News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[NDS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations - "Prologue" by Jordan Knapp

Started by Zeta, June 11, 2015, 12:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Prologue
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Jordan Knapp

[attachment deleted by admin]

FireArrow

Eh, you really shouldn't be showing key signature changes in a fugue. Also, don't simplify it down to two voices. Sure, I'll be hard to play, but so are most fugues, and you really aren't doing the song justice otherwise.

Take Liszt's arrangement of one of Bach's organ fugues. He goes to some pretty technical extremes (the roll at 1:13 for example) to make sure he doesn't leave out any voices.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

SlowPokemon

Unfortunately, I am not a Baroque composer and as such I'm interested in playing this piece, not writing out all of the voices. If I wanted to make an arrangement including all of the voices, I would have made an ensemble arrangement. I'm not making this piece unplayable; my arrangement is difficult enough for some pianists as it is. If I have to do that according to a mod, I'd prefer to not submit this arrangement and submit a different one instead.

Also this isn't really relevant but it's a piece, not a song. Guess I'll keep saying that until someone gets it right...
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

FireArrow

I shall conform to the uneducated society as I please. Under the situation that the mods would rather have a full version of the piece (seductive wink), why would you be so opposed to doing so? Is there something wrong with having difficult sheet music with your name on it? I mean, ninsheetmusic isn't really known for its beginner friendly sheets anyways *cough* bespinben *cough*

SlowPokemon

Tbh (and I apologize if I come across as rude--I really think it's just a difference in opinion) I don't want sheet music like that with my name on it. I remember coming to this website when I was fourteen and finding a LOT of arrangements of video game music that were ridiculously difficult, and just getting really frustrated because I thought my ability as a pianist was lacking. In truth, this website has a lot of arrangements (including those that are currently being accepted) that are even now are far too difficult for me to play without spending a lot of time on them, whether because of some strange musicianship or an insistence on including what I consider to be too much of the original music. And I don't mean to come across as arrogant, but I say that as a fairly advanced pianist, or at least one who has a good working knowledge of music, performs a LOT of classical music, and sight reads most pieces with relative ease.

I'd like to be known for creating piano arrangements that are both accurate to the original music and playable within reason. If I arrange something, print it out, and find that I don't want to spend the time it takes to learn it, it's back to the drawing board to make it more accessible. I want to create sheets that I myself would have fun with and have a desire to play. Most of the pianists we get here are going to be nonprofessional musicians, and I'd like my arrangements to be less demanding so that these people can play the music they recognize and love. I find that it's easier to embellish and add to a simple arrangement than simplify an overly difficult one, and I don't want to scare anyone away from my arrangements by making them too involved. I apologize if that comes across as me being lazy, or stubborn--I promise I'm not trying to be either of those things. I just think that there's a place for these sorts of musical demands, and it's not this website. I've been of the opinion for a long time that we need to make a bigger effort to create arrangements that, while not necessarily easier, don't compromise playability for the sake of a technically perfect arrangement.

Don't get me wrong, though--there's a difference between perfection and professionalism. I'd say the majority of criticism from the mods on this site is absolutely great and necessary, and NSM certainly has come a long way since five years ago when I first joined. All of our sheets look incredibly professional, and we've beefed up our library with high quality sheets that are very impressive. I just think sometimes we lean too far on the "perfectly musical" side and forget that the objective is to make a sheet that people will want to play.

I didn't mean to go on a rant there, oops. I really appreciate your feedback, honest. I just run into this sort of thing a lot while submitting sheets and, in the case of my most recent submission (the arrangement of Furio Tigre's theme), accepting the required changes resulted in a sheet that I wasn't comfortable with; it's not my arrangement anymore, but not accepting that means it won't be on the site at all. It's just a weird dilemma.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Tobbeh99

Here's for comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC2qZVIEheI&;

Personally I think it would be nice with all the voices, but I appreciate your idea to think about the playability. The best would be if you have a version with all voices so we can compare and compromise for the best possible, if it seems too hard or if it's possible to have all voices.   
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

FireArrow

Quote from: SlowPokemon on June 12, 2015, 06:17:39 PM~snip~

You couldn't of made your point better. Thanks for explaining, as I originally interpreted it as a sort of ultimatum. Yeah, I know what you mean, and quite frankly, you're right (we really need to be able to submit simplified versions along with a full version.) To play devils advocate, though I'm sure you already know this argument, when the advanced pianist does come around, it's much easier for the beginning pianist to simply omit the stuff he can't play rather than have the advanced pianist needing to rearrange it himself if he wants to play the full version.

Up to you and the mods though, I'll stop chiming in here. :33

Bespinben

I'm of the opinion that intentional omission from the arranger should be respected. It's another story if we have a newbie arranger submitting a sheet that has missing/incorrectly transcribed parts (in which I would require it to be rearranged), but Slow has proved time and again that he knows his stuff.

At this level, I'm far more concerned with communication and presentation. For example, measures 22-41 are very cramped which might impede readability, and the pedal markings in m. 46-49 are messily misaligned. Improving the aesthetics is what I would like to focus on with submissions of this sort.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on June 12, 2015, 06:17:39 PMin the case of my most recent submission (the arrangement of Furio Tigre's theme), accepting the required changes resulted in a sheet that I wasn't comfortable with; it's not my arrangement anymore, but not accepting that means it won't be on the site at all. It's just a weird dilemma.
I would like to understand what you mean by this, truly. I did make a very extensive critique, but of all 12 points I made, only 3 were required. I left the other 9 to your discretion. That's plenty room for free expression to still feel like it's your arrangement.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Olimar12345

Skimming the thread, I don't think anyone has mentioned the "Pno." thing yet. That has to go lol.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Maelstrom

Bespinben

I decided to give this sheet a good reformatting without changing the way Slow arranged it.

[MIDI] [MUS] [PDF] [MUSX]

I PM'd Slow and he approves of this version. If there are no other objections (besides the already closed discussion on the addition of the other fugal voices), I'm ready to give this submission the green light.

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Zeta