[NDS] Professor Layton and the Last Specter - "Misthallery's Many Canals" by Jordan Knapp

Started by Zeta, October 29, 2014, 10:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Professor Layton
Game: Professor Layton and the Last Specter
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Misthallery's Many Canals
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Jordan Knapp

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bloop

Bespinben

I think it's a great arrangement. Has a Gymnopedie-esque vibe to it. It would be nice though Slow if you could incorporate that low cello countermelody. I do realize that might create some note overlap with the LH chords though, but I bet there's a way. Show me yo' moves.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

SlowPokemon

No, there isn't a way to incorporate the cello melody without making the sheet unnecessarily cluttered. If you want to check out my ensemble arrangement, the cello melody will be there :P
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Olimar12345

I think it's fine as-is. I would almost question calling that voice a counter melody, just because of all of the octaves and similar motion it has. d:
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

I actually tried incorporating the cello voice in at parts, as well as the pizzicato strings that start halfway into the first playthrough of the track, but it ended up feeling awkward in both situations, so I decided to just stick with the accordion and piano voices.

The Deku Trombonist

Consistency is your friend here. Video game composers are nearly always consistent with their chord usage. In general, they're not suddenly going to go from 3-note chords to 4-note chords without good reason. Often this can help you work out where notes are missing (or if there are superfluous notes) by process of elimination, in case you're having problems hearing them.

With this one, try and work it out yourself.

If not, here's the answer:
Spoiler
The Bflat chords at the start are third inversion BbMaj7 chords.
[close]

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on October 31, 2014, 08:31:05 PMConsistency is your friend here. Video game composers are nearly always consistent with their chord usage. In general, they're not suddenly going to go from 3-note chords to 4-note chords without good reason. Often this can help you work out where notes are missing (or if there are superfluous notes) by process of elimination, in case you're having problems hearing them.

With this one, try and work it out yourself.

If not, here's the answer:
Spoiler
The Bflat chords at the start are third inversion BbMaj7 chords.
[close]

I'm entirely aware that they're B-flat major 7th chords, but they're not actually in third inversion. In the original piece, the notes in the chord on the piano are not F3-A3-Bb3-D4 (which is what they would be in third inversion); rather, they are Bb3-D4-F4-A4, meaning the chord is in root position, how I have it in the sheet. However, in the piano sheet I made, if you haven't already noticed, A4 is already in use in the right hand to play the melody. The only other thing I could do is add A4 to the chord in parentheses but that would be incredibly frivolous and would clutter up the sheet. If you're going to make some silly suggestion like doing that or putting the A natural an octave lower simply for the sake of having 4-note chords, I'd sooner just not submit the sheet. I'd rather keep the sheet accurate to the original than obey incredibly dumb laws about chord size consistency.

The Deku Trombonist

Root position: Bb-D-F-A
First Inversion: D-F-A-Bb
Second Inversion: F-A-Bb-D
Third Inversion: A-Bb-D-F

And F is the top note of the chord in the original. The A is on the bottom. It's got nothing to do with consistency, it's got to do with the note actually being there.

The consistency thing is simply a helpful tip for working out what's there if you're having trouble. Nothing more.

SlowPokemon

I still don't hear the A3 on the piano. If you legitimately think that's something that will hinder the sheet and prevent a site user from playing it properly, I appreciate your feedback but I won't be submitting the arrangement. I refuse to change something so nitpicky. There is a point where quality assurance turns into absurd nitpicking. So please let me know so I can either have this sheet accepted or delete the submission and submit a new one.

The Deku Trombonist

Eh, doesn't matter.

The chord in bar 33 has a Gb, not an F. The chord in bar 38 has a C (the tasty dissonance of a tritone is missing). The chord in bar 41 has a D, not an Eb.

FireArrow

I hope you don't mind me voicing my opinion slow, but the A in the first chord sounds a lot more satisfying when you consider the chord changes. The A dropping down to a G just sounds really nice, whereas the G just kinds of appearing out of nowhere doesn't sound like as crisp of a chord change.

I hope that makes sense.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

SlowPokemon

Quote from: FireArrow on November 02, 2014, 01:06:14 PMI hope you don't mind me voicing my opinion slow, but the A in the first chord sounds a lot more satisfying when you consider the chord changes. The A dropping down to a G just sounds really nice, whereas the G just kinds of appearing out of nowhere doesn't sound like as crisp of a chord change.

I hope that makes sense.

I still don't think this is right, but if multiple people have issues with it I may as well change it. Your problem should be gone now.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on November 02, 2014, 03:14:22 AMThe chord in bar 33 has a Gb, not an F. The chord in bar 38 has a C (the tasty dissonance of a tritone is missing). The chord in bar 41 has a D, not an Eb.

These are fixed.

The Deku Trombonist

SlowPokemon