Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Mario RPG
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Forest Maze
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: mariolegofan

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sebastian

King Sammer

Oh ho! What a performance! And what exotic garb you drape yourself in, challenger!

AwesomeYears

I'm only going To say a couple of things right now

1.) there should be a tiny trill in the second note of bar 4 on the right hand
2.) bars 9-16 should be an octave higher on the right hand
3.) Im not too sure about this one, but maybe in bars 17-24, the high part could be on the right hand while the existing two parts (LH and RH) be on the left hand putting the existing left hand part one octave higher.

Please don't judge me too hard, I'm only a beginner at assessing :P

InsigTurtle

Just a couple of things I noticed: (yay procrastination at 3 am!)
m.41: You should add an F# to the right hand, since you wrote out the lower voice for the previous measures.
m.24 (or is it 25?): Needs double bar line. (Also, your key signature change thing is a bit weird. I'm not sure why Finale does that, but the key signatures of both sections should be minor to prevent that from happening.)
m.16: It sounds like the last two notes of the bass should be an octave higher.

Sebastian

Thanks Guys!
I shoulda caught that stuff on my own, but I didn't look at it before I submitted it. I was in a hurry.
Anyway, I'll get on that stuff!

Sebastian

Quote from: AwesomeYears on February 24, 2015, 02:52:52 AM1.) there should be a tiny trill in the second note of bar 4 on the right hand
Not hearing this.....

Quote from: AwesomeYears on February 24, 2015, 02:52:52 AM2.) bars 9-16 should be an octave higher on the right hand
Well, the harmony is the only an octave higher. The melody is in the correct register. Just thought I'd bring the harmony down instead of putting the melody up.

Quote from: AwesomeYears on February 24, 2015, 02:52:52 AM3.) Im not too sure about this one, but maybe in bars 17-24, the high part could be on the right hand while the existing two parts (LH and RH) be on the left hand putting the existing left hand part one octave higher.
I actually tried this when I first did the sheet. If I move the left hand up an octave, there'd be to much overlap. It'd simply sound to ugly.

Quote from: InsigTurtle on February 24, 2015, 03:22:03 AMm.41: You should add an F# to the right hand, since you wrote out the lower voice for the previous measures.
Holy crap, How'd I miss that? Fixed.

Quote from: InsigTurtle on February 24, 2015, 03:22:03 AMm.24 (or is it 25?): Needs double bar line. (Also, your key signature change thing is a bit weird. I'm not sure why Finale does that, but the key signatures of both sections should be minor to prevent that from happening.)
Fixed and Fixed.

Quote from: InsigTurtle on February 24, 2015, 03:22:03 AMm.16: It sounds like the last two notes of the bass should be an octave higher.
Wow.....you're right. How'd I miss that? Fixed.

Anyway, great Insig! You are way to underestimated :)

Bespinben

I don't usually like telling people HOW they should arrange, but I felt this was significant enough to merit some attention:
*Measures 17-24 ~ The distinct flavor of this section is the sudden switch to legato, along with the continuous 8th note arpeggios that would go best in the LH. Could you revisit this passage please?

------
Now for my normal presentation-oriented nitpicking:
*You wrote the tempo at 180 BPM -- the feel alone of the song would tell this is not a Prestissimo! So, what you need to do is re-write the time signature to cut-time (2/2 or Alla Breve), and change the tempo marking to 90 HALF notes per minute. Another method you could do is rewrite the entire sheet using 50% smaller note values while changing the tempo to 90 quarters per minute, but that would be too much to ask, as well as just a matter of preference. Just do the first one.
*On page 2 you managed to get 4 measures per system, like you should! Could you do the same for the first page? This is to reflect the 4 measure hypermeter.
*To maintain consistency and overall contour, would you make the 8vb under the LH extend ALL THE WAY from m. 1 to m. 16? I find it odd that m.1-2 & 9-10 are excluded.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Sebastian

I won't get to my computer till tomorrow so I'll get to it then :)
Just one question:

Quote from: Bespinben on March 02, 2015, 10:36:17 AMI don't usually like telling people HOW they should arrange, but I felt this was significant enough to merit some attention:
*Measures 17-24 ~ The distinct flavor of this section is the sudden switch to legato, along with the continuous 8th note arpeggios that would go best in the LH. Could you revisit this passage please?
Why?

Bespinben

Why I don't like to tell people HOW to arrange, or why I thought you should arrange that passage differently?

If the former, it's because I feel I diminish a person's artistry by doing that. It's their arrangement, and aside from blatant errors, I shouldn't be telling them what it should sound like. I'll help with ensuring that the song was accurately transcribed, but it's up to the arranger to decide how to blend those parts together to form a proper incarnation of the song through the medium of the piano.

If the latter, the reason is in the quote itself - there are some important musical elements that you shouldn't neglect. I felt this fell under the domain of a transcription error rather than just an arranging decision.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Sebastian

Haha....that's ok and totally understand! :)
It was the latter that I had a question about :P

Sebastian

Quote from: Bespinben on March 02, 2015, 10:36:17 AMI don't usually like telling people HOW they should arrange, but I felt this was significant enough to merit some attention:

------
Now for my normal presentation-oriented nitpicking:
*You wrote the tempo at 180 BPM -- the feel alone of the song would tell this is not a Prestissimo! So, what you need to do is re-write the time signature to cut-time (2/2 or Alla Breve), and change the tempo marking to 90 HALF notes per minute. Another method you could do is rewrite the entire sheet using 50% smaller note values while changing the tempo to 90 quarters per minute, but that would be too much to ask, as well as just a matter of preference. Just do the first one.
*On page 2 you managed to get 4 measures per system, like you should! Could you do the same for the first page? This is to reflect the 4 measure hypermeter.
*To maintain consistency and overall contour, would you make the 8vb under the LH extend ALL THE WAY from m. 1 to m. 16? I find it odd that m.1-2 & 9-10 are excluded.
Fixed everything!

DonValentino

Maelstrom

Those titles seem to be simply direct translations. Don't worry, that happens often on VGMDB. Take a look at these two albums. The localized tracks differ quite a bit from the direct translations. Idk if it is quite the same with Mario RPG, but some of those names don't quite line up with what google gave me.

Sebastian

I agree with Maelstrom.

When people come to Ninsheetmusic looking for music. They're gonna look for the location name. Not this name for example. I haven't really heard of this name before but have heard Forest Maza a lot.