Hexameron - An Invitation, an Adventure

Started by MaestroUGC, March 01, 2015, 08:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

MaestroUGC

I'll PM him and he doesn't get back to me we'll proceed without him. And I thought you dropped out MLF?
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Sebastian

MaestroUGC

Just as well, then, I haven't heard back from JDMEK5, so you'll take his place then.

Now down to business. So After giving it a bit of thought I figured I can whip up a quick transcription of Gust Garden for us to use as the foundation of the arrangements, should only take me a few days to do. While, yes, we could ask Olimar if we could use his version on the site in this, but his transcription is a bit too opulent to use as the basis for what we're doing here. Generally you want to original transcription used for variations (which is usually presented first, before the variations) to be rather bare and only featuring the essential components of the piece. This isn't a hard and fast rule but I'd rather not start the piece at a high level, start simple then expand and elaborate.

Latios212

So we could use your version as a guideline?

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

MaestroUGC

Yeah, I should have it ready by Friday. Sunday at the latest.

MaestroUGC

An idea:

As I'm sure some of you have already had some ideas going, what if we don't include a base transcription? This isn't unheard of for theme and variation pieces, Elgar did something similar with his Enigma Variations, and with something so popular and well known as Gusty Garden, we really wouldn't need to have the expository theme in the work itself. Sure, I might include it for the sake of reference once it's all said and done, but I think for now we can just proceed with making our variations.

Sound good?

Latios212

I'd love to start haha.

Is it okay to use Olimar's sheet as a reference? Like what chords and accidentals to use and stuff. I'd be lost otherwise.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

MaestroUGC

Sure, there's nothing wrong with his sheet, it's just a bit too flashy for my tastes.

JDMEK5

Quote from: MaestroUGC on March 24, 2015, 07:51:25 AMJust as well, then, I haven't heard back from JDMEK5, so you'll take his place then.
Damn it, does this mean I'm out?
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

MaestroUGC

Nah, this is a pretty fluid thing, I just wanted your input on the song choice.

mikey

Perhaps we should all reference the same YouTube video just in case, how about the one with the starry Mario silhouette and gold background
unmotivated

MaestroUGC

I actually suggest referencing Olimar's transcription for now so you can at least get started. Remember, this is for solo piano, so no fancy orchestration things.

JDMEK5

What are our criteria on keys/modulation and playability?
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26