[MUL] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U - "Running / Countdown" by Maelstrom

Started by Zeta, October 15, 2014, 06:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Smash Bros.
Game: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Running / Countdown
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Maelstrom

[attachment deleted by admin]

JDMEK5

I've just got a couple suggestions at first glance:

1) Try writing out your bass rhythm like this:

It's more theoretically sound.

2) Olimar's likely gonna want those grace notes at the beginning to have a nice big slur.

3) If you're in the mood (not necessary), I would consider doubling the tempo marking value and halving all the note values. Thereby keeping the speed the same but subdividing it differently. It would look much cleaner and I think this song sounds like it's a fair bit faster than 90 bpm.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Sebastian

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 21, 2014, 02:36:24 PM2) Olimar's likely gonna want those grace notes at the beginning to have a nice big slur.

I agree. Every time you put a grace note, either put a slur or staccato or whatever. NEVER keep it empty :)

Maelstrom

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 21, 2014, 02:36:24 PM3) If you're in the mood (not necessary), I would consider doubling the tempo marking value and halving all the note values. Thereby keeping the speed the same but subdividing it differently. It would look much cleaner and I think this song sounds like it's a fair bit faster than 90 bpm
I fixed everything but this. I really don't feel like taking the time.
I'm 100% it's 90 bpm

Cobraroll

Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

JDMEK5

Quote from: maelstrom. on October 21, 2014, 04:39:30 PMI fixed everything but this. I really don't feel like taking the time.
I'm 100% it's 90 bpm
That's perfectly fine. As I said, you don't have to but if you're in a "perfectionist mood" then it's a suggestion.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

Maelstrom

Maelstrom

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 21, 2014, 02:36:24 PMI've just got a couple suggestions at first glance:

1) Try writing out your bass rhythm like this:
*pic*
It's more theoretically sound.
What was there before?

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 21, 2014, 02:36:24 PM3) If you're in the mood (not necessary), I would consider doubling the tempo marking value and halving all the note values. Thereby keeping the speed the same but subdividing it differently. It would look much cleaner and I think this song sounds like it's a fair bit faster than 90 bpm.
I definitely agree with this. If you count/tap along/whatever with the recording, it feels super slow to have it in 4/4 like this. By the way, there is a utility to instantly double all note values (Utilities->Change->Note Durations...)

The start is a very exciting mighty whack, but I don't get that impression from looking at the sheet.

Bar 3, that crescendo is overlapping the articulations by a lot.

From bar 4 onwards, I'd suggest you have a listen to the way the individual parts move for the melody. Some of what you have needs fixing up. Either that, or there's a third voice underneath what you have. I don't really have enough time at the moment to sit down and pick it out.

The end of bar 15 needs some fixing.

Back to JDMEK5's comment about the doubling the note values and tempo: it would make the section at 17 soooooooo much easier to read.

The notes in the flute lead in to bar 21 are short, not legato.

URL needs www. in footer.

I'd put "Arranged by Kumi etc" in bold, because that's part of the composer info. The stuff in italics is for what we do here at NSM.

JDMEK5

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on October 22, 2014, 09:23:31 PMWhat was there before?
Each 16th beat was individually written with a 16th note or rest (whichever landed on that beat). Even in cases where an eighth would do. (Except for the last two eighth notes. Those were the same.

My Arrangements

The Deku Trombonist

Ah, right. I'd be inclined to change any semiquavers that fall evenly on quaver beats to quavers (for readability) and then get rid of the staccatos on any remaining semiquavers.

Although, that's potentially irrelevant if all of the note values are going to be doubled.

Maelstrom

It took a while, but I fixed everything except for the note doubling. It just makes a mess out of everything and won't affect the second layer properly. Could someone with a finale version newer than than '11 do it?

JDMEK5

I have 2012 but I don't think it's any easier than using 2011 for a situation like this.

My Arrangements

Maelstrom

Personally, I don't care if it makes it harder to read, I do not what to fix up something that looks like this