General Pokémon Mystery Dungeon

Started by K-NiGhT, June 18, 2015, 08:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altissimo

Lol the anniversary isn't really a consideration, I need something I can make an argument for. I might not end up doing PMD at all if I can't present a good case for it anyway so it may not even happen. But the other two are true :v

@noc: yeah well by that time i probably will have started the sequel to my smogon run hahaha. But I'll probably be using NSM transcriptions and personal transcriptions for resources rather than playing the game itself.

InsigTurtle

What exactly are ya gonna write about? Leitmotifs, harmonic analysis, melodic analysis, etc.?

mikey

Perhaps your thesis could emphasize how resonant music is for like setting the mood or environment
unmotivated

Altissimo

Quote from: InsigTurtle on April 22, 2017, 05:58:15 PMWhat exactly are ya gonna write about? Leitmotifs, harmonic analysis, melodic analysis, etc.?

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 22, 2017, 05:58:48 PMPerhaps your thesis could emphasize how resonant music is for like setting the mood or environment

my main thought is what noc said, but leitmotifs are going to play a role as well

for instance, here was my "case" for lapis cave: the entire piece shifts between two whole tone scales, emphasizing the kind of uprooting that is taking place at that time: there's no center of stability and even the basis of the whole tone scale shifts over time which would be reflecting the team's mental state at that point - in the span of a day they've been run out of town by former friends and made to run into the wilderness for the sake of survival and the shifting scales might reflect a shifting sense of "we can do it, we'll be fine, we'll find the truth" versus "BUT ALAKAZAM'S AFTER US TOO PANIC!!!" and no matter which mindset is present its still chaotic af

InsigTurtle

hmm, just ta give you more ideas, i guess you could also mention the melodic contour and such? like how in this one, the melody comes in punctuated bursts and has a rather jagged contour, further demonstrating the team's stress and unease? just seein' if presenting more detail like that will help get it accepted

Altissimo

I plan to, that was just a rough overview of the kinds of things I'd talk about haha

Latios212

I'd be thrilled to read a thesis on PMD music theory. But, even speaking thematically, don't you have a TON of material to work with? Even just one OST is ginormous and there's loads you can say about pretty much every track.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Altissimo

idk how much space I'll have but for PMD i'd likely focus on dungeon themes, for PMD2 probably overworld/situational themes

Nebbles

Quote from: Bespinben on April 22, 2017, 05:33:13 PM>Notices people posting in dead thread; feels happy
>Notices it's the North American 9th anniversary of PMD2 Time/Darkness (as of April 20)
>Notices that no one else noticed and feels miffed
>Decides to make a poem

That's how you Bespinben.

nerd

jk, happy 9 years, explorers!
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Latios212

Quote from: Bespinben on April 22, 2017, 05:33:13 PM>Notices people posting in dead thread; feels happy
>Notices it's the North American 9th anniversary of PMD2 Time/Darkness (as of April 20)
>Notices that no one else noticed and feels miffed
>Decides to make a poem

That's how you Bespinben.
ah geez it's been a while since I cried my eyes out over a video game for the first time xD I'd love to just play it over again, not realizing anything that's about to happen...

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mikey

Ha you cried at the end I get to make fun of you
unmotivated

Latios212

Er, it should really go the other way around you heartless soul

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Nebbles

sssh just ignore noc

I gotta finish my PMD replays... I probably will this summer.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

InsigTurtle

me too, i think i left all my replays in precarious plot points, so... i really need to get back to them

maybe i'll just restart my PSMD run, i want to do a run without my cyndaquil+snivy pair, buuuut... i've grown so attached to them, i don't know what other pokemon i'd pick

mikey

I'd recommend mudkip for easymode mudslap spam
unmotivated