[NDS] Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - "Game Corner" (Replacement) by mariolegofan & Latios212

Started by Zeta, May 15, 2015, 11:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Game Corner
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arrangers: mariolegofan & Latios212

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

Such an awesome track. We figured it needs an awesome sheet! :)

A few discussion points:
- playability issues with 16th note chords in measures 5-8
- playability issues with high D# in measure 22
- playability issues with rapid descent of notes (and overlap of LH and RH) in measure 26
- inclusion of other voices/layers, most notably measures 9-12 and 34
- that bass clef in measure 22 that I can't move
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Tobbeh99

-measure 5-8, I'd yes totally playable. Quite difficult at that speed, but playable, and it's only 4 measures.

-Measure 22 make the LH play the low melody for the first 3 quarter-notes, and the RH the chords, and switch at the last quarter-note so the RH takes the high D#, and the LH, and measure 23, LH chords RH melody. Write both the low melody and the chords in measure 22 in the left hand, using different layers.

-Measure 26 You'll need to fix this one because I'd say that's unplayable, or would not sound nice at least. maybe voice the chords differently or octavate them or something.

Other things: You could improve the spacing/layout of things like slurs, accidentals and clefs. I'm specifically thinking about measures: 9-12, 22.

Sometimes the chords are colliding with the melody, playing the same note(s) for example measure 23, (maybe the only one). You might want to see if there's a way of solving that.

Maybe move down one stave and make 4 staves on the last page instead of 6 on the second. 

Measure 5-8, I think the staccato on the 16th note is unnecessary since it goes so fast anyways. Maybe slur those groups of 16th-16th-8th, from the first 16th to the 8th.

I think you should rewrite measure 22 as I said above, but if you encounter the same problem again, here's how to fix it: Delete everything in those measures and rewrite it.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Sebastian

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on May 15, 2015, 12:31:42 PM-measure 5-8, I'd yes totally playable. Quite difficult at that speed, but playable, and it's only 4 measures.
Yes.....but is it enjoyable?

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on May 15, 2015, 12:31:42 PM-Measure 22 make the LH play the low melody for the first 3 quarter-notes, and the RH the chords, and switch at the last quarter-note so the RH takes the high D#, and the LH, and measure 23, LH chords RH melody. Write both the low melody and the chords in measure 22 in the left hand, using different layers.
It's fine the way it is. I like it this way because it's consistent and the right hand only has to jump once throughout the whole section which I don't mind doing as the player.

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on May 15, 2015, 12:31:42 PM-Measure 26 You'll need to fix this one because I'd say that's unplayable, or would not sound nice at least. maybe voice the chords differently or octavate them or something.
We'll see.

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on May 15, 2015, 12:31:42 PMOther things: You could improve the spacing/layout of things like slurs, accidentals and clefs. I'm specifically thinking about measures: 9-12, 22.
You're right. Since I don't have the full version of 2012, I'll have Latios get that.

FireArrow

On the intro:
-Include the pitched percussion in measures 2 ans 3, there's really no reason not to.
-There are no 7 chords - Second half of measure 6 should just be e minor (rather than e minor 7), second half of measure 7 should just be D major (rather than d dominant 7), and the second half of measure 8 should just be e major (rather than e dominant 7.) You're thinking too deeply, the chord progression is really simple. Also the articulation isn't really necessary - no ones gonna bother performing staccatos at the speed and the emphasis is already implied by the pulse.
-Make the same chord changes to the left hand of measures 9-12. (Keep the articulation here though.)
-I'm not sure where you got the right hand for 9-12, but it's really hard to tell whats going on so I suppose it's fine (until someones else with a better ear can come along.)
-Also you have a redundant mf :3
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

InsigTurtle

About the intro: I'm guessing you guys moved that top note down an octave from measures 9-12 to make it easier to play? I'm hearing those 16th notes as something like this:

(pay no attention to the super-rushed cropping)

Latios212

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on May 15, 2015, 12:31:42 PM-Measure 22 make the LH play the low melody for the first 3 quarter-notes, and the RH the chords, and switch at the last quarter-note so the RH takes the high D#, and the LH, and measure 23, LH chords RH melody. Write both the low melody and the chords in measure 22 in the left hand, using different layers.

-Measure 26 You'll need to fix this one because I'd say that's unplayable, or would not sound nice at least. maybe voice the chords differently or octavate them or something.

Sometimes the chords are colliding with the melody, playing the same note(s) for example measure 23, (maybe the only one). You might want to see if there's a way of solving that.

For measure 22 I think a little hand-crossing is okay and preferable in this case to keep the LH consistent as MLF said. Even if the parts were switched it's still a big jump to the high D#, so we can just omit that note if necessary.

For measure 23 there's not really too many collisions so I'd rather not move the LH from where it is, and I think it works to just emphasize the notes in the melody with the RH. If anyone has a better solution, tell me!

For measure 26 you're right, it's unplayable; the best thing I can think of right now is to omit the LH chords so we can continue the descent (also LH can help with that) but I'm open to anyone else's ideas about how to fix this one.

I've redone measures 5-12 as all of you said; let me know if I understood you right.

Spoiler
[close]

Quote from: FireArrow on May 15, 2015, 05:08:53 PM-Include the pitched percussion in measures 2 ans 3, there's really no reason not to.
I'm bad at hearing what notes they are, so can someone help me out with that?

Also you're all totally right about the formatting; however, I'll wait until we get all the notes right before I start perfecting the aesthetics.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

FireArrow

Latios212

Thanks!

MUS file updated with:
- your RH in measures 3-4 (42-43 as well)
- measure 5-12 as in the picture
- measure 26 with the chords omitted for now

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Tobbeh99

You could include some finger notations at certain parts. Would be nice since it is somewhat technical at certain
 parts.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Sebastian

FireArrow

Overall (optional): Make the left hand less obnoxiously loud, it really takes away from the playback.
Measure 9-12: Your accents are clashing with your slurs.
Measure 11-12: The crescendo needs to be in between the two staves, make the distance between them larger if it doesn't fit.
Measure 13-14: The slur and tie are clashing. Remember, music prints black and white.
Measure 15-16: Change the parallel thirds to parallel sixths.
Measure 18 (optional): You're missing a playable voice.
Measure 21-28: Double check the rhythm in the base clef.
Measure 22: What's that bass clef doing there?
Measure 44: Redundant mezzo forte.
Repeats (not sure about this one): Put the backwards repeat sign in measure 13 then rewrite measures 9-12 out at the end of the piece.

Sebastian

Latios212

I can't update the files. It needs me to re-enter the sheet and collaborator names for some reason (the forums have been a bit wacky as of lately; there's no text formatting buttons to be seen here) and I can't save the submission without those fields being filled in, when they already should be.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle