Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Magicant
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Gentlemancreeper

[attachment deleted by admin]

Maelstrom

Pretty good.
Review this.
It's clear you have something above notepad, so fix the opening two measure system and the one measure system at the end.
And add a double bar line before the 2nd key change.

Bespinben

Good song choice. For my own sanity I'm not going to give a comprehensive review today, but here are some things you can work on until then:

*Re-read the formatting guidelines (http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=481.0), specifically regarding the header info.
*Measure numbers please.
*Aim for 4 measures per system if you can.
*The OST has all the notes an octave higher than you have written.
*A courtesy natural for the bass F at m. 31 would be nice, since it's superimposed against the F# in the RH. There is no diatonic or tertian relationship between the two tones, hence why it is not F and Gb.
*Sustain pedal would do wonders for this song
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Bespinben

Woah you updated it already! I like you a lot more now all the sudden.
Just curious, what program do you write your arrangements in originally? Looking at the PDF I'm guessing Musescore...

I don't know why I've never bothered to ask this before, but now I'm wondering how vital an MUS file is to submissions? Like, what if a sheet is formatted correctly and arranged well in a PDF, but the MUS is lousy? I'll ask the other updaters on this one.

That doesn't mean I think this is finished just quite yet though, but it's much closer already.

*Have you ever tried writing out pedal usage before? There's a couple different methods. The easiest way is just to write "con pedale" or "ped. ad lib." under the first measure and leave it up to the performer (who may or may not have good pedaling sense). Another way would be to write a quick "sample" on the first 2-4 measures via "Leo----* " or " |----^----^--- " and then write "simile" to indicate to follow that pattern. I'd recommend that for this song since a natural pedal pattern would be to depress and lift every 2 measures throughout the whole song.

Bespinben

Man, you are very prompt about responding to my suggestions! If only there was a way I could be notified when you edit... I guess it helps that I spend way too much time on this board  ::)

So I got some word back from the Mod forum, and it sounds like the policy is that all files need to have been "birthed" from the "parent" MUS file. So, in other words, you can't have a PDF made in Musescore. It would have to be generated from Finale.

That said, I think it's would be a bit of burden to you to have to re-do all this for the sake of one single file, so I'll make you a deal. I'll re-write your arrangement into Finale by hand from scratch looking at your PDF, and in turn you'll need to start arranging natively in Finale. It's a lot to ask, but having had to convert from Sibelius to Finale myself (after having already written 20 very lengthy pieces in the former program), I feel I can at least sympathize. Best of luck!

AwesomeYears

Bespinben

Quote from: AwesomeYears on March 30, 2015, 10:10:37 PMI didn't know creepers were that quiet :A
+1^

Alrighty, I finished writing the Finale file!
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

One advantage of me doing this was I actually got to notice a few things you missed in your sheet. For example, there was no "add 9" tone in the LH arpeggiation in m. 25-26. Also, I want to know your intentions on the "echo voice" at m. 29-36. I noticed you tried to "merge" them together in a single layer, but I think this muddles things up if anything. I'd say go for "double or nothing" - keep a single voice, or pull mental gymnastics and do both. I'd recommend the former, as doing both is extremely disorienting, as the picture below will show. Currently, the file above just uses the "one voice" approach.

DonValentino

"Con affettuoso" doesn't make any sense though, either you put "Affettuoso" or "Con affetto". In English what you have would be "With affectionate" :p

Bespinben

BLERUGHBLERUGH! I should have known that. Ever since Xaoz revealed to me yesterday that A4 is actually higher than C4, I felt like:

...fixed but now is it? It is. Yes.

DonValentino

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bespinben.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot