[GB] Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow - "Surf Theme" (Replacement) by Zunawe

Started by Zeta, April 11, 2015, 01:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bespinben

Darn export bugs! Yeah, I know the trouble. Finale 2014 has the nice automatic combining of rests in separate layers, but when you export it to 2012, they get all separated and messy again.

Btw, I changed the replacement to the "challenge" type.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Olimar12345

Woah, woah, hang on here.

-Preserving the hypermeter is fine, so long as it doesn't disrupt the formatting. No arrangement on our site looks like that, and if there is a stray one floating around it needs to be changed. It would seem our priorities are flip-flopped.

-why did the bass voice drop the octave in measure two? That's not how the original goes.

-url still isn't right. We're doing the capital letters for NinSheetMusic.

GAAAH I wish I could stick around here and do more, but this week is hell for me.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Zunawe

http://ninsheetmusic.org/
Is this one correct, then?

The other stuff is a discrepancy between updaters.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Zunawe

You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Bespinben

Quote from: Olimar12345 on April 13, 2015, 03:49:36 AMGAAAH I wish I could stick around here and do more, but this week is hell for me.
I promise I'll try not to set the house on fire while you're away. Seems like I got awfully close though here XD

Quote from: Olimar12345 on April 13, 2015, 03:49:36 AM-Preserving the hypermeter is fine, so long as it doesn't disrupt the formatting. No arrangement on our site looks like that, and if there is a stray one floating around it needs to be changed. It would seem our priorities are flip-flopped.
Currently, there IS one, as of the last update. You yourself had high praise for it -- my SMB3 Athletic replacement. Granted, the explanatory text box was at the END of the sheet, but why can't it be at the start? Same principle. (In fact, usually such notes would be at the start instead of the end, but it was more convenient for that particular sheet to be at the end)

Quote from: Olimar12345 on April 13, 2015, 03:49:36 AMif there is a stray one floating around it needs to be changed. It would seem our priorities are flip-flopped.
My philosophy is that different isn't bad, as long as it's handled with tact. So my only question is, "Does this have tact, or is it tacky?" If the latter, I'm willing to reconsider my position.
Also, just for the record, I in no way mandated this particular submission to look like this. All my posts up to here were very clear that this was NOT official NSM standard, but Zunawe expressed interest so I obliged.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on April 13, 2015, 03:49:36 AM-why did the bass voice drop the octave in measure two? That's not how the original goes.
Originally, I advocated the bass in m. 1-2 to be like this (a faithful position): http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=6965.msg287356#msg287356
However, Zunawe moved the bass in m. 1 beat 2 up an octave from where I recommended, so then I thought: "Well, we've already taken liberties with the octaves, why not do it for m. 2 beat 2?"

This resulted in:
Quote from: Bespinben on April 12, 2015, 09:59:45 PMI noticed you played around with the octaves of the bass line in m. 1-2. Look what I did on beat 2 of measure 2 in my picture above. If you voice it like this, you get that nice "sol la ti do" whammy. Very good bass cadence.
--------------------------------------------------------

Just a last thought, this particular statement struck a chord:
Quote from: Olimar12345 on April 13, 2015, 03:49:36 AMWoah, woah, hang on here.
This one too:
Quote from: Zunawe on April 11, 2015, 01:38:55 PMOlimar took a look at this a long time ago because the arrangement project died, and nothing really happened with it.
I know I shouldn't make inferences from such an innocuous statement, but I feel it has subtle implications about NSM in general. One of the reasons I spearheaded this sheet with such unmitigated attention was because I wanted to counteract the culture of "Make a post; respond a week later". I think that makes a lot of arrangers frustrated. More music; less bureaucracy. I know we're all busy, I get that. But please, when I'm trying to fill in for you when you're gone (or you fill in for me when I'm gone), the last thing we should say to each other is "slow down partner".

Olimar12345

Quote from: Bespinben on April 13, 2015, 12:06:08 PMCurrently, there IS one, as of the last update. You yourself had high praise for it -- my SMB3 Athletic replacement. Granted, the explanatory text box was at the END of the sheet, but why can't it be at the start? Same principle. (In fact, usually such notes would be at the start instead of the end, but it was more convenient for that particular sheet to be at the end)

Filling empty space at the end of a sheet is fine, especially if it is with notes to the performer. However this is a different case, you're essentially creating extra space. Not to mention that note is unnecessary, and the half-page indent is hardly visually pleasing.

Also, performance notes are usually found on the cover page, their own separate page, or at the end of a piece, and not usually in this sort of fashion anyway.

Quote from: Bespinben on April 13, 2015, 12:06:08 PMMy philosophy is that different isn't bad, as long as it's handled with tact. So my only question is, "Does this have tact, or is it tacky?" If the latter, I'm willing to reconsider my position.
Also, just for the record, I in no way mandated this particular submission to look like this. All my posts up to here were very clear that this was NOT official NSM standard, but Zunawe expressed interest so I obliged.

The formatting is used create unity; a way to make all arrangements look uniform. Different isn't bad within the music itself, but the sheet formatting should make it look like all arrangements come from the same source (which they do).

Bespinben

Quote from: Olimar12345 on April 13, 2015, 12:15:51 PMHowever this is a different case, you're essentially creating extra space. Not to mention that note is unnecessary, and the half-page indent is hardly visually pleasing.
Also, performance notes are usually found on the cover page, their own separate page, or at the end of a piece, and not usually in this sort of fashion anyway.
This makes sense! Thank you. Maybe we need to make a cover page template, lol (now that's ambitious!)

That said, using normal indentation, how should we distribute the measures? This is really my only qualm. I mean, 3-5-4-4-4 is an option, but it makes the second system seem oddly cramped compared to the rest of the systems.

Olimar12345

Five systems, containing 4, 4, 4, 3, and 3 measures each. That's how I'd do it.

Bespinben

Quote from: Olimar12345 on April 13, 2015, 12:26:22 PMFive systems, containing 4, 4, 4, 3, and 3 measures each. That's how I'd do it.
^^do this Zunawe

Also, about the bass in m. 1-2, do you approve of it is currently, or rather this way (http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=6965.msg287356#msg287356) ?

Zunawe

Fixed indent and removed text box. Regrouped measures. And I took those notes up an octave again. I hear the progression you wanted, but the effect kinda disappears the next eighth note.

I program things

The Deku Trombonist

The layout of that SMB3 sheet is basically due the need for space for that note to explain the extra notes. If it wasn't for that, finale's natural measure spacing (for once...) produces much better spacing. Although I still think there's a little bit of unnecessary shrinking...

In this sheet, the text was being used to compensate for a lopsided layout. The primary consideration of layout should be...layout lol. Damn timezones, I always miss out on the interesting things.

Back to this sheet: unless you have a really convincing musical reason for leaving it as is (I don't have the means to listen to it) the first 16th note in bars 5 & 9 would be better written as an 8th (And then change the following rest to a 16th). It really improves the readability of that rhythm.

Zunawe

I program things

Bespinben

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on April 13, 2015, 09:24:12 PMfirst 16th note in bars 5 & 9 would be better written as an 8th (And then change the following rest to a 16th). It really improves the readability of that rhythm.
Quote from: Zunawe on April 13, 2015, 09:35:11 PMUpdated.
You forgot the pickles You did it for the RH but still need to do it for the LH

Zunawe

I program things