News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Started by Waddle Bro, May 07, 2014, 07:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackDragonSlayer

Mega Regigigas with 200 Attack... mmmm... it would probably still have Slow Start, though. </3
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Waddle Bro

@Roz
http://pastebin.com/vJX9K9ni

I haven't felt like writing an essay type post about the new info, because there's so much of it. Most notably some of the new Megas seem broken as fuuuuuuck. Most excited for Gunk Shot Mixed Greninja for Fairy-wallbreaking. Fuck Clefable and Azumarill.

SlowPokemon

Have you ever considered that Game Freak makes these super powerful Pokémon because the games aren't meant to be played competitively :)
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

Quote from: SlowPokemon on October 17, 2014, 05:33:52 AMHave you ever considered that Game Freak makes these super powerful Pokémon because the games aren't meant to be played competitively :)
Ha right what would it be then some storyline-based RPG
get real
unmotivated

Kman96

I just wanted to go around the world collecting bug-like creatures and make them fight my battles for me.
Party Hard!
[close]

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Kman96 on October 17, 2014, 07:38:49 AMI just wanted to go around the world collecting bug-like creatures and make them fight my battles for me.

SAME tho mostly I was just razzing the competitive players here
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Kman96

Don't razz the players, razz the berries.
Party Hard!
[close]

Waddle Bro

Quote from: SlowPokemon on October 17, 2014, 05:33:52 AMHave you ever considered that Game Freak makes these super powerful Pokémon because the games aren't meant to be played competitively :)
Actually you're right, Game Freak hasn't intended to make these games optimally competitive. But the playerbase has standardized their own rules for themselves. A lot of you casual players don't seem to get that, instead you complain why Smogon bans so many 'mons and that they ruin the game for no valid reason.

I don't get why people bash the players who play Pokemon for the competitive aspect. It doesn't affect you one bit, if you're not into competitive.

FierceDeity

Quote from: Waddle Bro on October 17, 2014, 10:15:41 AMActually you're right, Game Freak hasn't intended to make these games optimally competitive. But the playerbase has standardized their own rules for themselves. A lot of you casual players don't seem to get that, instead you complain why Smogon bans so many 'mons and that they ruin the game for no valid reason.

I don't get why people bash the players who play Pokemon for the competitive aspect. It doesn't affect you one bit, if you're not into competitive.

Conversely, I don't understand when competitive players complain about broken pokemon, as it doesn't affect you one bit, if you ban them.

K-NiGhT

To be fair though Game Freak has been kinda supporting competitive play. Just look at X and Y. It's easier than ever to breed pokemon with perfect IV'S, way simpler to EV train, and they even have VGC to showcase that. People who go to VGC, at least in the higher divisions, competitive players. There's almost no way to go anywhere in the official tournament if you don't play competitively. Yes, at its core, Pokemon is a standard, storyline driven RPG. It's also toting a extremely complex competitive metagame.

TL; DR: it's both. Deal with it.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Waddle Bro

You're actually wrong about that, it affects the competitive gameplay by preventing what we see as broken Pokemon from over-centralizing the metagame. The competitive players only have arguments over what should be considered as broken. You should also note that Smogon is a democracy, the actual playerbase eventually decides what is broken or not

If Blaziken or Deoxys were allowed, everyone would simply use them because their use has incredibly low risk involved and really high reward exerted. They have very very few flaws(if any) that are patched up by numerous positive traits, such as the lack of ways to counter it.  Everyone would use them in every team they make because why use anything else when you can use the best, and that would make the gameplay less fun. That's why we invented the tier-system for Pokemon, to prevent certain mons from completely dominating the metagame.

Let's say Mega-Kangaskhan(an example out of the many broken mons out there) wasn't banned from OU, almost any team would have it, and every team would have to carry a counter for it, because your chances of winning would be much lower if you wouldn't have an answer for Mega-Kanga sweeping you. Then repeat the same with other broken mons. Everyone has to run them and counters to them because they're so good, it's a vicious circle if you want to be the best. That would result in let's say just 20 Pokemon having nearly all of the usage. I don't like playing a metagame like that, it leaves little to no room for creativity and it'd get boring after a while.

Banning Pokemon eventually allowed the creation of tiers such as NeverUsed, RarelyUsed and UnderUsed, without banning Pokemon those tiers wouldn't exist at all. Pokemon such as Cacturne, Scrafty, Drifiblim and many others would never have had insanely little to no usage in the competitive circles if it wasn't for Smogon's banlists. They allow for creativity.

Waddle Bro

Quote from: K-NiGhT on October 17, 2014, 11:46:33 AMTo be fair though Game Freak has been kinda supporting competitive play. Just look at X and Y. It's easier than ever to breed pokemon with perfect IV'S, way simpler to EV train, and they even have VGC to showcase that. People who go to VGC, at least in the higher divisions, competitive players. There's almost no way to go anywhere in the official tournament if you don't play competitively. Yes, at its core, Pokemon is a standard, storyline driven RPG. It's also toting a extremely complex competitive metagame.

TL; DR: it's both. Deal with it.
It does support it, but just the way they've been creating Pokemon. Only a handful of Pokemon is considered as good and usable compared to the hundreds that are not. And I wouldn't say VGC is an extremely complex competitive metagame, I think that can only apply shit like Yugioh that has thousands of viable cards. :p

Smogon handles the problem known as process of natural selection in Pokemon.

K-NiGhT

Quote from: Waddle Bro on October 17, 2014, 11:59:09 AMIt does support it, but just the way they've been creating Pokemon. Only a handful of Pokemon is considered as good and usable compared to the hundreds that are not. And I wouldn't say VGC is an extremely complex competitive metagame, I think that can only apply shit like Yugioh that has thousands of viable cards. :p

Smogon handles the problem known as process of natural selection in Pokemon.
that's the thing though, they allow pretty much every pokemon in VGC. and they all must work, since a pachirisu won world's this year. i guess i just don't get how usage gets lost in translation between vgc and smogon, even if it's between singles and doubles.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Echo

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/keeping-an-eye-on-the-game/

They do care about the competitive side and they do try to balance the game, they're just bad at it lol.

There's also how the game's balanced around Doubles but most players care more about Singles.

BlackDragonSlayer

And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber