News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

Getting in Shape & Eating Healthier

Started by ZeldaFan, January 19, 2015, 09:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperFireKirby

The smaller plate thing does work for eating less. We innately want to fill up empty space, so if we have a bigger plate/bowl/whatevs, we'll get more food to fill it up.

And on the subject of carbohydrates. ALL carbs eventually wind up as either glucose or fructose, besides undigestable ones like cellulose. And eating some fruit before a workout is a fantastic way to get some quick energy. Cutting carbs is far more necessary for losing weight than gaining it, and even then it's really not that important, unless you have some uncontrollable desire to feel like shit all the time(a side effect of the body losing its primary energy source.)

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: braixen1264 on January 20, 2015, 05:54:22 PMGet smaller plates/bowls and stuff if you want to eat less.
It's a psychology thing I think. I don't remember if the place I heard this was a credible source so don't take that advice so seriously.
I too have heard this before, but I've never understood it... if I have a smaller bowl/plate, that just means I'll have to go back and get more to receive an adequate amount of food (I have actually tried this before). If you're the kind of person who says "I'll only eat what's on the plate," then it might help you, but I don't think undereating is too healthy (depending on how much you would normally eat)...

EDIT: Ninja'd. Well, I guess some people don't know to stop eating when they're full? ???
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

SuperFireKirby

It really all comes down to self-control. Something most people seem to lack

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Xaoz

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 20, 2015, 06:04:36 PMAnd on the subject of carbohydrates. ALL carbs eventually wind up as either glucose or fructose, besides undigestable ones like cellulose.

Yes, however their effect on your blood sugar could not be any more different! And that is why you do not want simple carbs.

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 20, 2015, 06:04:36 PMAnd eating some fruit before a workout is a fantastic way to get some quick energy.

You should avoid simple carbs especially before your workout. They will provide you with some fast energy to start off and leave you with a hughe deficit afterwards. Simple carbs belong to the post-workout nutrition, not to pre-workout!

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 20, 2015, 06:04:36 PMThe smaller plate thing does work for eating less. We innately want to fill up empty space, so if we have a bigger plate/bowl/whatevs, we'll get more food to fill it up.

No idea if this actually works or not, since I think it is completely unnecessary to even consider. When want to be aware of what you eat, you need to know what and how much you eat. Rule number one for every nutrition plan (losing fat or building muscle) should be: Never feel hungry! If you are hungry, you are likely to eat shit that you would not eat, if you were not hungry. If you have the problem that you never feel saturated(right word?), then this is really weird, but you should try eating vegetables to compensate, if you already reached your cKcal limit.

Quote from: Bespinben on February 03, 2015, 07:49:27 PM
I give the Bespin seal of approval to Xaoz's critique (^o^)=b

Xaoz

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 20, 2015, 06:08:26 PMIt really all comes down to self-control. Something most people seem to lack

To keep a strict nutrition for building muscle, I agree 100%. I really have no problem eating 7 meals a day and planning everything. I do not even need cheat meals. Before I started, I just ate sugar, did drink coke only and that kind of stuff. But I just got used to this now... Only water or tea and almost no simple carbs.

If you just want to lose weight... You need like almost no self-control... Losing weight is so simple, it is funny, how many people are actually overweight and complain how they cannot lose weight.

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Xaoz on January 20, 2015, 06:17:02 PMIf you just want to lose weight... You need like almost no self-control... Losing weight is so simple, it is funny, how many people are actually overweight and complain how they cannot lose weight.
You see, it's things like this that convince me you have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Losing weight is EXTREMELY difficult for some people, just as gaining weight is extremely difficult for others. My brother is 200lbs of pure muscle. No matter how much I work out or what my diet is, I will probably never 170lbs. Everyone is different. Understand this.

FireArrow

I feel like he's just a work out freak who's knowledge comes from sports coaches. You're posts, while accurate, remind me of that bs nutrition stuff I hear from people in high school sports teams.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Xaoz

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 20, 2015, 06:21:33 PMMy brother is 200lbs of pure muscle.

What can I even say, when I read stuff like this...

