News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[DELETED] [DC] Sonic Adventure 2 - "Live and Learn" by K-NiGhT

Started by Zeta, January 30, 2015, 09:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Sonic
Game: Sonic Adventure 2
Console: Dreamcast
Title: Live and Learn
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: K-NiGhT

K-NiGhT

Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Bespinben

Well this was quite a nostalgia trip.

This is just a brief sketch of some things I noticed, since peering through the whole sheet would take me way too long (but kudos to you for writing it!).
1.) There's some kind of ambient intro for the first measure you skipped. Maybe do some interesting octave arpeggio thingamajig on C#? It's up to you.
2.) Again, this was probably a artistic decision on your end, but the majority of the song is usually about an octave lower than you have written, accompaniment and melody. Again, up to you to change that or not. Since there are lot of repeated sections, maybe consider playing one repeat in a certain register and the next repeat in another register (octave).
3.) Speaking of repeats, you could seriously knock off a lot of measures with some repeat systems. Measures 1-4 = 4-8;  1st & 2nd ending repeat for measures 11-26 (@ 18 & 26); 1st & 2nd ending repeat for measures 44-59 (@51 & 59); 1st & 2nd ending repeat for measures 74-89 (@80-81 & 88-89); chorus at m. 91-110 is a repeat of the chorus (by definition) of the chorus @ m. 44-63 -- use a D.S al Coda at the end of measure 90, putting a segno at m. 44 and a "To Coda" at the end of m. 62 (m. 62-63 is slightly different than m. 109-110), marking the coda at m. 109. Chorus comes in again m. 142. Remember that all these numbers are based on your current version - once you start making the first changes, the measure number for later changes will change likewise.
4.) Re-enter the 2nd layer at m. 74, 78, and 82. Some spacing went wonky there.
5.) Consider labeling the different song sections? It's a rock song, so a little text wouldn't hurt for this mammoth sheet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_structure_(popular_music))
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

K-NiGhT

I'll get started!
As far as your first two suggestions, those were mostly artistic choices. I didn't do the little ambient intro at the beginning because I wasn't quite sure how to make it sound good on the piano, and the second one was just to avoid unecessary hand crossing, since it's already a difficult piece to begin with.

K-NiGhT

I've made as many edits as I felt I could do. There were some differences between parts of the chorus that didn't allow for endings to be made, and putting in too many codas and whatnot felt a little clunky to me. If you really want me to do all that, though, I can.

Maelstrom

The note beaming is inconsistent. Take another look at it.

K-NiGhT

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 14, 2015, 02:11:41 PMThe note beaming is inconsistent. Take another look at it.
Little late, but I'm not sure what you mean?

Maelstrom

Measures 19, 27, 42 are just wrong.
But through most of the piece you take pains to make sure the beginning of the 2nd and 4th beats are visible (making quarters into tied eights) But then there are times like in measures 36, 55, 77 where you don't. I'd recommend going through it and double checking everything. I am going from the PDF (No finale on this computer), just so you know.

FireArrow

Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 03, 2015, 08:47:26 AMLittle late, but I'm not sure what you mean?

The rule of rhythm groupings (as of lately being called note beaming?) is to never allow a weaker beat to be held over a stronger beat with one note. Thus, in 4/4 the priority would be 1>3>2/4, anything in between those beats shouldn't go over as to make each beat visible. The exception to this rule is if you have an eight -> quarter -> eight rhythm starting on either the first or third beat, you don't have to notate the quarter as two tied eighths (this is optional though.)

So:
Measure 9: Change the first quarter note to two tied eighths.
Measure 11: Change the dotted half to a quarter tied to a half.
Measure 19: Reverse the order of the half and eight note.
Measure 27: Same as 19.
Measure 33: Consider combining the tied eighths.
Measure 34: Change the dotted quarter to a quarter tied to an eight.
Measure 35: Change the quarter to two tied eights.

See if you can do the rest. (...totally not becuase im lazy)

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

DonValentino

Last bump.

Just a reminder to everyone, please remember to check your submissions periodically to see if they have feedback and correct them accordingly, otherwise they will be deleted for inactivity (this could have tbh).

Latios212

I really would like to see this sheet accepted rather than deleted

Re-beamed
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle