News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

Maelstrom's Arrangements - 8th Anniversary - Xeno Suprise

Started by Maelstrom, April 09, 2014, 12:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you want to see more arrangements of?

Fire Emblem
2 (11.1%)
Touhou
1 (5.6%)
Weird stuff
8 (44.4%)
This poll doesn't matter because maelstrom will just arrange weird stuff anyway
13 (72.2%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Maelstrom

Sebastian

Quote from: maelstrom. on November 14, 2014, 06:40:52 PMSo, finally. Another arrangement.

Xenoblade Chronicles
Refugee Camp

[PDF] [.mus] [midi]

Original:

Excellent Work!!
Here is some feedback:
Measure 12, 20, 41, & 45:The slur should go the length of the tie.  It's not required but it's nice :)

Measure 21 & 25: The staccatos aren't needed on the sixteenth notes. In general, unless it's a super slow song, I stay away from putting staccatos on sixteenth notes.

Measure 30 & 32: There are actually 2 of those high notes in these measures. I'd include both of them but in another layer.

Measure 40: The staccato on the half note isn't needed. It was probably an accident though :)

Measure 50 & 52: These measures are the same as 30 & 32.

So you dont have to waste your time fixing this stuff here it is with these changes:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x46ao3jwsis8sc3/Refugee%20Camp%20Final.mus?dl=0

Sorry for tearing these piece apart :P but it's such a pretty song and I wanna see it perfect :)
If there is something you dont agree with, just tell me :)
Keep up the amazing work!  ;D

Olimar12345

Quote from: mariolegofan on November 15, 2014, 08:27:36 AMMeasure 12, 20, 41, & 45:The slur should go the length of the tie.  It's not required but it's nice :)

Technically, this is the correct way of notating slurs.

Quote from: mariolegofan on November 15, 2014, 08:27:36 AMMeasure 21 & 25: The staccatos aren't needed on the sixteenth notes. In general, unless it's a super slow song, I stay away from putting staccatos on sixteenth notes.

Measure 40: The staccato on the half note isn't needed. It was probably an accident though :)

Both of these are incorrect. Staccato marks may be placed on any note regardless of speed or note duration. It is a stylistic mark. Imo the staccato markings are well placed. ^^

Great job, btw. Your arrangement is as elegant as the piece itself. (Well done!)
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Jompa

Quote from: Olimar12345 on November 15, 2014, 08:43:32 AMBoth of these are incorrect. Staccato marks may be placed on any note regardless of speed or note duration. It is a stylistic mark. Imo the staccato markings are well placed. ^^
Staccato can be a stylistic mark (kinda lies in the word that it has to do with what style we're in), but that's a big can. I agree about the use of it in this song (not saying this to make debate, it's just that you always say this Olimar), but I just wanna point out that staccato also can purely mean to play the notes shorter, and it's no secret that this more often is the case than "staccato" meaning "unstressed" (which I take it is what you mean).
It is often interpreted as "stylistic mark" (as you call it) in some areas of classical music, but staccato is an example of the many many other technical stuff in music that can have very different meanings in different kinds of music.
Birdo for Smash

Sebastian

Quote from: Olimar12345 on November 15, 2014, 08:43:32 AMTechnically, this is the correct way of notating slurs.

Both of these are incorrect. Staccato marks may be placed on any note regardless of speed or note duration. It is a stylistic mark. Imo the staccato markings are well placed. ^^
Wow....ouch  :-[
Thanks for setting me straight :)
I thought staccatos werent needed on half notes for sure...
And slurs...never would a thunk it...haha.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Jompa on November 15, 2014, 09:09:32 AMStaccato can be a stylistic mark (kinda lies in the word that it has to do with what style we're in), but that's a big can. I agree about the use of it in this song (not saying this to make debate, it's just that you always say this Olimar), but I just wanna point out that staccato also can purely mean to play the notes shorter, and it's no secret that this more often is the case than "staccato" meaning "unstressed" (which I take it is what you mean).
It is often interpreted as "stylistic mark" (as you call it) in some areas of classical music, but staccato is an example of the many many other technical stuff in music that can have very different meanings in different kinds of music.

Well in some styles it can mean short (such as jazz). But in this instance, and many others around here, it shouldn't mean just "Short". It's good to differentiate between a short note (the length of the note value) and a note played in a lifted, or detached style. I just think it's more beneficial for the arrangers around here to know that.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

Quote from: Olimar12345 on November 15, 2014, 09:36:36 AMWell in some styles it can mean short (such as jazz). But in this instance, and many others around here, it shouldn't mean just "Short". It's good to differentiate between a short note (the length of the note value) and a note played in a lifted, or detached style. I just think it's more beneficial for the arrangers around here to know that.
Yes, I understand. I just think the staccatos on those sixteenth notes aren't required.

Maelstrom

Thanks for all the compliments!  :)
It's all fixed now.

I am still pushing for that Xenoblade arrangement project....

edit: I think I'll do Pursuit ~ Casting Magic or whatever it's called from PLvsAA

Cornered ~ Spell Breaker according to Gilvasunner

Maelstrom

It didn't work out to well........
But hey, this one did!
This is the version that appears in the soundtrack, but it is missing about 0:40. I would have done that too, but I didn't feel like it. Maybe later.

Xenoblade Chronicles
Tragic Decision
(aka Egil Battle)

[PDF] [.mus] [midi] [Original]

DonValentino

Truly a beautiful and majestic piece. Great job! :J
One little thing, in measure 59 the G#'s should be Ab's I think.

Maelstrom

Woops. Meant to change those, but I completely forgot. Thanks!

Maelstrom

Almost bumped off the first page!
Any way......

Xenoblade Chronicles
Zanza (1st Phase, final boss/Cutscenes)

[PDF] [.mus] [midi] [Original]

TheZeldaPianist275

I still swing by NSM on occasion for treats like this!  This is one of my favorite songs from the soundtrack!  Thanks, Maelstrom! 

AwesomeYears

I haven't listen to any Xenoblade songs carefully, but this is an awesome piece and a even better arragement!

Maelstrom

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on January 11, 2015, 08:21:46 PMI still swing by NSM on occasion for treats like this!  This is one of my favorite songs from the soundtrack!  Thanks, Maelstrom!
Quote from: AwesomeYears on January 11, 2015, 08:32:48 PMI haven't listen to any Xenoblade songs carefully, but this is an awesome piece and a even better arragement!
Thanks for the compliments, guys!  ;D