The BIONICLE 2015 speculation thread

Started by mikey, September 14, 2014, 01:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

*hurriedly digs through old photographs of bionicles*

I've actually made a few really really awesome ones in the past but I don't think I'll have enough time to recreate one D:
unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on November 27, 2014, 08:51:10 PM*hurriedly digs through old photographs of bionicles*

I've actually made a few really really awesome ones in the past but I don't think I'll have enough time to recreate one D:
I don't think you need to make a new one, as long as it's a villain.

I had to dig through quite a lot of my sets to make Vorpal (some of the older pieces are actually starting to crack in certain places- oops!); normally, that's something I'd be reluctant to do, but this time, it was for a good cause. :P I'll definitely post more pictures later, but yesterday, my brother needed the camera (I had to take the picture myself, which I usually don't do, because he was getting upset about the background/angle- that's a gaming chair in the background, along with some pillows to cover up wires).
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

BlackDragonSlayer

Double post. Winner were announced, and I must say.... eh. Out of all the winners, I think  Terror Bite is the most creative/original (that dinosaur head :D)- and maybe Makuta Nakken- and the only one that doesn't just look like a messy conglomeration of parts.

That brings me to another gripe, with Bionicle MOC contests in general: most people seem to prefer MOCs that are essentially just "a messy conglomeration of parts," rather than ones that actually look like Bionicles. Some people, like this guy, can do that style of MOC extremely well (having enough parts to have significant detail, yet not enough to look cluttered or disorganized- looking more refined, like fine art), but overall, I feel that those type of MOCs are just the "Oh, neat" or "Wow! Look at what that person did" kind-of thing (if you understand what I'm saying), rather than epitomizing the style of Bionicle (which I feel should be the main criteria for judging a Bionicle MOC contest).

In addition, having an innate preference for such MOCs immediately cuts out a good majority of people entering the contest, who simply don't have enough matching pieces to make something like that. I can understand if they want to hold a "Master Builder" contest for the best MOC-builders to duke it out in a public display of awesome Bionicle extravagance, but when they have a contest open to everybody, I must say that it's a bit of a letdown to have a vast majority of fans be instantly excluded from the beginning. For example, when you also have things like this that are really creepy and awesome, but are overlooked simply because they aren't done a certain way, it becomes unfair to every participant.

I'd like to see a Bionicle contest with a size/piece limit, though I doubt it will ever happen.

This rant became much larger than it started out being.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

mikey

I totally agree with you though man.  I (read: my brother) only have about 1k pieces so it's pretty hard to make the kind of things they're making.  They also used regular LEGO parts, which makes it seem kinda iffy.  But yeah the first 2 basically look like LEGO sculptures, not bionicles, and I would have to agree that the third one is probably the coolest.  The other 2 are lame.
unmotivated

Maelstrom

Personally, I disagree. It WAS unfair for people who had the skill to make scaled down villains, but I love MOCs with incredible attention to detail. You'd probably hate this, but this is one of my favorites:
Spoiler
[close]
As you can see, it uses random details to create a unique feel. I don't feel like all MOCs should be like this, but it's nice once in a while. Nakken is easily the most creative. Akutan is nice because it IS a amalgamation of parts, and it forms a cohesive whole that looks both impressive and up close. I will admit it has too many parts, but I do like it's head.  :P

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: maelstrom. on December 19, 2014, 04:26:34 PMPersonally, I disagree. It WAS unfair for people who had the skill to make scaled down villains, but I love MOCs with incredible attention to detail. You'd probably hate this, but this is one of my favorites:
Spoiler
[close]
I do like MOCs with detail (including the Exo Suit, which is actually a product now, although redone to be more stable), but as I said, it takes a certain level of finesse to pull it off right, and even then, the models are more of an "spectacle" thing (this applies more to Bionicle than System, since greebling and other intricacies can be achieved with smaller pieces).

My main point is that they shouldn't give everybody a hope at winning when they have an apparent bias towards a certain type of MOC that not everybody is able to make (because of sheer amount of pieces). Either they should restrict the entrants, or give everybody a fair chance.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

mikey

Bionicles are to play with
if they're fragile you can't play with em
unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

After a visit to Target, I came out with Lewa and the Protector of Jungle. OH YEAH.

PSA: Target restocks on Tuesdays.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

mikey

SHOOT I JUST SPENT MY MONEY
NEXT PAYCHECK THOUGH
unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

I got the Protector of Water at Toysrus, and Gali/Pohatu at SUPER Target. Gali is A+ (the giant weapon is awesome for posing), and Pohatu is pretty great as well, despite being the smallest of the Toa.

Now, time for MOCs I found:
Gali Nuva Revamp
Gakuri - Protector of Magic
Whale
Birdish Creature
Shaman and more.
Tahu Mistika Revamp
Gali Mistika Revamp

also this topic should really be moved somebody please

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

mikey

unmotivated

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mikey

unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:39:48 PMhow are you even getting bionicles?

Quote from: Dudeman on January 15, 2015, 07:45:00 PMWith money gift cards.
Our local Toysrus barely had anything (plus we were like the only people there when we went), but according to the employees, they restock on Saturdays. Going on/the day after restock days really helps.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 08:01:57 PMThey're not out yet
they came out on the 1st

and some stores even released them early

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

mikey

So my store is just eternally out of stock then
unmotivated