Started by Sebastian, October 21, 2014, 10:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

clearly it wasn't homework
unmotivated

TooFarGann

Intellectual property is fantasy.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: TooFarGann on April 13, 2016, 04:58:34 PMIntellectual property is fantasy.
Hm, news to me. The only thing I knew about it was that it's a legit legal thing.
what is shitpost

TooFarGann

How can somebody own something that does not physically exist?

mikey

how can any one man own the land?  The land is there for all of us to share equally.
unmotivated

TooFarGann

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 13, 2016, 07:49:41 PMhow can any one man own the land?  The land is there for all of us to share equally.
That is what we call Communism. I'm from America it's apart of our ideal to own land. We got that from (I think) Locke :life liberty pursuit of property.

Dudeman

Quote from: TooFarGann on April 13, 2016, 07:47:44 PMHow can somebody own something that does not physically exist?
Pretty sure IP becomes physical when patented or otherwise trademarked.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mikey

actually pretty sure that's just native American philosophy
unmotivated

TooFarGann

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 07:58:50 PMPretty sure IP becomes physical when patented or otherwise trademarked.
I would to see proof of something like that ever happening, if you don't mind.

Altissimo

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 13, 2016, 07:59:31 PMactually pretty sure that's just native American philosophy

yeaaah this predates communism by like
thousands of years

also: it's interesting that you think IP is not a thing but also disagree with the idea of owning land, it seems like two sides of the same coin to me tbh

Dudeman

Quote from: TooFarGann on April 13, 2016, 08:04:20 PMI would to see proof of something like that ever happening, if you don't mind.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property
"Some common types of intellectual property rights (IPR) are trademarks, copyright, patents, industrial design rights, and in some jurisdictions trade secrets: all these cover music, literature, and other artistic works; discoveries and inventions; and words, phrases, symbols, and designs."
IPR's are what you use to own your IP. Sure, you can't really own a thought (not in a legal sense), but you can own an image or brand that resulted from a thought.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

TooFarGann

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 08:08:00 PM" Sure, you can't really own a thought..."
Cool! I think were are done here.
As for the whole Native American thing the whole abolition of property is still the first plank of Communism.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

You didn't let him finish his sentence, lmao.
If intellectual property doesn't exist, I take it that Beethoven's 9 symphonies and 32 piano sonatas only exist in the physical scores in which they are represented? If that's the case, might as well take the opening line of the 5th symphony (ba ba ba bum!) and call it your own.
Try this, call a lawyer, and let me know how it goes for ya.
@Communism yeah, abolition of property was a Marxist thing, but Marx wasn't entirely original either. Marx took a lot from Hegelian philosophy, as well as having studied numerous cultures (seeing as he was an economist, journalist, and historian).
what is shitpost

TooFarGann

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on April 13, 2016, 08:46:48 PMIf intellectual property doesn't exist, I take it that Beethoven's 9 symphonies and 32 piano sonatas only exist in the physical scores in which they are represented? If that's the case, might as well take the opening line of the 5th symphony (ba ba ba bum!) and call it your own.
Try this, call a lawyer, and let me know how it goes for ya.

Thats not a good example because all of his music is in the public domain, even if it wasn't , you still could. Look at weird Al he gives exactly 0 royalties for everything he does.

Dudeman

Quote from: TooFarGann on April 13, 2016, 09:01:03 PMThats not a good example because all of his music is in the public domain, even if it wasn't , you still could.
"Even if it wasn't, you still could"?! Yeah, you still could in theory. It would also be plagiarism because someone wrote it on paper and published it first.
Quote from: TooFarGann on April 13, 2016, 09:01:03 PMLook at weird Al he gives exactly 0 royalties for everything he does.
My turn to point out a poor example. Weird Al always contacts the creators of the songs he parodies before parodying them to get full permissions. He is within copyright law because he gets permission before using someone else's work.