News:

Found an issue in the Requests Board? Let Bubbles know!

Main Menu

Is finale worth it?

Started by Pianist Da Sootopolis, February 26, 2015, 01:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boost the Cat

Ok, third question.

These other Finale Products (Songwriter, PrintMusic); Are they included in Finale 2014?
Expecting a signature?
Too bad. Waluigi Time.

Maelstrom

Finale 2015 does not/will not exist. It is a bi-annual publishing.
You get a single license for use on a single computer.
You need to pay $150.00+ (I think) to update. Definitely not free.
All the other finale products are basically scaled down versions of finale (think Notepad, but not nearly as bad)

Sebastian

Quote from: Boost the Cat on April 19, 2015, 06:28:24 PMTwo questions:

Would I be better off waiting for a 2015 version of Finale/Does it update for free?

Can you download Finale on multiple computers (without paying for it again?)
1. Honestly, I don't know.....

2. Yes, I think you can download on to multiple computers. I have it on 2 computers and my dad has it on his arranging computer. My brother.....has it on his and uses it all the time :p
Btw, he (my brother)is a music theory nerd and loves arranging.

Maelstrom

Quote from: mariolegofan on April 19, 2015, 06:39:05 PM2. Yes, I think you can download on to multiple computers. I have it on 2 computers and my dad has it on his arranging computer. My brother.....has it on his and uses it all the time :p
Wait, what? I can only have 2011 installed on one computer at a time. You can only activate the initialization and prevent it from locking up after 30 days if you deactivate the previous install first. Trust me, I know from buying Finale from a neighbor.

Bespinben

Quote from: mariolegofan on April 19, 2015, 06:39:05 PMBtw, he (my brother)is a music theory nerd and loves arranging.
:O :O :O bring him here you must!

(His blood TALENT is greatly desired)
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Boost the Cat

Ok, so I CAN get it on multiple computers, and it will cost $150 to upgrade next year. Correct? (Trying to get this straight.)
Expecting a signature?
Too bad. Waluigi Time.

mikey

bespinben loves fresh blood
-AweYea 2014
unmotivated

Maelstrom

Quote from: Boost the Cat on April 19, 2015, 06:49:21 PMOk, so I CAN get it on multiple computers, and it will cost $150 to upgrade next year. Correct? (Trying to get this straight.)
1. Cannot confirm or deny.
2. Yes. However, you never really need a newer version. I'm just fine with 2011. It's got everything I need and it works flawlessly.

Boost the Cat

Ok, thanks guys. I think I'm about ready to try to convince my mom to fork out 350 bucks for this (she's a music lover, so hopefully it will be pretty easy.  ;D )
Expecting a signature?
Too bad. Waluigi Time.

Boost the Cat

She says "saving up for, or Christmas."

:-\
Expecting a signature?
Too bad. Waluigi Time.

AwesomeYears

Meh, at least you've got Notepad/MuseScore

Sebastian

Quote from: Bespinben on April 19, 2015, 06:42:23 PM:O :O :O bring him here you must!

(His blood TALENT is greatly desired)

I'd love to but theres as few reasons why he hasn't.
1. He uses the same IP address as me and everyone would think its me using another account.
2. I told him about this site and he says, " I don't wanna take all your glory." Since we play the same games he would be doing the same material as I would.
3. Hate to say it.....but he's kind of a big mouth :p
He is like my polar opposite and very outgoing. He's also very wise. He reminds me of Fierce.....having much wisdom.
I always love having him help me with music theory but he is often busy.
I'll see if I can get him to join. He made an account a while back.....but never used it.

JesterMusician

I tried out Finale, and quite frankly I hate it for writing sheet music, and very much prefer the free program MuseScore. Here's a list of some of the issues I've had with it:
  • You need a different tool for EVERYTHING: to flip a note, you need the Simple Entry tool; to flip a slur, you need the SmartShape tool; to flip a tie, need the Tie Tool in the Special Tools panel; flip an articulation, you...can't, actually, as far as I know. MuseScore (and Sibelius, I think) you just select the note/slur/tie/articulation and press X.
  • Scrolling during playback causes the sheet to tear as the cursor passes.
  • You can't do cross-layer ties. You have to put the ties in separate layers and hide the rests.
  • Overlapping layers must be offset manually (seriously, if MuseScore can get this right, there's no excuse that Finale can't)
The program is decades old and while everyone praises its playback, the user experience is pretty terrible. I'd much rather do my arrangements in MuseScore and deal with Finale only if I want to submit something.

Maelstrom

At least Finale's rests don't look diseased.

JesterMusician

Well I've just been using the Bravura font for all my music. There are two other fonts should they suit your fancy:

Bravura (the one I use)
[close]
Emmentaler (default):
[close]
Gonville:
[close]