News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

[NDS] Pokémon Black/White - "Battle! Elite Four" (Replacement) by JDMEK5

Started by Zeta, February 20, 2015, 10:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Black/White
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Battle! Elite Four
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: JDMEK5

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

JDMEK5

Song Title should be changed to "Battle! (Elite Four)" as written on sheet.

Original:
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Bespinben

I'm glad to finally see a good arrangement for this song.

*For my own education, what does "p -- mf" mean in measure 1? I'm assuming it's the equivalent of "piano on 1st; mezzo-forte on 2nd", but I've never seen that notation before. Could you show me an example?
*M. 7 (and 12) ~ The Bb should be an A#, like you wrote in m. 5. Raised 3rd. I can see why you wrote it this way, because Bb goes straight into A natural in the next measure, but a chord is still a chord. It's gets problematic if you keep it as Bb when you get to m. 20 with the parellel 5ths harmony (which I'll explain next)
*M. 20 (and 24) ~ Very similar too the above, but now you have that Eb harmonizing with the Bb. In the bass you wrote a D# (raised 6th), but in the RH you have the same note, but written as Eb. I think this is kind of an immediate warning sign something is up. So, changing the RH's "Eb" to D#, you would also need to change the Bb to A# (further support for my last bullet point).
*I don't hear a shift in tonal center between m. 23-55, so I think it should stay in the F# minor key. The B#'s in 16th runs in m. 36-38 speak against B minor anyway.
*M. 42 - Ab should be G#
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Xaoz

Quote from: Bespinben on February 23, 2015, 10:54:49 AMI'm glad to finally see a good arrangement for this song.

Nothing to add.

Quote from: Bespinben on February 23, 2015, 10:54:49 AM*For my own education, what does "p -- mf" mean in measure 1? I'm assuming it's the equivalent of "piano on 1st; mezzo-forte on 2nd", but I've never seen that notation before. Could you show me an example?

I find this confusing aswell. I think I have seen that notation somewhere before, where the piece could be played between those two volumes, but I really have no idea. Would like to have an explanation aswell :D

Good job!

Maybe add expression text? :)

Quote from: Bespinben on February 03, 2015, 07:49:27 PM
I give the Bespin seal of approval to Xaoz's critique (^o^)=b

JDMEK5

Quote from: Bespinben on February 23, 2015, 10:54:49 AM*For my own education, what does "p -- mf" mean in measure 1? I'm assuming it's the equivalent of "piano on 1st; mezzo-forte on 2nd", but I've never seen that notation before. Could you show me an example?
I would show an example but I've seen it used before in my "Royal Conservatory" books which are kinda under copyright in a huge way. But that's exactly what it means and I can assure you that it's a thing.

Quote from: Bespinben on February 23, 2015, 10:54:49 AM*M. 7 (and 12) ~ The Bb should be an A#, like you wrote in m. 5. Raised 3rd. I can see why you wrote it this way, because Bb goes straight into A natural in the next measure, but a chord is still a chord. It's gets problematic if you keep it as Bb when you get to m. 20 with the parellel 5ths harmony (which I'll explain next)
Righteo. Done.

Quote from: Bespinben on February 23, 2015, 10:54:49 AM*M. 20 (and 24) ~ Very similar too the above, but now you have that Eb harmonizing with the Bb. In the bass you wrote a D# (raised 6th), but in the RH you have the same note, but written as Eb. I think this is kind of an immediate warning sign something is up. So, changing the RH's "Eb" to D#, you would also need to change the Bb to A# (further support for my last bullet point).
Yes sir.

Quote from: Bespinben on February 23, 2015, 10:54:49 AM*I don't hear a shift in tonal center between m. 23-55, so I think it should stay in the F# minor key. The B#'s in 16th runs in m. 36-38 speak against B minor anyway.
Good point.

Quote from: Bespinben on February 23, 2015, 10:54:49 AM*M. 42 - Ab should be G#
Fixed.

Quote from: Xaoz on February 23, 2015, 03:07:51 PMMaybe add expression text? :)
Eh, no thanks. This piece doesn't have a whole ton of expression in it anyways and I don't know what to put and I don't think it needs it and I don't think I want to put anything there.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

InsigTurtle

Just wondering, why didn't you add the second voice from m.6 to m.13? Also, only in that part, it sounds like the first dotted quarter of every phrase should be replaced with a quarter and a eighth. That really wasn't the best way to explain it... but... I hope you understand?

JDMEK5

Quote from: InsigTurtle on February 24, 2015, 08:24:20 PMJust wondering, why didn't you add the second voice from m.6 to m.13?
If you're talking about the harmony, I left it out because it's not in the original and so it will add contrast to the later repeated section (which I'm sure is what the composer was thinking).

Quote from: InsigTurtle on February 24, 2015, 08:24:20 PMAlso, only in that part, it sounds like the first dotted quarter of every phrase should be replaced with a quarter and a eighth. That really wasn't the best way to explain it... but... I hope you understand?
The way you explained it and I understood it would be wrong if done on an exam. Because a dotted is easier and completely legitimate. So no.

My Arrangements

InsigTurtle

Ah, I meant that it sounded like there were supposed to be two separate notes instead of one single note. It's only for that first part. And I'm pretty sure I hear that second voice in that part, but it isn't as prominent. I don't think I explained that very well either...

JDMEK5

Ah, I do see what you mean. I'll add that in when I get the chance.

EDIT: Ok hold on, when I changed stuff last it completely transposed stuff in the middle. I'll have to be fixing that too

My Arrangements

JDMEK5

My Arrangements

Zeta