News:

Found an issue in the Requests Board? Let Bubbles know!

Main Menu

The New Nintendo 3DS

Started by SlowPokemon, August 29, 2014, 05:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fingerz

Yeah, I think I'll check it out and see what it's like first. I really don't need to upgrade yet 'cause there's like only one game coming out for it yet.

Also, has anyone seen the Nintendo Direct Australia video? It looks like you stick the games in the front of it now next to the headphone jack... So what's going on at the back? O.o
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

KefkaticFanatic

me irl
[close]

Nebbles

...you put the games in the front? Geez, now I'm worried about accidentally popping the game out of the system...
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Kman96

Quote from: Nebbles on September 24, 2014, 09:15:59 PM...you put the games in the front? Geez, now I'm worried about accidentally popping the game out of the system...
I've always been worried about that.
Party Hard!
[close]

KefkaticFanatic

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/29/nintendo-3ds-review-new-3ds/

Review mentions that the 3D effect is vastly improved with the new model, which is very promising.  I might actually use it more in a situation where I don't have to keep the 3DS at perfect angle at all times :P

me irl
[close]

mikey

Maybe I should get the new pokemon remakes with the new 3ds
unmotivated

KefkaticFanatic

I'm curious if it will run well enough to actually warrant the use of 3D.  Somebody has to have tested it by now but I can't seem to find it easily by googling..

me irl
[close]

mikey

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on November 02, 2014, 12:33:10 PMI'm curious if it will run well enough to actually warrant the use of 3D.  Somebody has to have tested it by now but I can't seem to find it easily by googling..
the article you linked said something about 4gamer
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on November 02, 2014, 12:33:10 PMI'm curious if it will run well enough to actually warrant the use of 3D.  Somebody has to have tested it by now but I can't seem to find it easily by googling..

The only instance of 3D not running well on any of my games for the 3DS are some Pokémon battles in X. What other game results in any sort of malfunction or frame rate issues caused by 3D in your experience? The rest of my games work perfectly in 3D, and I'm the sort of person who uses 3D whenever possible.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Nebbles

Is there any word of a US release date yet?

Maelstrom

Nebbles

I know it'a 2015, I was just hoping for a more specific time. I hope we get a proper release date soon.

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: SlowPokemon on November 02, 2014, 01:26:33 PMThe only instance of 3D not running well on any of my games for the 3DS are some Pokémon battles in X. What other game results in any sort of malfunction or frame rate issues caused by 3D in your experience? The rest of my games work perfectly in 3D, and I'm the sort of person who uses 3D whenever possible.

I was specifically referencing Pokemon in that post.  I don't notice a 3D effect in Smash or Mario Kart (plus I would never want that distraction in Smash anyway) so I default turn it off there to save battery.  Smash can lag enough as is with 3D off... :P  Luigi's Mansion is I guess somewhat neat sometimes but I didn't notice much there either.  I think that game has only had a slowdown for me once or twice.  The most benefit I ever saw was when they had stages angled in a way that forced you to have 3D on to navigate them properly in Super Mario 3D Land.

Oh yea, and Animal Crossing back when I played that for like a month but I don't think I ever noticed the 3D there either /o\

These are all the 3DS games I have played though.  I would be curious if there are any games with good 3D effects since maybe they will worth trying when the new one comes out assuming I get it and I can grab them cheap or something.

me irl
[close]

mikey

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on November 02, 2014, 03:44:24 PMI was specifically referencing Pokemon in that post.  I don't notice a 3D effect in Smash or Mario Kart (plus I would never want that distraction in Smash anyway) so I default turn it off there to save battery.  Smash can lag enough as is with 3D off... :P  Luigi's Mansion is I guess somewhat neat sometimes but I didn't notice much there either.  I think that game has only had a slowdown for me once or twice.  The most benefit I ever saw was when they had stages angled in a way that forced you to have 3D on to navigate them properly in Super Mario 3D Land.

Oh yea, and Animal Crossing back when I played that for like a month but I don't think I ever noticed the 3D there either /o\

These are all the 3DS games I have played though.  I would be curious if there are any games with good 3D effects since maybe they will worth trying when the new one comes out assuming I get it and I can grab them cheap or something.
I would think it's useful in A Link Between Worlds
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on November 02, 2014, 03:44:24 PMI was specifically referencing Pokemon in that post.  I don't notice a 3D effect in Smash or Mario Kart (plus I would never want that distraction in Smash anyway) so I default turn it off there to save battery.  Smash can lag enough as is with 3D off... :P  Luigi's Mansion is I guess somewhat neat sometimes but I didn't notice much there either.  I think that game has only had a slowdown for me once or twice.  The most benefit I ever saw was when they had stages angled in a way that forced you to have 3D on to navigate them properly in Super Mario 3D Land.

Yeah, Smash doesn't have much going on in that department anyway. The effect is only available during matches, and it's not very much even there--just sort of a background layer against a front layer. But Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, and Luigi's Mansion (especially Luigi's Mansion) all had really beautifully rendered 3D in my opinion, even if it didn't directly impact the experience. My favorite use of 3D is in the Professor Layton games, and I mean I know that's typical of me, but all of the scenes are arranged like a diorama of sorts in the 3DS entries and it's really beautiful and charming to just look around the environment.

I think the main series Pokémon games have just given up on trying to run decent 3D; if the Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire demo is anything to go by, the 3D makes battles even slower than in X and Y. Whereas I only had that problem with certain fights in X and Y, every single battle I've tried to use 3D for in the ORAS demo has dropped the frame rate to almost unplayable levels. Doesn't bother me too much to not play in 3D but it is annoying that it's still not enabled in the overworld considering how awesome the scenes looked inside the caves and buildings in X and Y. Like I know they're capable of it but eh.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.