News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[Wii] Super Paper Mario - "Castle Bleck" by JesterMusician

Started by Zeta, April 15, 2015, 05:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Paper Mario
Console: Nintendo Wii
Title: Castle Bleck
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: JesterMusician

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yug_Guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAn5_G_eD8w

While I don't have any criticisms, I am both shocked and amazed that you managed to transcribe this. Good on you sir!

Bespinben

I haven't been this amazed in a long time. I think I'm about to cry. Wow. This is everything I aspire for in arranging.

I almost feel bad to ask more of this, but there were just some very tiny items I think could make things more clear:
*M. 2 ~ The triplet run is beats 3-4 is playable with agile fingering, but once you have the octaves come in, then it's impossible at this speed. Either omit the bottom notes, or use the LH for them.
*M. 8 ~ The triplet in the RH of beat 3 is beamed together with 2 straight 16th notes. To make clear the distinction, use the bracket style triplet (right click the "3", and then select Shape Type --> Bracket.
*M. 13 ~ Is there any particular reason the melody note stem points upwards into the run of the other layer?
*M. 30-33 ~ It would be easier to execute this passage if the octaves are split between the two hands. Not everyone will want to do it this way, so to accommodate both options, AFTER the RH is done holding the chord in m. 30, write the octave notes in separate layers and write LH/RH accordingly.
*M. 38 ~ I see WHY you chose to change the key signature (The Bb dominant 7th giving off the vibe of Eb minor), but I'm just not a fan changing the key signature for temporary modulations. I'd much rather have the accidentals speak for themselves what key that are borrowing themselves from.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

JesterMusician

Thanks a lot Bespinben!

Believe it or not, I'm very new to arranging, especially for piano - the arrangements in my personal thread are the only ones I've done, ever. I like studying music theory in my spare time and I've always liked video game music. I started arranging video game songs for music box (see my YouTube channel), so sometimes I would grab a sheet from here and work with that. If there wasn't one, I could usually get the right notes with careful listening and my perfect pitch.

I realized you didn't have a sheet for Shy Guy's Toy Box, so I decided maybe I could arrange it myself. I finished it, and I was quite happy with it, and I had fun making it. So I thought, maybe I should try fulfilling a request. How hard could it be? So I saw the SSBM song and got to work. Same with Castle Bleck and the rest of them. What surprised me is that all of my sheets were very well-received. I suppose I have a sort of talent for identifying notes in a song and translating that to paper - I can usually get a pretty good draft done in a day. I'm working on a song from Sonic now - we'll see how that goes!

I've been waiting for feedback on this one for a while - I'm not a very good pianist, so much of what I arrange is just what I think is possible. I am a stickler for good notation, always trying to make my sheets look extremely well-typeset.

Okay, to address your feedback:
  • Okay, bottom notes removed.
  • I just realized that - I thought everywhere that I was beaming a 16th triplet was with an 8th note (which is okay). Fixed.
  • Yes, Behind Bars says overlapping parts should overlap noteheads instead of be back-to-back, as this is more compact (and more vertically-aligned, better suggesting they are played simultaneously). This is the default collision avoidance in MuseScore.
  • Yeah I thought about that, and your confirmation seals the deal. Done.
  • The preceding measures are definitely G minor, but the tonal center most definitely changes to Eb right about here...then again, removing the key signature doesn't produce that many accidentals, and now the whole song is in Gm. Okay, removed it is.

I've updated the PDF - I'll make an improved Finale file once I've dealt with all the feedback.

Bespinben

Quote from: JesterMusician on April 15, 2015, 10:20:42 PMI'm not a very good pianist, so much of what I arrange is just what I think is possible. I am a stickler for good notation, always trying to make my sheets look extremely well-typeset.
Are you my doppelgänger?
(My experience in piano is self-education for the past 5 years, if that says anything)

ONE LAST THING
The site URL in the copyright info should read exactly as: http://www.ninsheetmusic.org/
Capital letters and all.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bespinben.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot