News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Finale price

Started by Maelstrom, May 08, 2014, 03:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

First, I'm not sure this qualifies as site help, but I coudn't find any better place to put it.

So, my neighbor has finale 2011 (bought for student price) and offered to sell it to me at $150. I assume this is a good deal, but it can't use the files I've been working on in 2012 notepad. I also found finale 2014 here for $247.90, student/education price. I assume you need to prove some way that you need it for school. Being homeschooled, would my mom be able to require it for school and have that count? Or would it just be better for me to get songwriter for $50?

Olimar12345

Personally I'd go for the 2014 version. When I did the student discount they didn't ask if I needed it, just if I was a student. d:
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Maelstrom

What does the '14 version have that others don't? I've heard it can be a little buggy.......

Olimar12345

Well, they're ALL buggy. The newer the version, the more features and tech support you get.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Maelstrom

Wait, how buggy?

It has an auto save, right?

Olimar12345

Not very, and if you're new to the program you probably won't find any problems at all. They all have auto save functions.

Maelstrom

Lastly, what features on '14 are worth the extra $100?

Olimar12345

Personally, I didn't think it was worth upgrading (I still use 2012). For these programs, If you get one full version, you can make it last. It's your call. I originally posted saying to get the 2014 version because I misread and thought that the 2011 was a lower product.

Maelstrom

Is there any possible way to edit my Notepad files on '11? I have some unfinished business.

Olimar12345

Maelstrom

Not even with a midi?

Olimar12345

well, midi wouldn't import much d: it'd probably be less work to start from scratch rather than edit a midi import. You could get the 2014 version.

Maelstrom

I don't think it would be worth $90 just to use edit my one song that needs finale only features. Just put it on the thread for that for this reason. But, can you view but not edit newer files?

Echo

Instead of MIDI, I guess you could export/import XML files. Probably want to re-copy/paste that onto a new sheet since XMLs are kind of buggy and would still need some fixing up.

spitllama

You will not be able to view newer files. Like Olimar, I also run Finale 2012. Even when I owned 2011, though, I just use notepad to view newer files. Not that big of a deal unless you accidentally save your files with a newer version.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012