News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

What to do with bass lines.

Started by Maelstrom, September 01, 2014, 01:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

So, everyone's come across video games songs with a bass line that is just a boring bass guitar or some electronic percussion. There's always the choice to just not do it, but can I get some tips on how to make it more interesting/playable/piano-like?

FireArrow

If you want to be cliché you can make it an alberti bass. Those broken octaves with a fifth between them (does this have a name?) are pretty common for piano pieces as well. In all honesty, you may just want to keep the boring bass line if it goes well with the style of said piece.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

SlowPokemon

Yeah, on this site accuracy is always the most important thing.

Speaking of which, though it is pronounced "base," it's spelled "bass."
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

unmotivated

JDMEK5

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on September 01, 2014, 05:53:01 PMChords man
If it's a sad, slow piece; maybe what you need is a little arpeggiating. In which case Nocturne here is exactly right.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

MaestroUGC

If you want to give your left hand something to do, basic leaps from the bottom to mid-piano (octave-chord-repeat) is a fast an easy way to bring some zest. Bonus points if the leap is greater than two octaves.

An alternative choice to the introduce a secondary counter point to the bass line, preferably one of your own invention, but pre-existing material will work just as well.

If neither of those suite you simply invert the melody-bass parts and have the left hand play the melody under the bass-line.

Of course my personal favorite is to do all of these at once, but I don't think you're ready for that.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Clanker37

You could do a walking bass line for some groove. Or if you're really into it, call and response between your hands. I generally go for stride piano (Tonic note - Tonic Chord - Dominant - Tonic Chord, changing for modulations using a simple ostinato) which helps some of the more yawn worthy bass lines out there.

But, if it's for the site, you should probably keep the original bass line. I know it takes the energy out of some pieces, but accuracy is more important.