News:

Spotted an error on the main site? Let us know!

Main Menu

Game Music...on the organ

Started by JohnK, February 07, 2014, 02:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnK

I recently rediscovered an organ VST on my computer that is quite frankly proven to be quite interesting to experiment with. I downloaded it a couple years ago to make eerie background music for a haunted house (Toccata and Fugue) and forgot about it. Playing around with it, I'm really shocked at the amount of tonal colors you can coax out of it. The VST has a bevy of 104 stops (sound ranks, supposed to be spread over 4 manuals and a pedal keyboard, which would probably require one hell of a setup :o), which can be whisper soft or create a hell of a racket. It's a shame that the organ's been pigeonholed into hymns, weddings/funerals, and spooky music, because it really does seem to have a lot of hidden potential just waiting to be exploited  :-\

Any requests?

mikey

You know, I've always thought that 8-bit Zelda music would sound amazing on harpsichords and organs...
unmotivated

FireArrow

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

JohnK

I somehow managed to misread that and did the Song of Storms instead. Oopsy doops  :P

mikey

What?  Sounds like the song of time to me xD
unmotivated

JohnK

Gah, I'm so frackin' tired today I can't keep these things straight   :P :-[

braix

Lol it's quite fine but yeah it's the song of time. xD
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

mikey

Quote from: zoroark1264 on February 08, 2014, 01:48:43 PMLol it's quite fine but yeah it's the song of time. xD
I knew it!
(Ha I haven't even learned like 3 songs in ocarina of time yet)
unmotivated

JohnK

Well, here ya go :P I played around with mixing and balance, which resulted in two different versions. One has more panning and stereo effects, while the other has more dynamic range.
Honestly, I never really liked Majora's Mask as much as I did OoT or ALttP. It was good, but it just lacked that....je ne sais pas. My brothers and I played those latter two games so much, we had 3 copies of each so we didn't hog it (or we somehow managed to break SNES/N64 carts, which is frankly impossible   ;) ). There weren't too many games that were really that good.

Also, here's the same song on an (electric) organ:

mikey

Etes-vous francais ou canadienne?
unmotivated

JohnK

mikey

unmotivated

JDMEK5

Quote from: JohnK on February 09, 2014, 03:03:33 PMHonestly, I never really liked Majora's Mask as much as I did OoT or ALttP.
That's because you haven't seen
(Not till you've beaten it)
this
[close]
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

mikey

But I'll never beat majora's mask D:
unmotivated