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 20, 2015, 06:21:33 PMLosing weight is EXTREMELY difficult for some people, just as gaining weight is extremely difficult for others. My brother is 200lbs of pure muscle. No matter how much I work out or what my diet is, I will probably never 170lbs. Everyone is different. Understand this.

Like you mix up BUILDING MUSCLES and LOSING FAT AGAIN! Those are two COMPLETELY different things! 170lbs is not really much... Like... Really not much. I don't know your height, but I'm pretty sure you could reach that pretty easily.
Yes, losing weight is difficult for some people. People with some really fucked up illnesses like hypothyroidism. There are not THAT many people with that! AND EVEN THEN you can still do it! It just takes way more effort!

But I started arguing again... Will try to stop it from now on. If you do not like what I post, I can live with that. You do not need to believe me. I am here to help the people who are actually interested in LEARNING and improving on this stuff. I feel you guys will never do, since you heard different information from someone else first and now never gonna change your mind. No offense.

Quote from: FireArrow on January 20, 2015, 06:27:03 PMI feel like he's just a work out freak who's knowledge comes from sports coaches. You're posts, while accurate, remind me of that bs nutrition stuff I hear from people in high school sports teams.

I have not had a single coach in my whole life. Everything I know I learned from books, the internet, long long research and personal experience. I don't even know why you feel the need to insult me, but w/e. I do not care anymore.

SuperFireKirby

I meant to say "Break 170lbs". As in, that is the maximum weight I can achieve. And the statement "Losing weight is easy/simple" is 100% false. So so so fucking false.

Genetics brah, ever hear of them?

FireArrow

Ugh, please don't be a hypocrite about it, I'm trying to help NoS too. This entire debate argument was started by you coming here and throwing around confetti about how uninformed we are.

*hint* If you're saying this to a biochem major, think about what it entails.

Quotesince you heard different information from someone else first and now never gonna change your mind.

FierceDeity

Xaoz

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 20, 2015, 06:46:53 PMGenetics brah, ever hear of them?

Yes. Number 1 excuse for people that use wrong workout-plans and wrong nutrition.

Quote from: FireArrow on January 20, 2015, 06:47:32 PM*hint* If you're saying this to a biochem major, think about what it entails.

Friend of mine has a master's degree in biochem. His weight is around 120kg and he has been doing bodybuilding for 13 years. If you want I can get him involved. Not like biochemistry would really have any influence on the understand of this, since we are basically talking only about the fundamental BASICS. But... You would not believe him either, if he actually disagreed with you.
You really do not want to discuss. You do not want to learn. You want to be right. If you actually wanted to help anyone, you'd stop acting like you know everything better and bring in some serious and scientific facts, that you can prove.

Quote from: FireArrow on January 20, 2015, 06:47:32 PMThis entire debate argument was started by you coming here and throwing around confetti about how uninformed we are.

I did not throw any confetti. Yes, you are uninformed. I wanted to discuss every point that DrP posted in the first place and explain what is wrong about that and why, but even if I did... No one would believe me.

Like seriously: I put really much effort into my extremely long FierceDeity post and already explained some basics there. Then I get completely quoted wrong and no one even really seemed to read it.

FireArrow

Whoa whoa whoa, keep making stuff up.

You never even told me why I was wrong or what exactly I was wrong about. All I got from you is "I dun want to start an argument" then you proceeded to talk about sugars.

So sorry for not blindly accepting what you say over what doctors have told me, I must be really short sighted huh?

Edit: Oh, I guess I'll have to infer that it's the 2 lbs a week since you included DrP as well.

Xaoz

Quote from: FireArrow on January 20, 2015, 07:03:23 PMWhoa whoa whoa, keep making stuff up.

You never even told me why I was wrong or what exactly I was wrong about. All I got from you is "I dun want to start an argument" then you proceeded to talk about sugars.

So sorry for not blindly accepting what you say over what doctors have told me, I must be really short sighted huh?

So do you actually want me to explain this stuff to you? If you guys actually calmed down and listened I would take the time. And yes, I did not want to start an argument in the first place, because it leads directly here.

mikey

Listen guys all I want is to gain a few pounds of muscle.
And a 6-pack.
Is that really something to argue about?
unmotivated