[DELETED] [WiiU] Super Mario 3D World - "Piranha Creeper Creek" by ThatGamer

Started by Zeta, December 17, 2014, 04:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThatGamer

Quote from: blueflower999 on January 06, 2015, 07:06:51 PMBiggest lie I've ever seen.

Can you give me some proof or something please?

I never meant to target specific members though, sorry I I did.
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

Bespinben

Definitely can see you made some changes from the last time! And, now that I'm at my desktop, I can use my lovely Snippet Tool.

I want to focus on measures 4-7 for now. This is what you wrote:

I can see you took my advice about using the left hand more to aid the melody! Excellent. However, there is much cleaner way of communicating this idea.

Allow me to demonstrate:

One thing I've noticed in your arrangements ThatGamer is that you always write everything in one layer. See those red notes? They're not red in the printed sheet, but it's what we would call the second layer. You can write in this layer by clicking the little "2" at the bottom left corner of Finale (any version). The benefit of this is that it allows you to write rhythmically independent lines in the same staff. However, you can also use this tool to convey an idea of "separateness" between the lower and higher voice of the melody, which, if you use lines between the lower staff and the higher staff (as I have done), very clearly says "use the LH to play the red notes" without having to write a monstrous piece of text (like this paragraph!). Can you see how writing it in this way helps make reading the sheet easier?

{Exhibit A = bass clef in the right hand
{Exhibit B = the whole paragraph I just wrote

Exhibit C points to the fact that I suddenly switch back to using a single layer to write the octave doubled melody. Why? Because the bass starts playing there again, so therefore the RH would need to play both notes. So, to communicate this, you would then write it in a single layer, conveying a "union" of the lower and higher voices of the melody. Again, the lines speak a lot.

But Bespinben, it sounds neat and all, but who actually writes music like that?

Why, plenty people! The masters themselves! Here's a real example of Exhibit C, from Liszt's piano transcription of Ave Maria:

Look at the middle staff of the 3-staff score (and yes, 3-staff piano scores do exist). Notice how on the beginning of beat 2 the octave doubled melody is connected in one layer, but then for the rest of beat 2, it is written in separate layers? It means that the RH would play both notes of the octave doubled melody by itself at the beginning of the beat, and then those notes would be distributed between both hands, the lower layer to the left hand and the upper layer to the right hand.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

ThatGamer

Yikes, that's gonna be hard...so basically what you're saying, is you want me to use layer 2 for measures 4-7, and then it's finished?...
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

Bespinben

I hope this doesn't deter your spirit to arrange, but my critique is meant to be representative of a type of problem that is prevalent throughout the entire sheet, not just m. 4-7. My goal isn't so much to get your sheet on site as quick as possible as it is to use your submission as a way to teach you skills you'll need as an arranger.

...as a side note, you don't have to write that passage or the others like it in the way I wrote. That's just one of many approaches you can take. I do expect some solution to make it more clean though. For example, you could write the lower octave of the melody in the lower staff instead, and use the 2nd layer there. That would be the"non-line craziness" method (I just made that word up).
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

ThatGamer

Quote from: Bespinben on January 07, 2015, 08:00:09 AMI hope this doesn't deter your spirit to arrange, but my critique is meant to be representative of a type of problem that is prevalent throughout the entire sheet, not just m. 4-7. My goal isn't so much to get your sheet on site as quick as possible as it is to use your submission as a way to teach you skills you'll need as an arranger.

...as a side note, you don't have to write that passage or the others like it in the way I wrote. That's just one of many approaches you can take. I do expect some solution to make it more clean though. For example, you could write the lower octave of the melody in the lower staff instead, and use the 2nd layer there. That would be the"non-line craziness" method (I just made that word up).

Ok, I'll try to fix this within the hour!

Might take longer to figure out the layer two tool, but then again, I was a mod of a site where layer 2 is important...

ThatGamer

There's a problem...I can't change the clef, and the red layer isn't working!

ThatGamer

mikey

Close to the bottom left corner there should be 4 buttons with 1 2 3 and 4 on them.  Click the 2 and continue inputting notes.
unmotivated

Sebastian

ThatGamer

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 07, 2015, 08:45:39 AMClose to the bottom left corner there should be 4 buttons with 1 2 3 and 4 on them.  Click the 2 and continue inputting notes.

I've got that...problem is, I can't change the clef!!!

Yugi

Well considering that thatgamer has been banned, will this get deleted now?

Maelstrom

Olimar12345

Just leave these threads to wither until he returns. No point in bumping them back up to the top if we can't accept them.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

ThatGamer

Alright, I'm back!...the arrangement still isn't fixed though...

King Sammer

Quote from: ThatGamer on February 07, 2015, 07:53:53 AMAlright, I'm back!...the arrangement still isn't fixed though...
I'm idling, so I can't fix it for you, That Gamer.
Oh ho! What a performance! And what exotic garb you drape yourself in, challenger!