News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

How long does it take you to write an arrangement of around 2 minutes?

Started by Pianist Da Sootopolis, June 21, 2015, 12:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How long does it take you to write an arrangement of around 2 minutes?

Less than an hour
0 (0%)
1-2 hours
1 (7.7%)
3-4 hours
3 (23.1%)
5-6 hours
3 (23.1%)
7-8 hours
1 (7.7%)
9-10 hours
0 (0%)
11+ hours
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I work really slowly, have spent the last three hours or so on 6 measures.
I work painstakingly slow, but everything sounds 110% authentic... though I'm sure when I submit it people will find flaws  ::)
How fast do you all work?
what is shitpost

Maelstrom

It depends on the complexity.  When I have trouble with a section, I find that I get done quicker if I just do the melody and add the harmonies a little later. I can also take a ridiculously long time with the beginnings of songs simply because I get caught up in the design choices. Your stated speed is pretty slow, but, if it's a complex song, you may be moving pretty quickly.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Maelstrom on June 21, 2015, 07:43:20 AMIt depends on the complexity.  When I have trouble with a section, I find that I get done quicker if I just do the melody and add the harmonies a little later. I can also take a ridiculously long time with the beginnings of songs simply because I get caught up in the design choices. Your stated speed is pretty slow, but, if it's a complex song, you may be moving pretty quickly.
It's not all that complex. It's this one, the one I've decided to arrange.
I'm actually using an in-browser notation program, since I can work faster with it than anything else, so once it's done I can transfer it to musescore or download the trial of Finale 2014.
But trying to do things on Finale (or even Musescore, though it's better) is just.. agh
what is shitpost

JDMEK5

For me it depends mostly on two things: 1) The quality and easiness of the derivations of the parts I'm arranging from the recording, and 2) How good I want to make it. I don't finish anything I'm not pleased with obviously but sometimes I really try really hard and that takes a lot longer.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Tobbeh99

It's difficult for me to say mainly because of 1) the difficulty/complexity of the song 2) I usually doesn't make my arrangements in one straight go, and also often work on different arrangements at the same time. But I'd guess 5-6 hours.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

braix

I can pluck out the melody in like 5 minutesish but everything else takes me really long
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Latios212

Quote from: braixen1264 on June 21, 2015, 05:52:09 PMI can pluck out the melody in like 5 minutesish but everything else takes me really long

This is me.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Sebastian

For me, it depends on multiple things.
1. How long is the song?

2. What is the difficulty of the song?

3. How many notes are in the song? Like is it a whole bunch of sixteenth notes or a lot of half and quarter notes?

4. Is the song really syncopated or straight forward?

5. Are the voices in the song hard to hear?

etc. etc. etc.
I could go on and on but you get the point.
It doesn't really matter how long it takes but how much time you're willing to put into it. I recommend taking your time and putting your whole heart into each song not speeding through and making really obvious mistakes :P

mikey

unmotivated

Pianist Da Sootopolis

what is shitpost

mikey

unmotivated