News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

[GBA] The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - "Mt. Crenel" by NocturneOfShadow

Started by Zeta, November 24, 2014, 06:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

unmotivated

Brassman388

Why not throw that second run on the bottom staff and indicate that it's being played by the same hand.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36750916/Mt%20Crenel%20v.3.mus

Looking something like this, but the run on top is to not sound as low. That happened as soon as I put the 8vb on it. I guess it effects the whole bar.

Xaoz

Quote from: Brassman388 on February 02, 2015, 01:52:57 PMWhy not throw that second run on the bottom staff and indicate that it's being played by the same hand.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36750916/Mt%20Crenel%20v.3.mus

Looking something like this, but the run on top is to not sound as low. That happened as soon as I put the 8vb on it. I guess it effects the whole bar.

Fancy idea, but I just think it would add confusion, especially because of the 8vb if it actually should affect that run or not. I do not see a problem with the previous version... I would prefer the old one.

Quote from: Bespinben on February 03, 2015, 07:49:27 PM
I give the Bespin seal of approval to Xaoz's critique (^o^)=b

Maelstrom

Xaoz

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 02, 2015, 02:12:26 PMShould there really be note barring over rests?

I think that is a question of religious belief... Some people do not like to do it, but I don't think it is a problem...

Bespinben

Seems appropriate to in this situation. It's become a lot more prevalent in modern notation. Otherwise, if you unbarred it, the location of beat 2 in measures 5 and 7 becomes less clear.
(I suppose an alternative would be to write the phrase as a staccato dotted 8th barred with a 16th, but that gives more the impression of the dotted eighth being much shorter than it's intended to be held. With the eighth - 16th rest - 16th route, you get to clearly see how long the eighth should be held).

Quote from: Xaoz on February 02, 2015, 02:01:38 PMFancy idea, but I just think it would add confusion, especially because of the 8vb if it actually should affect that run or not. I do not see a problem with the previous version... I would prefer the old one.

I like the idea of what you did in measure 6, but like Xaoz said, it seems a little off reading the top layer as also being 8vb. Maybe you could keep it in the top staff, and just use a clef change?
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Brassman388

Yeah, this is quite a doozy.

No clef changes. It's pretty smooth so far, so we're just going to have to think of something else as far as a solution.

If it has to, if there's absolutely no way to rewrite that bit, we'll keep it the way it is now. But, I'm going to keep tinkering with it.

Xaoz

Quote from: Brassman388 on February 02, 2015, 02:38:39 PMBut, I'm going to keep tinkering with it.

I like this guy.

Quote from: Bespinben on February 02, 2015, 02:23:22 PMI like the idea of what you did in measure 6, but like Xaoz said, it seems a little off reading the top layer as also being 8vb. Maybe you could keep it in the top staff, and just use a clef change?

Best day in my life!

Bespinben

While you're tinkering away, I was wondering what you thought about that polyrhythm at measure 12? Further subdividing the 4 against 3 took me a good few head scratches to finally get right on my Air Piano™. Maybe simplify the left hand a little bit like you did somewhat like you did at measure 21? (Something like... 8th, 8th, quarter... 8th, 8th [so just getting rid of the 16ths in the LH momentarily])
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

mikey

unmotivated

Brassman388

Quote from: Bespinben on February 02, 2015, 03:06:42 PMWhile you're tinkering away, I was wondering what you thought about that polyrhythm at measure 12? Further subdividing the 4 against 3 took me a good few head scratches to finally get right on my Air Piano™. Maybe simplify the left hand a little bit like you did somewhat like you did at measure 21? (Something like... 8th, 8th, quarter... 8th, 8th [so just getting rid of the 16ths in the LH momentarily])

Hmm. There's not much I can do there. I guess that part right there will definitely define the difficulty of the piece.

The Deku Trombonist

I think bar 6 would work best just in one layer, reducing the half notes to quarters. I don't think that much is lost writing it that way.

mikey

unmotivated