News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Started by Waddle Bro, May 07, 2014, 07:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrP

Quote from: Nebbles on May 12, 2014, 04:12:05 PMI'll get both, as I always do.
Same here..

Being an only child, I always bought both (it used to be one on release and then the other 6 months after) -- but since I have money now, I'll get both.

I wonder what people's reactions are going to be when I start playing Pokémon at work.

Nebbles

My parents always got me both, but now I do it because Game Freak hasn't gotten the gist of using multiple save files. One is to keep permanently, and the other is restart for new playthroughs, different challenges (nuzlockes, solo runs, etc).
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

SlowPokemon

Multiple save files has always been a really dumb idea though. Would never work for Pokémon and Game Freak would be dumb to consider it.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

Quote from: SlowPokemon on May 13, 2014, 06:14:26 AMMultiple save files has always been a really dumb idea though. Would never work for Pokémon and Game Freak would be dumb to consider it.
Why?
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Are you daft? One file is more than enough content, each player is only meant to have one file. It would be foolish to consider multiple save files and would take all the fun out of things like getting all the starters. Not to mention that things like the Pokémon Bank are linked to a specific game.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

You could get a save file with each starter and see which one is the strongest
build different teams in each
etc.
I don't see why having more is a BAD idea.
unmotivated

KefkaticFanatic

I think it's more of a problem with the archaic online design being linked to a single game.  Plenty of huge RPGs can have multiple save files with no problem, but I think Nintendo just likes money and wants people to buy many copies.  Plus it would discourage their whole battling and trading thing if you could just buy one copy for you and a sibling to share rather than forcing you both to own your own copy etc etc.

There's no reason they *couldn't*, but there's plenty of good reasons they won't.

me irl
[close]

FierceDeity

Yeah I've thought about this quite a bit, and money seems to be the only legitimate reason not to. I've started over pokemon games countless times, so It's not like one person wouldn't have reason not to use them. As for "challenge of getting the starters", it's pretty clear that they're already straying away from that, with how easy online trading has become. Meanwhile, both of my brothers and I each bought a copy for every generation (though I'm the only one who's bought them more recently), and this is THE ONLY GAME where this has ever been the case. The grand majority of other games, even handheld, have multiple save files, even if it's a game you'll only play once. I'm not arguing that they should make multiple save files, I'm just saying that, for a company that essentially gets people to spend full price on two (and often 3) copies of the same game each generation, let's not pretend game freak is holding out for any reason other than money.

Echo

Yeah, Kefka said like exactly what I was gonna say. Why would Gamefreak offer multiple save files if people already buy the same game twice anyways? >_>

And yeah, it discourages trading, which is a core concept of the series. Like, if you wanted the other version-exclusive legendary Pokemon, all you'd have to do is start a new file and put your own version-exclusive legendary up on the GTS, while you get to keep your own stuff in your main save file. With Pokebank, this would be really easy for collectors. Not that cloning doesn't already, though.

Although, if they ever did do multiple save files, I'd imagine it'd be like how MegaMan Battle Network 2 did it, where you unlock another save file with a higher difficulty by beating the game, and you're not allowed to trade/battle with it.

DrP

^That would be kinda cool.

You beat the game and you can unlock a hard/hero mode or something (I know they did that with B2W2, but it seemed quite convoluted to actually get it and all)

Nebbles

Oh, Challenge mode that you needed those stupid keys for. Yeah, that should be an option in the beginning of the game or something.

fingerz

Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Nebbles

I'm doing a Challenge mode nuzlocke, actually. Not too painful, but I've had some bad losses...

Crazy Hand

On a completely unrelated topic about the new games, I can't wait for the soundtrack. Hoenn had my favorite music, but the 8-bit synth got a little annoying after a while. If they re-orchestrated the soundtrack, it would sound awesome.

See: credits, surf theme, route 120, pokemart, etc.

Anyone else think so?

Nebbles

Of course they'll remaster the soundtrack in some way. I can't wait to hear it, and I'm gonna definitely wait until release. I've waited years for remastered Hoenn music and I don't want to spoil the moment.