The Third Annual NSM Superlatives

Started by blueflower999, November 30, 2014, 07:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-NiGhT

Thanks for voting me best storyteller guys :) I'll admit I haven't done as much with a particular story as I'd like, but maybe I'll suddenly get some big inspiration sometime soon thanks to you all!
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

MaestroUGC

It is with great honor that I accept the Best Composer award for a third year in a row. It is also with a great reluctance that I give this speech.

There are times when I feel as though I can rival Beethoven himself, a claim many make but few actually achieve. Then there are times where I believe my efforts will go unnoticed; something I feel all creators share. I suppose it all comes down to the fact that I feel I speak an entirely different language than most understand here. I work in styles and forms that fell out of vogue a hundred years ago, an appeal to that past I suppose.

My context is two hundred years before me; and the closer I get to that ideal, I feel as though I drift further away from the now. Even with my arrangements, a quaint hobby at best, I try to bridge that gap and with each one I grow closer to understanding what makes both so great.

I once told someone that all we do, as composers, is simply emulate those whom we love and aspire to be. It is through that emulation that we discover our own voice, our own idiom. I'm still discovering mine, and with each note I set I understand it a little more. And with each piece I feel as though one more person understands what I am doing here. Sure, critical feedback would be nice, but I wish to go far beyond that.

Ultimately, it's not for the praise or the accolades or the money as none of those really last. It's about the legacy of it all, being able to stand alongside those great masters who showed me the way. So thank you for this award, this tiny trophy of humor, because at least in this small community I know somebody will listen and understand, if only one.

Thank you.

And you thought I couldn't give a serious acceptance speech.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

mikey

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 02, 2015, 07:38:22 PMAnd you thought I couldn't give a serious acceptance speech.
I COULD FEEL IT
THEN YOU RUINED IT
unmotivated

MaestroUGC

Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Sebastian

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 02, 2015, 07:38:22 PMMaestro's Speech
You've convinced us you're a great composer. Now, can you convince the world?

SlowPokemon

I love new NSM I haven't loved this website this much in years
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Dude

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

mikey

unmotivated

K-NiGhT

Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

DrP

braix

pls hurry up with the next awards, blue
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

blueflower999

Quote from: braixen1264 on January 04, 2015, 10:54:15 AMpls hurry up with the next awards, blue
Quit your whining  :P

I don't have time for a ton of them but I'll do a few, why not.

Cutest Friends
Winner: Slow       Pokemon + Blueflower!

Hm, what can I say to sum up Slow and myself's friendship? Hm, that's a toughie. Slow is hella awesome and I love him and all, but what about our relationship is "cute", exactly? I don't see it. I'm not even really aware of how much our friendship is visible to other people on this forum considering that most of our conversations take place on Skype. So how is it even possible to judge the cuteness of our bromance?

Maybe it's the eyes. Yep, it's definitely Slow's eyes. They tend to do that to people.

Runner-up: Maestro + Maestro!

I love NSM. No, I really do. The fact that this wins over people like Pit + Fingerz and Slow + Waddle really amazes me. I mean, it could be worse. Thank God ThatGamer joined after the nomination process was over or else we'd see things like "ThatGamer + King Sammer" and crap like that. You know what is really interesting about this award though? The fact that I can't tell if it's referring to Maestro's narcissism or the fact that he's growing a duplicate of himself in his basement to run as his vice president in 2028. Probably both.

Honorable Mention: Shadowkirby + Kman!

Aha! Now here's something legitimate. Shadowkriby and Cwoman69 have been best buds for as long as I can remember. If memory serves, I think Shadow even introduced Kman to the forums in the first place. I suppose there aren't many people to choose for friends up at the North Pole, but these two are pretty similar interest-wise as far as I can tell. Plus, they're both great guys, and that's all that really matters. Cheers!
[close]

Best Sheet Reviewer
Winner: Olimar!

Oh no, not another music category that I can't relate to! Oh well, at least this one's pretty obvious: Olimar has definitely done a fantastic job in reviewing sheets. Constantly offering helpful criticisms of arrangements, Olimar becoming an updater and a staff member was a great idea on the part of... whoever's idea that was. He even had this awesome Live Feedback Thread (which isn't going on anymore?) that would allow people to get live critiques of their pieces in the Tinychat. It worked very well and was incredibly helpful to some of the newer arrangers to get their sheets accepted quickly. Olimar definitely knows his stuff and knows how to get stuff done.

Runner-up: Deku!

Deku and Olimar are a great team, and they're the ones I usually see critiquing sheets in the submission threads. Until last night, I didn't notice that Deku was actually promoted to be an Administrator (previously the only one was JaMaHa), so now he's essentially the second in command below our Supreme Overlord. Anyway, Deku knows a ton about music and always does a great job of updating the database and submissions systems. Yay! Trombone!

Honorable Mention: Bespinben!

The newest addition to the staff of NinSheetMusic, Bespinben posted a small update back in November to prove that, yes, he can navigate the new semi-automated updating system!! I don't want to sound like a broken record here, so let's just say that Bespinben knows a ton about music that I can't even relate to, he's a super cool guy that helps people out with their sheets, and I'm sure does stuff behind the scenes to help out with updating the site!
[close]

Best Moderator
Winner: Bubbles!

Wait, Bubbles is a moderator?! It feels like just yesterday that he/she joined the site, and over a year after myself, I might add. Bubbles has been managing the request board since Shadoninja left the position, and while she had very large shoes to fill, she's been doing a pretty good job of it. It could still use a lot of cleaning up, sure, but nothing is too much for Bubs. Just make sure you follow the golden 3 rules:

1. Don't mess with Bubbles
2. Post your request with a YouTube link
3. Don't mess with Bubbles

Runner-up: Olimar!

As I said above, making Olimar an updater was a genius idea on the part of the staff (hey, it worked out a lot better than making Shadowkirby an updater). I suppose technically speaking neither Bubbles nor Olimar are "moderators", so many the next person who does the NSM Superlatives should change this category to "Best Staff Member" or something like that. Anyway, there's not really much I can say that I didn't say above already. Olimar rocks as a moderator, and anyone who disagrees will have their face being eaten by a Bulborb in his signature.

Honorable Mention: Deku!

Alright, now here's a real moderator. Technically an administrator, but I guess that's like a super-ultra-omega moderator. Deku Trombonist, along with Winter, has posted the vast majority of the updates on the site, so therefore he's also responsible for much of the goodness and success that NSM has as a whole. He might not be as pimpsteresque as the other Deku, but he's still pretty great.
[close]

There, those were awful. You happy now?
Bulbear! Blueflower999

mikey

I think I speak for most others when I say yes, I'm happy.
That being said, I WANT MORE

I can tell you put a lot of effort into making these entertaining though, good job! :P
unmotivated