What in the world is up with this song

Started by Latios212, June 23, 2015, 11:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

I started arranging this song, and the good news is, the notes are pretty easily discernible and they repeat a lot.

On first glance, the high notes appeared to be random, but in fact they repeat in a rhythm of 21 sixteenth notes (wat). What's stranger is that this is continuously played over the other two voices, which are in 4/4, so everything is misaligned. Furthermore, the 21/16 rhythm is broken by 2-measure gaps every 40 or so seconds. And the melody repeats itself every 30ish seconds, while it takes the lowest voice over a minute to repeat. Not to mention it all sounds the same after a while.

The problem is, I can't for the life of me find where this song starts repeating. Someone either help me find the repeat point, or help me find a way to abbreviate this sheet, because I don't think it should drag on for pages given that there's only a few measures worth of different notes.

Oh yeah, key signature, too.

And the sheet: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bw4f4g25zama53j/AACfJZV0uSKRYVBuBph6odAea?dl=1

Halp, please. This song is getting to my head.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Tobbeh99

Well I haven't listened enough to judge if there are 3 voices that keep repeating over and over again, but with different intervals. But I still think it might be a wise idea to arrange to a certain point, and then fade it out. You'll get no repeat, but if you can't find a repeat point, there maybe isn't one.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Latios212

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on June 23, 2015, 12:01:47 PMBut I still think it might be a wise idea to arrange to a certain point, and then fade it out. You'll get no repeat, but if you can't find a repeat point, there maybe isn't one.
I think this would be best.

Also I'm not sure if there's a clearer way of notating the top voice, as it definitely repeats its one 21/16 measure over and over but it doesn't look like that the wacky way they are beamed in 4/4.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Brawler4Ever

00:14 - 1:04 = 50 s
1:04 - 2:08 = 54 s
2:08 - 3:12 = 54 s
3:12 - 4:16 = 64 s
4:16 - 5:22 = 66 s
5:22 - 6:26 = 66 s

I'm assuming that the song repeats after the 4 whole notes found at 00:57 (in your sheets, measures 33-36). Comparing this repeat to other times that the song comes to this point, then presumably repeats, you get the above pattern. From what I can tell, they are not the same. Each iteration has a distinct feature. I can't tell what they are, but it would appear that later iterations add anywhere between a few notes to several measures to the song.
Compare 5:20 with measures 10-12 in your sheet. Measure 10 does not have a quarter rest, but the song does. Measure 12 has a quarter rest, but the song does not. Pretty much everything after that matches (with a few differences).
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

Latios212

Quote from: Brawler4Ever on June 23, 2015, 01:16:36 PMEach iteration has a distinct feature. I can't tell what they are, but it would appear that later iterations add anywhere between a few notes to several measures to the song.
Compare 5:20 with measures 10-12 in your sheet. Measure 10 does not have a quarter rest, but the song does. Measure 12 has a quarter rest, but the song does not. Pretty much everything after that matches (with a few differences).
*headdesk* so this song is indeed just as crazy as it sounds. Thanks for the help!

As suggested, I'll try to find a decent place to cut it off. I think anything past a minute is a little excessive for this track (though I'll never underestimate it again...)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Brawler4Ever

How about something like this?

I had to convert it to an xml file to get the repeat to work, so please ignore everything except the last 4 measures. Each iteration shares that same ending, going back to the measure that you put the beginning repeat on. For simplicity's sake, I suggest keeping the general form that you have, and repeating at measure 36. It wouldn't be a "perfect" arrangement, but I think that it would be fine. Who wants to memorize 7 pages of 16th note variations? :P
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

Latios212

Don't worry about the formatting I'll get to that when the notes are all in place.

I like the idea of looping after measure 36, since the whole notes seem to signify the end of a "section". However, the only gripe I have about that is that the 21/16 rhythm will be disrupted when it jumps back to the repeat sign. It connects perfectly back to the beginning of the song, though, so I'll probably leave it at that. I hope no one will mind that the middle voice gets messed up for a bit haha.

Quote from: Brawler4Ever on June 23, 2015, 04:37:45 PMWho wants to memorize 7 pages of 16th note variations? :P
Pretty much. I actually went into this one just trying to figure out the structure (and boy, everything is even more misaligned than I thought), but I might as well finish it up after a reasonable amount of measures :P

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

InsigTurtle

You could do this with a more contemporary approach, by writing the melody separate from those 16th notes, writing the 16th notes somewhere else, and adding a direction to play those notes on repeat. I don't quite remember the names of any examples of what I'm talking about, and I'm not sure how Finale's playback would handle it, but I guess it might work for what you're dealing with?

Latios212

Quote from: InsigTurtle on June 23, 2015, 05:55:27 PMYou could do this with a more contemporary approach, by writing the melody separate from those 16th notes, writing the 16th notes somewhere else, and adding a direction to play those notes on repeat. I don't quite remember the names of any examples of what I'm talking about, and I'm not sure how Finale's playback would handle it, but I guess it might work for what you're dealing with?
I agree that this handles the alignment correctly, but I think that if someone were to play it, they'd have a lot of trouble figuring out which notes align with which...
Hm.

edit: what it looks like for now -
[GBC] Pokémon Red, Blue, and Yellow

"Pokémon Mansion" (weirdest song ever): NEW!
[MUS]

Spoiler
[close]
turtle