[NDS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations - "Furio Tigre: Swingin' Tiger" by Jord

Started by Zeta, November 15, 2014, 07:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Furio Tigre: Swingin' Tiger
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Jordan Knapp

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yugi

SlowPokemon

Yooooooooooo so it's been a month, just wondering if anyone had any feedback on this one ^^
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Sebastian

Someone better start giving feedback around, I guess I could for now :P

This one looks pretty good!
Just one thing I noticed:
You're missing a few notes here and there. Like in measures 4 & 5 (counting pick up) for example.
There's a G in the background on beats 2 & 4 of those measure.
There a few more in the song. Just listen through for them.

Great Job!!

Maelstrom

Maelstrom

https://www.dropbox.com/s/whan88x70iust75/Furio%20Tigre%20Swingin%20Tiger%20Piano%20Solo.mus?dl=0
Fixed it up a little. I have '11, so I couldn't add the the graces notes in 16+18. I understand that they weren't added for playability, but it just feels empty. Also added harmony in triplets in 12, and the G pulse in 4+5.

Maelstrom

If Slow isn't going to do anything about this, I see no reason why this should still be here.

SlowPokemon

It's because I don't like your "corrections" and I'm certainly not going to do anything before a mod looks at it.

Maelstrom

Ok. Next time, if you could tell me that yoh don't like it instead of ignoring it, that would be nice.
I completely understand why you left those notes out. To tell the truth, I just wanted to do something to move this along. If you think it's fine without those notes, I see no reason for it not to be accepted.

Bespinben

Woohoo! 'bout time I got around to this one. Sorry Slow. I was slow :P

Exhibit A (m. 1-4)

1.) In the OST, the slide begins on exactly D3. You probably picked up on that too though, but maybe omitted it for notational clarity. I figured adding an 8vb wouldn't be too obtrusive, though it does mess with Finale playback some.
2.) There's a really quick A on the upbeat of the pickup in the OST.
3.) Mandatory: The parallel 4ths here give m. 1 it's distinctive flavor, so these can't be omitted.
4.) There's some more octave doubling here in the lower register (F3-G3) in the OST. The sustained bass note moves up an octave from D2 to D3 anyway, so you would need to omit the low D2 in m. 2 beat 2 of your present sheet, which is convenient because now it allows you to play those octave doubled melody notes you otherwise couldn't play.
5.) Purely up to you: This is what I thought of the "G pulses" and beat 2 and 4. If you play them with the LH, it allows you to keep it going (unlike Maelstroms version where it's only done for a measure in the RH). I like having the G pulses instead of omitting them because you get that nice accent on beat 2 and 4 that seems to fit this style music, kind of like "snapping".

Exhibit B (m. 5-8)

6.) The melody is actually held to the end of measure (albeit decaying really fast). The piano decays naturally anyway, so there's no need to put it as staccato like in your original arrangement.
7.) The G pulses switch gears here and instead of reinforcing beat 2 and 4, are now playing in time with the accented chords.

Exhibit C (m. 9-12)

8.) Purely up to you: I see you omitted the harmony for beat 1 of m. 11, and for good reasons too. Just thought I'd point it out just in case you wanted it in. Perhaps consider using the 2nd layer for beat 1 and write a sustained quarter note pointing downwards in the same place as the beginning of the top layer of the triplet, this way the consistency of the two voice structure is kept (as opposed to voices dropping in and out, which would be no bueno).
~8.1) My ears don't hear that as being tied over the measure, but it doesn't make much a difference either way. It does look a little nicer this way though imo.
9.) Mandatory: Wrong notes! Just move each of the melody notes a step up higher and it'll be on point.
10.) If you going to incorporate the G pulses, just know they would continue here like so, and the last one would be on E natural since that's where the slide begins that you omit in the following measures (which is fine, I would too).

Exhibit D (m. 23-25)

11.) I realize you had to omit the last two notes of the synth line because otherwise the player would would to play a 10th, but if you move beat 4 of m. 24 down an octave, this is no longer a problem. Of course, now the two parts in beat 1 of m. 25 are little fuzzy, but I think this is a better option (and you can always use layers if you feel like it).
~ Side note -- this is probably where I'd personally stop playing the G pulse in the LH because there would be too much overlap between it and the normal bass.

Exhibit E (m. 25-28)

12.) If you are going to incorporate the synth line here for the chords in m. 28, it follows that you would also write in the triplet line also. Since the "-let" of the triplet plays the same G as the first note of the melody at the same time, this works well. Of course, the synth triplet is transposed an octave downwards, but you already do that for the harmonies in m. 28, so it's nothing new. Also, mandatory: the harmony note of beat 1, m. 28 is a C, not a D.
13.) Mandatory: There is definitely a note that plays on the downbeat of beat 1, not a rest.
______

Misc. stuff:
~ I'd recommend maybe sizing down everything just a tiny bit (maybe by 5%)
~ Because you have a pick-up, all the measures are thrown off base. You're going to want to reset the measure number writing by going to into "Document", then clicking "Edit Measure Number Regions", and work the rest from there.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Bespinben

If this looks a bit daunting Slow, I still have the file still I used to make my post above on my desktop, if you'd like that. I just thought since about 2/3 of the stuff I mentioned above was not mandatory it would be better if you made those changes and not me.

Bespinben

Bespinben

Quote from: Bespinben on March 27, 2015, 10:28:40 PMWoohoo! 'bout time I got around to this one. Sorry Slow. I was slow :P

Exhibit A (m. 1-4)

Spoiler
[close]

1.) In the OST, the slide begins on exactly D3. You probably picked up on that too though, but maybe omitted it for notational clarity. I figured adding an 8vb wouldn't be too obtrusive, though it does mess with Finale playback some.
2.) There's a really quick A on the upbeat of the pickup in the OST.
3.) Mandatory: The parallel 4ths here give m. 1 it's distinctive flavor, so these can't be omitted.
4.) There's some more octave doubling here in the lower register (F3-G3) in the OST. The sustained bass note moves up an octave from D2 to D3 anyway, so you would need to omit the low D2 in m. 2 beat 2 of your present sheet, which is convenient because now it allows you to play those octave doubled melody notes you otherwise couldn't play.
5.) Purely up to you: This is what I thought of the "G pulses" and beat 2 and 4. If you play them with the LH, it allows you to keep it going (unlike Maelstroms version where it's only done for a measure in the RH). I like having the G pulses instead of omitting them because you get that nice accent on beat 2 and 4 that seems to fit this style music, kind of like "snapping".

Exhibit B (m. 5-8)
Spoiler
[close]
6.) The melody is actually held to the end of measure (albeit decaying really fast). The piano decays naturally anyway, so there's no need to put it as staccato like in your original arrangement.
7.) The G pulses switch gears here and instead of reinforcing beat 2 and 4, are now playing in time with the accented chords.

Exhibit C (m. 9-12)
Spoiler
[close]
8.) Purely up to you: I see you omitted the harmony for beat 1 of m. 11, and for good reasons too. Just thought I'd point it out just in case you wanted it in. Perhaps consider using the 2nd layer for beat 1 and write a sustained quarter note pointing downwards in the same place as the beginning of the top layer of the triplet, this way the consistency of the two voice structure is kept (as opposed to voices dropping in and out, which would be no bueno).
~8.1) My ears don't hear that as being tied over the measure, but it doesn't make much a difference either way. It does look a little nicer this way though imo.
9.) Mandatory: Wrong notes! Just move each of the melody notes a step up higher and it'll be on point.
10.) If you going to incorporate the G pulses, just know they would continue here like so, and the last one would be on E natural since that's where the slide begins that you omit in the following measures (which is fine, I would too).

Exhibit D (m. 23-25)
Spoiler
[close]
11.) I realize you had to omit the last two notes of the synth line because otherwise the player would would to play a 10th, but if you move beat 4 of m. 24 down an octave, this is no longer a problem. Of course, now the two parts in beat 1 of m. 25 are little fuzzy, but I think this is a better option (and you can always use layers if you feel like it).
~ Side note -- this is probably where I'd personally stop playing the G pulse in the LH because there would be too much overlap between it and the normal bass.

Exhibit E (m. 25-28)
Spoiler
[close]
12.) If you are going to incorporate the synth line here for the chords in m. 28, it follows that you would also write in the triplet line also. Since the "-let" of the triplet plays the same G as the first note of the melody at the same time, this works well. Of course, the synth triplet is transposed an octave downwards, but you already do that for the harmonies in m. 28, so it's nothing new. Also, mandatory: the harmony note of beat 1, m. 28 is a C, not a D.
13.) Mandatory: There is definitely a note that plays on the downbeat of beat 1, not a rest.
______

Misc. stuff:
~ I'd recommend maybe sizing down everything just a tiny bit (maybe by 5%)
~ Because you have a pick-up, all the measures are thrown off base. You're going to want to reset the measure number writing by going to into "Document", then clicking "Edit Measure Number Regions", and work the rest from there.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on March 24, 2015, 11:02:15 AMI'm certainly not going to do anything before a mod looks at it.

IM LOOKING AT IT

SlowPokemon

Oh my god I forgot about this I accept whatever changes you make I guess thank you very much I apologize for being a fucker

Bespinben

Haha no worries! I figured you just forgot, so I thought I'd make a really obnoxious post to grab your attention ;)