News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

[Wii] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - "Island In The Sky" by NocturneOfShadow

Started by Zeta, January 30, 2015, 08:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Quote from: Xaoz on January 31, 2015, 02:04:53 PMI will have a closer look and try to tell you my thoughts.
    On the first look, there is some stuff that I found:

The pedaling is too short. You have to keep it till the end of the measures and not release it with the last note playing, but after.
    The style of the whole thing is not NSM conform:
    • no nsm link under copyright
    DONE
    • no gametitle under song title
    DONE
    • no numeric tempo mark
    CANNOT DO
    • this redundant and ugly "Pno." before each line
    CANNOT DO
    • missing measure numbers at the start of each line
    DONE
    [/list]
    Just look at the guidelines... I probably missed some stuff... Also the list of composers looks really ugly (The "Composed by" is missing, too). Use some newlines... CANNOT DO

There is probably way more, but you might want to fix this first, while I have a look at the rest. I like the song, though! Now I am looking forward to playing Skyward Sword even more :D

edit 1:

Okay, keep in mind, that I have no idea what I am actually doing, so I would also like to have some feedback to my feedback, since I want to know if the things I suggest are actually right.
    • The stuff I said before
    • You might want to add some more expression text (optional but still good style, I think)
    BLOWING MY MIND HERE BUT I'LL SEE WHAT I CAN DO
    • Measure 5 to 6 if you listen closely, you can hear the part of the left hand fading. There should be some decrescendo for the left hand.
    EVEN IF I COULD HEAR IT I COULDN'T ISOLATE IT TO THE LEFT HAND
    • Measure 5 staccato? The first A does not really sound short to me... Same in measure 7 and at the other repetitions of that theme.
    DONE
    • Measure 11 should be 3 16th and a rest instead of the two 16th and two tied 8th, I think. I hear a pause there.
    DONE
    • It feels like you just were too lazy to go on notating the pedaling. I don't know why you stopped it. You should atleast give some hint to the pianist then, that he should pedal freely or sth., since it is still in the original.
    I'D LIKE TO PUT IN A SIMILE BUT IDK HOW
    • Measure 12 accent on the F#? I do not hear that... Maybe my hearing is just bad. Same for B in next measure.
    OKAY FINE
    • Also going to forte in measure 13 seems a bit overkill... I don't feel like it gets that much louder. Maybe mf.
    OKAY FINE
    • 2nd measure line 5(really... add the numbers at the first measure of each line... the counting is killing me...) the B should have a trill, I think.
    DONE
    [/list]

edit 2:
    • Crescendo from measure 5-7 and decrescendo from 11-12? I do not hear that... And the way Finale does it, it does not sound right, so I would remove it.
    DONE, FINALE PLAYBACK IS DUMB
    • Measure 12 just sounds wrong to me... I think it should be B E F# A G# E
    YOU'RE RIGHT ON THE E F# BUT IT'S DEFINITELY AN F AT THE END I'M 100% SURE
    [/list]
    I think someone else should do this, since I am not good at this stuff :D

3 things:
    I'm not really one for expression text

what do you mean diminuendo only in the left hand

how do I simile without just typing "simile" (like actually have it in the piece)

And that's it
    changes will be updated
    unmotivated

mikey

Concerto's helping me get a better Finale and if he does then I'll be able to do the fixes that I can't right now ;o
    unmotivated

Sebastian

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 15, 2015, 01:02:54 PMConcerto's helping me get a better Finale and if he does then I'll be able to do the fixes that I can't right now ;o
    Helping? He's gonna buy you one?

Xaoz

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 15, 2015, 01:02:54 PMConcerto's helping me get a better Finale and if he does then I'll be able to do the fixes that I can't right now ;o

Something tells me your problem is not the Finale version...

Quote from: Bespinben on February 03, 2015, 07:49:27 PM
    I give the Bespin seal of approval to Xaoz's critique (^o^)=b

mikey

Quote from: mariolegofan on February 15, 2015, 01:03:50 PMHelping? He's gonna buy you one?
    Uh... yeah...
    <.<
    >.>
    "buy"
    Quote from: Xaoz on February 15, 2015, 01:04:24 PMSomething tells me your problem is not the Finale version...
    considering I've used both notepad 2012 and 2014, I can certainly say with the upgraded version I can perform many fixes.
    unmotivated

Sebastian

Xaoz

I give the Bespin seal of approval to Xaoz's critique (^o^)=b

mikey

unmotivated

Bespinben

For joy, or for disappoint. That is the question.

I'll have to make sure it's the former then.
    Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
    Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

mikey

unmotivated

mikey

unmotivated

Sebastian

mikey

unmotivated

mikey

unmotivated

Xaoz