News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

The New Nintendo 3DS

Started by SlowPokemon, August 29, 2014, 05:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fingerz

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on November 02, 2014, 03:59:04 PMI would think it's useful in A Link Between Worlds
Now THAT was a game that implemented 3D very effectively. And yeah, 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Paper Mario did a fabulous job with it, too!
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on November 02, 2014, 03:59:04 PMI would think it's useful in A Link Between Worlds
I actually forgot about ALBW, but I never really noticed it in that game either.  There was that one dungeon with the multi level tower but even then I really didn't need it.

Actually, the only game that seemed to have a neat effect for me is Ocarina of Time 3D (which I also forgot about in that post), which while being minor I for some reason found to be neat and make it a bit more immersive.

In general I'm biased against 3D effect though, since they usually give me a headache regardless of the format.  It's always been to me a gimmick whether in films or games.

me irl
[close]

Maelstrom

It was not necessary, but looked incredible in Fire Emblem Awakening, minus the battle animations.

Maelstrom

For those of you wanting to do a system transfer, I found a great guide on how to do it here
I can't stop laughing

mikey

unmotivated

SlowPokemon

My first impressions of the system's new features:

The C-stick, if the Majora's Mask demo I played in GameStop is any indication, is amazing. The actual stick hardly moves at all, but it was incredibly responsive and using it to move the camera was really intuitive.

The ZL and ZR triggers strike me as a little odd since your finger needs to be over the original L and R buttons to use them. No games that are out actually use these buttons though so I'm not sure.

The "Super 3D" face tracking feature is incredible. It's impossible to lose sight of the 3D effect unless you literally turn the 3DS away from you. Even if you never use the 3D at all, you'll probably find you like it on the New 3DS.

The system itself has had a few weird movements. The Power Button is not only on the front of the system, but it's much easier to press, meaning that it's now easier than ever to accidentally power off your system. Hasn't happened yet, but still. The Game Card slot being moved to the front is also really awkward, and since my fifth finger usually sits under the 3DS right there, it's really only a matter of time before I accidentally pop it out. Finally, the stylus is an inch or so shorter than the 3DS/3DS XL's, and it's ALSO been relocated to the front of the system. It's awful and it's really awkward to take it out of the slot.

Also, replacing the micro SD card was a ridiculous hassle to take off the back cover. Really bad design. The wireless switch being gone is also a weird inconvenience, and the volume being relocated to the top screen strikes me as strange (though it's nice that it now snaps to turn off all the way and you can't accidentally slide it up).

On the bright side, the system overall runs much faster (especially notable when on the home screen and opening and closing apps). Also, I like the Start and Select buttons where they are.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

so some good improvements and some not improvements
while I do like the idea of a C stick, moving my 3ds around is much more fun
unmotivated

K-NiGhT

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 14, 2015, 11:15:12 AMFor those of you wanting to do a system transfer, I found a great guide on how to do it here
I can't stop laughing
Actually crying right now
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Jamaha

Quote from: SlowPokemon on February 14, 2015, 11:33:05 AMFinally, the stylus is an inch or so shorter than the 3DS/3DS XL's, and it's ALSO been relocated to the front of the system. It's awful and it's really awkward to take it out of the slot.

Can't say how awful the location is but as a lefty I'd say any location for the stylus is better than where it is in the original XL.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on February 14, 2015, 11:33:05 AMAlso, replacing the micro SD card was a ridiculous hassle to take off the back cover. Really bad design. The wireless switch being gone is also a weird inconvenience, and the volume being relocated to the top screen strikes me as strange (though it's nice that it now snaps to turn off all the way and you can't accidentally slide it up).

Is there an easily accessible option for the wireless or did they hide it somewhere deep in the options menu?

I'm glad about the volume relocation. I always end up turning it up accidentally. Awkward when having the volume at half would be good but then I accidentally slide it all the way up.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on February 14, 2015, 11:33:05 AMOn the bright side, the system overall runs much faster (especially notable when on the home screen and opening and closing apps). Also, I like the Start and Select buttons where they are.

Yeah, that definitely sounds good. The original is just so slow at times. Hard to say whether I'll upgrade. Don't play it that much anyway. Probably after returning from the US, better to have a less valuable system to lose during the trip.

K-NiGhT

I still don't have the money to buy the system :( luckily my girlfriend is going to be nice and pay me 100 dollars to give her my old 3DS XL so that's at least half of it.

Waddle Bro

^I know I have no place in judging or questioning your relationship, but why would you ask money from your girlfriend D: especially around valentine's

I mean, money already fucks up friendships, so I would never consider asking money in a relationship

SlowPokemon

@Jamaha -- haven't had to turn it off yet, but I think it might be in the same place as where the brightness settings are on the current 3DS.

@Waddle -- every relationship is different.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

K-NiGhT

Quote from: Waddle Bro on February 14, 2015, 01:01:01 PM^I know I have no place in judging or questioning your relationship, but why would you ask money from your girlfriend D: especially around valentine's

I mean, money already fucks up friendships, so I would never consider asking money in a relationship
Not asking her for money lol she asked to buy the system from me since she knew I was upgrading and said she'd pay me for it lol.

Waddle Bro

I meant asking money in return for the system, like instead of giving it out for free you allow her to give you money

If she suggested it I guess it's all cool though!! it just strikes to me as unromantic as anything can be, but then again i'm a freak about stuff being romantic

mikey

Isn't it a good sign that they're each willing to do that though
unmotivated