News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[Wii] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - "Island In The Sky" by NocturneOfShadow

Started by Zeta, January 30, 2015, 08:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Console: Nintendo Wii
Title: Island In The Sky
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: NocturneOfShadow

[attachment deleted by admin]

mikey

unmotivated

mikey

so uh
the pdf has 4 downloads
at least 1 of you probably has feedback
or is it perfect
unmotivated

Xaoz

I will have a closer look and try to tell you my thoughts.
On the first look, there is some stuff that I found:

The pedaling is too short. You have to keep it till the end of the measures and not release it with the last note playing, but after.
The style of the whole thing is not NSM conform:
  • no nsm link under copyright
  • no gametitle under song title
  • no numeric tempo mark
  • this redundant and ugly "Pno." before each line
  • missing measure numbers at the start of each line
Just look at the guidelines... I probably missed some stuff... Also the list of composers looks really ugly (The "Composed by" is missing, too). Use some newlines...

There is probably way more, but you might want to fix this first, while I have a look at the rest. I like the song, though! Now I am looking forward to playing Skyward Sword even more :D

edit 1:

Okay, keep in mind, that I have no idea what I am actually doing, so I would also like to have some feedback to my feedback, since I want to know if the things I suggest are actually right.
  • The stuff I said before
  • You might want to add some more expression text (optional but still good style, I think)
  • Measure 5 to 6 if you listen closely, you can hear the part of the left hand fading. There should be some decrescendo for the left hand.
  • Measure 5 staccato? The first A does not really sound short to me... Same in measure 7 and at the other repetitions of that theme.
  • Measure 11 should be 3 16th and a rest instead of the two 16th and two tied 8th, I think. I hear a pause there.
  • It feels like you just were too lazy to go on notating the pedaling. I don't know why you stopped it. You should atleast give some hint to the pianist then, that he should pedal freely or sth., since it is still in the original.
  • Measure 12 accent on the F#? I do not hear that... Maybe my hearing is just bad. Same for B in next measure.
  • Also going to forte in measure 13 seems a bit overkill... I don't feel like it gets that much louder. Maybe mf.
  • 2nd measure line 5(really... add the numbers at the first measure of each line... the counting is killing me...) the B should have a trill, I think.

edit 2:
  • Crescendo from measure 5-7 and decrescendo from 11-12? I do not hear that... And the way Finale does it, it does not sound right, so I would remove it.
  • Measure 12 just sounds wrong to me... I think it should be B E F# A G# E

I think someone else should do this, since I am not good at this stuff :D

Quote from: Bespinben on February 03, 2015, 07:49:27 PM
I give the Bespin seal of approval to Xaoz's critique (^o^)=b

mikey

Quote from: Xaoz on January 31, 2015, 02:04:53 PMThe pedaling is too short. You have to keep it till the end of the measures and not release it with the last note playing, but after.I can't figure out how to fix this
    • no nsm link under copyright
    pointed out by zoro earlier, will fix on draft 2 :)
    • no gametitle under song title
    whoops!  Thanks!
    • no numeric tempo mark
    That's okay, Italian is allowed last time I checked.  Besides, the original's tempo is about 90.3ish (or there are fermatas that I can't hear!)
    • this redundant and ugly "Pno." before each line
    Can't figure out how to delete with 2012
    • missing measure numbers at the start of each line
    uh...
    [/list]
    Just look at the guidelines... I probably missed some stuff... Also the list of composers looks really ugly (The "Composed by" is missing, too). Use some newlines...As far as I can tell the composer list is formatted properly

There is probably way more, but you might want to fix this first, while I have a look at the rest. I like the song, though! Now I am looking forward to playing Skyward Sword even more :DThe music is AWESOME!  Not Wind Waker awesome, but AWESOME!
    unmotivated

Xaoz

Do we have the same file? I took the .mus but it should be the same as the PDF. Maybe this is an old version?

edit: It is also not very clever to reply in a quote, since that is not what quotes are for and I cannot quote your replies, since I cannot quote your quote (Inception).

edit2:
    Guideline-thread says:

(...)Metronome Marking:
    You have to include one of these with your sheet. It must include "note value = number" like in the picture.
    You can also add a musical direction (eg Presto)(...)

Olimar12345

Spot on, Xaoz. Remember, Nocturne, there is a blank template file in the guidelines thread that is already correctly formatted for all members to use-bad formatting should not be an issue! d:
    Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Xaoz

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 31, 2015, 04:10:42 PMSpot on, Xaoz. Remember, Nocturne, there is a blank template file in the guidelines thread that is already correctly formatted for all members to use-bad formatting should not be an issue! d:

Wait, wait, wait... Everything I suggested or are you just talking about the tempo mark? There is no way, everything I said is correct!

Olimar12345

It all looks good to me. Also, Noc: you only need to add the copyright info on the first page. there are other things like that I could say, but rereading through the guidelines would be easier.
    Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Bespinben

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
    Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Olimar12345

Xaoz

Xaoz

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
    who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
    [close]
    turtle