News:

Up-to-date news?! Preposterous!

Main Menu

Is it "bad" to use three staves a lot?

Started by Pianist Da Sootopolis, June 23, 2015, 05:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pianist Da Sootopolis

So, on top of the first song I'm arranging, I also decided to pick up Pyrite Building from Pokemon Colosseum (link at the end of the post).
Because there are "three voices", so to speak, during a lot of it, I've decided to use three staves, as the online notation program I'm using right now only allows two voices (it's the only program I've found to be intuitive enough for me to actually enjoy arranging, lol). So I've just taken to using three staves, two treble and one bass.
Is this necessarily "bad"? Would an arrangement be less likely to be accepted because of it? With my other arrangement (A grand tale of time and darkness) I'm doing it basically out of necessity, but with this one it's more of a personal taste thing.
The song in general, to include all three voices, includes some awkward hand positions to maintain legato (the largest stretch as of right now is a 7th, but it puts your hand into an awkward position to be playing two voices).
I personally love doing this, as I can notate this more clearly. That said, I could also notate it in two staves, albeit slightly more difficultly (and the sheet would look messier).
Thoughts?
what is shitpost

Maelstrom

I think it's pretty much discouraged for any sheets that would go on the site.
If you just want it to go on your arrangment page, go right ahead.

Bespinben

Quote from: Maelstrom on June 23, 2015, 06:01:41 PMI think it's pretty much discouraged for any sheets that would go on the site.
If you just want it to go on your arrangment page, go right ahead.
Woah woah woah. There's quite a few 3 staff sheets on-site (and not just my own stuff).

Three staves is perfectly acceptable if you're doing it for a good reason (like notational clarity). For example, I fixed up the recent Yooka-Laylee "Jungle World" submission to split in 3 staves at m. 28, because otherwise it would result in many unnecessary clef changes.

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Many thanks!
EDIT: I should probably mention that even though there's three staves, there isn't a TON of stuff there, so it's still relatively easy to read (and would be embarrassingly messy if I used two).
what is shitpost

JDMEK5

Yeah, I don't see why it would be "bad". It's so practical. In fact, I myself am doing a certain arrangement from Assassin's Creed right now involving 3 staves.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Bespinben

Writing PMD2 (Sky) "In the Morning Sun" with 3 staves for a 4-measure passage works wonders:

(Full arrangement coming soon to a forum near you!)
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday