News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

What in the world is up with this song

Started by Latios212, June 23, 2015, 11:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

I started arranging this song, and the good news is, the notes are pretty easily discernible and they repeat a lot.

On first glance, the high notes appeared to be random, but in fact they repeat in a rhythm of 21 sixteenth notes (wat). What's stranger is that this is continuously played over the other two voices, which are in 4/4, so everything is misaligned. Furthermore, the 21/16 rhythm is broken by 2-measure gaps every 40 or so seconds. And the melody repeats itself every 30ish seconds, while it takes the lowest voice over a minute to repeat. Not to mention it all sounds the same after a while.

The problem is, I can't for the life of me find where this song starts repeating. Someone either help me find the repeat point, or help me find a way to abbreviate this sheet, because I don't think it should drag on for pages given that there's only a few measures worth of different notes.

Oh yeah, key signature, too.

And the sheet: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bw4f4g25zama53j/AACfJZV0uSKRYVBuBph6odAea?dl=1

Halp, please. This song is getting to my head.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Tobbeh99

Well I haven't listened enough to judge if there are 3 voices that keep repeating over and over again, but with different intervals. But I still think it might be a wise idea to arrange to a certain point, and then fade it out. You'll get no repeat, but if you can't find a repeat point, there maybe isn't one.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Latios212

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on June 23, 2015, 12:01:47 PMBut I still think it might be a wise idea to arrange to a certain point, and then fade it out. You'll get no repeat, but if you can't find a repeat point, there maybe isn't one.
I think this would be best.

Also I'm not sure if there's a clearer way of notating the top voice, as it definitely repeats its one 21/16 measure over and over but it doesn't look like that the wacky way they are beamed in 4/4.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Brawler4Ever

00:14 - 1:04 = 50 s
1:04 - 2:08 = 54 s
2:08 - 3:12 = 54 s
3:12 - 4:16 = 64 s
4:16 - 5:22 = 66 s
5:22 - 6:26 = 66 s

I'm assuming that the song repeats after the 4 whole notes found at 00:57 (in your sheets, measures 33-36). Comparing this repeat to other times that the song comes to this point, then presumably repeats, you get the above pattern. From what I can tell, they are not the same. Each iteration has a distinct feature. I can't tell what they are, but it would appear that later iterations add anywhere between a few notes to several measures to the song.
Compare 5:20 with measures 10-12 in your sheet. Measure 10 does not have a quarter rest, but the song does. Measure 12 has a quarter rest, but the song does not. Pretty much everything after that matches (with a few differences).
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

Latios212

Quote from: Brawler4Ever on June 23, 2015, 01:16:36 PMEach iteration has a distinct feature. I can't tell what they are, but it would appear that later iterations add anywhere between a few notes to several measures to the song.
Compare 5:20 with measures 10-12 in your sheet. Measure 10 does not have a quarter rest, but the song does. Measure 12 has a quarter rest, but the song does not. Pretty much everything after that matches (with a few differences).
*headdesk* so this song is indeed just as crazy as it sounds. Thanks for the help!

As suggested, I'll try to find a decent place to cut it off. I think anything past a minute is a little excessive for this track (though I'll never underestimate it again...)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Brawler4Ever

How about something like this?

I had to convert it to an xml file to get the repeat to work, so please ignore everything except the last 4 measures. Each iteration shares that same ending, going back to the measure that you put the beginning repeat on. For simplicity's sake, I suggest keeping the general form that you have, and repeating at measure 36. It wouldn't be a "perfect" arrangement, but I think that it would be fine. Who wants to memorize 7 pages of 16th note variations? :P
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

Latios212

Don't worry about the formatting I'll get to that when the notes are all in place.

I like the idea of looping after measure 36, since the whole notes seem to signify the end of a "section". However, the only gripe I have about that is that the 21/16 rhythm will be disrupted when it jumps back to the repeat sign. It connects perfectly back to the beginning of the song, though, so I'll probably leave it at that. I hope no one will mind that the middle voice gets messed up for a bit haha.

Quote from: Brawler4Ever on June 23, 2015, 04:37:45 PMWho wants to memorize 7 pages of 16th note variations? :P
Pretty much. I actually went into this one just trying to figure out the structure (and boy, everything is even more misaligned than I thought), but I might as well finish it up after a reasonable amount of measures :P

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

InsigTurtle

You could do this with a more contemporary approach, by writing the melody separate from those 16th notes, writing the 16th notes somewhere else, and adding a direction to play those notes on repeat. I don't quite remember the names of any examples of what I'm talking about, and I'm not sure how Finale's playback would handle it, but I guess it might work for what you're dealing with?

Latios212

Quote from: InsigTurtle on June 23, 2015, 05:55:27 PMYou could do this with a more contemporary approach, by writing the melody separate from those 16th notes, writing the 16th notes somewhere else, and adding a direction to play those notes on repeat. I don't quite remember the names of any examples of what I'm talking about, and I'm not sure how Finale's playback would handle it, but I guess it might work for what you're dealing with?
I agree that this handles the alignment correctly, but I think that if someone were to play it, they'd have a lot of trouble figuring out which notes align with which...
Hm.

edit: what it looks like for now -
[GBC] Pokémon Red, Blue, and Yellow

"Pokémon Mansion" (weirdest song ever): NEW!
[MUS]

Spoiler
[close]
turtle