News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Discussion

Started by DonValentino, September 18, 2014, 11:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DS

Rune translation loading, please wait

mikey

at first I thought it was just the New Hylian that has a translation in Hyrule Historia, but this is Old Hylian, which probably actually dates the game to OOT-era or earlier

I've been watching E3 gameplay and I'm sticking with my gut that this is defeated timeline
unmotivated

cashwarrior1

Hey, I made an arrangement, too!
This is the song that plays when you fight Steppe Talus

http://www.mediafire.com/download/023tfag0ut0509i/Steppe_Talus.pdf

Nebbles

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on June 18, 2016, 08:50:24 AMat first I thought it was just the New Hylian that has a translation in Hyrule Historia, but this is Old Hylian, which probably actually dates the game to OOT-era or earlier

I've been watching E3 gameplay and I'm sticking with my gut that this is defeated timeline

I'm curious, what makes you think that?
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

mikey

The first clue was the rusty Master Sword
unmotivated

mikey

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on June 14, 2016, 03:13:43 PMI like the name
also there's no zelda game called "Link's Adventure" lol
so the first thing I want to show:

take a look at the master sword.
That thing has more rust than my mom's bike.
What does this mean?  I think this game falls into the "hero is defeated" timeline.

baseless speculation: what if they made a complete 3D rendition of LOZ+AOL's map?
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on June 14, 2016, 06:36:52 PMthe beginning of WW outlines the events of OOT, yes?  There can't be a game in between OOT and WW, simply because the premise of WW is "the hero did not appear".  We can eliminate BotW in certain spots based off of that; I think it's safe to say it can't occur ANYWHERE on the flooded timeline.

EDIT: Or DS could have meant Link's Awakening.  It's all very ambiguous :^) how dare you use a lmgtfy in context of zelda on me
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on June 14, 2016, 07:10:55 PMall the timelines are alternate universes I would assume

the 4 places where BotW makes the most sense is after TP/before LOZ/after AOL.  Like, it's clear this is "Hyrule" from OOT, Skyward Sword, ALttP, et c..  The main reason I'm thinking it's on the Dead timeline is because of the easter egg in the early gameplay video where Aonuma mirrored the LOZ art
Quote from: Bubbles on June 14, 2016, 08:11:27 PMMaybe this game is set between bad ending OOT and Wind waker, but this one splits it even more? Like this game could have a good ending (defeating Ganon) which would split it into a whole new branch we haven't seen yet, or the bad ending would continue on into wind waker. Maybe the bad ending would start if link never woke up from the shrine, which is why the Wind Waker legend references OOT instead

Regardless I LOVE THIS SO MUCH I've been yelling about it all day I'm sf excited :-)))
Bubbles' quote especially got me thinking.  At the beginning of the E3 version (which will presumably be the same as the english version), link "wakes up" from some sort of stasis chamber.  What if this is a link from a previous game, preserved in order to "fix" the bad ending from OoT?  Making this a sequel to LoZ/AoL.
I mean, there are a lot of logical things that we could use to disprove the flooded timeline, but they don't seem to think about any timeline ramifications (for example, what would happen to New Hyrule if the Great Sea lost its water?).  The presence of the Koroks is the only real evidence to place it in the flooded timeline, but there are a lot of other things that just don't seem to make sense if this were a spirit tracks sequel (which it would be according to BDS's "add 1000 years and call it good").  Another flag is the Temple of Time that doesn't exist in the flooded timeline.
Remember, just because there's evidence of a flood doesn't mean Wind Waker.  The entire Lanayru region (and possibly other places) were flooded in the past.  Actually, the technology from the game is VERY reminiscent of the technology from Lanayru Mining Facility.  I don't think they'd make another prequel though :P
Honestly to me it seems really likely that at some point we're going to go back in time.  Like, the world is huge and all, but what if the reason we didn't see a lot of the towns in the E3 version is because there aren't any... until you go back to the past?
unmotivated

Dudeman

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on June 18, 2016, 05:58:48 PMLike, the world is huge and all, but what if the reason we didn't see a lot of the towns in the E3 version is because there aren't any... until you go back to the past?
Naw, they've confirmed that there are towns/cities out there naturally; it's where you trade stuff to get rupees to spend on other stuff. Besides, the world is almost as large as Xenoblade Chronicles X's. Making a world that big completely unpopulated would be, well, really really boring.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

cashwarrior1

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on June 18, 2016, 05:58:48 PMLike, the world is huge and all, but what if the reason we didn't see a lot of the towns in the E3 version is because there aren't any... until you go back to the past?
We didn't see any towns because no one lives in the Great Plateau, everyone lives outside of this area. This is probably because of a war on the Castle Market from OoT, as the Temple of Time is there as well as the Bokoblins living there.

mikey

unmotivated

Bubbles

@Noc my quote about link never waking up was meant to be if BotW Link never woke up from his shrine, not OOT from his. So Wind Waker references the OOT legend because the BotW legend simply never happened

K-NiGhT

Quote from: Dudeman on June 18, 2016, 06:16:38 PMNaw, they've confirmed that there are towns/cities out there naturally; it's where you trade stuff to get rupees to spend on other stuff. Besides, the world is almost as large as Xenoblade Chronicles X's. Making a world that big completely unpopulated would be, well, really really boring.
I think this world will actually be bigger than Xenoblade X. Also, Xenoblade X had literally one town and still felt pretty alive so I think even if there weren't cities and towns literally everywhere it'll still be bomb af
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

mikey

unmotivated

Dudeman

Quote from: K-NiGhT on June 18, 2016, 07:20:55 PMI think this world will actually be bigger than Xenoblade X. Also, Xenoblade X had literally one town and still felt pretty alive so I think even if there weren't cities and towns literally everywhere it'll still be bomb af
Hm, a group of people estimated the size of the world map based on the size of the playable demo and the square grid on the map and measured it out to be a bit smaller than XCX's world in kilometers (~360sq.km for BotW, ~400sq.km for XCX). But keep in mind that New L.A. was ginormous.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Nebbles

I can buy it, then how do you explain the Koroks? They're only present in Wind Waker.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Nebbles on June 18, 2016, 07:26:37 PMI can buy it, then how do you explain the Koroks? They're only present in Wind Waker.
In that timeline, we see what happens to them in Wind Waker, but in this timeline, we see where they'd be if the events in Wind Waker onward never happened.