C major all the way or C mixolydian all the way are my two most preferred options. Though mixolydian is indeed a thing, so why not use it?

My Arrangements

JDMEK5

My Arrangements

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

JDMEK5

My Arrangements