News:

change da world
my final message. Goodb ye

Main Menu

[3DS] Pokemon X/Y - "Emma's Theme"

Started by Jet Blankett, January 10, 2014, 12:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

You bring up some good points. It's hard to hate Hans Zimmer when his music sounds so compelling, but it's also hard for me not to harbor resentment for someone who just sits back on autopilot for all of his projects, producing music that has about five seconds' worth of thought. Pirates is actually his most complex works, and there's very little substance even there. And it's funny, the pieces that are usually my favorite in those scores weren't even written by Zimmer.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

FierceDeity

My least favorite part is that he has so many arrangers working for him. I mean, it's kind of inevitable in a Hollywood-scale project with the timelines they're given that big composers resort to this practice (Jon Williams does it too), but it still bothers me that all of that work receives one big "Composed by Hans Zimmer" label, leading to a shitload of people I know who adore him not even realizing that this practice occurs :/

SlowPokemon

Yeah, on his score for The Holiday he's only the sole composer for two tracks lol.

Jet Blankett

Quote from: fingerz on January 10, 2014, 05:59:07 PMI have to agree with you there. I was surprised at the complete lack of melody in many of the battle themes... They were nowhere near as nostalgic as the music from Black/White. I must admit, they are yet to find a good balance of orchestral and techno in the series. BW was bordering the techno side too much and BW2 just went over the top... XD To date, the most exciting soundtrack I've heard would be Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and HeartGold/SoulSiver soundtracks. THEY were great! So, when they do another remake, they should be even better, OR ELSE! :P
Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 10, 2014, 07:12:39 PMThere is literally zero melody in the gym leader battle theme, it's just boring chord changes. The beat and percussive sounds keep things okay but from a musical standpoint, that piece is terrible.
100% agree with you both! And I enjoy the music from Diamond/Pearl overall probably the most, but I enjoy R/S/E and B/W (except Alder's battle theme...not impressed) as well. X/Y ruined my Gym Leader and E4 battle themes...I want percussion, sure. But melody!! And I agree that B2/W2 were beginning to get too techno (e.g. the Team Plasma theme from B/W was awesome, the one from B2/W2...not so much...still better than Team Flare's, though). A perfect illustration of the difference from Gens I-V to Gen VI can be found here (listen for melody):
I found myself in the X/Y E4 theme to be expecting a cool melody to appear out of nowhere...and was sadly disappointed...X/Y music was hit or miss for me. A lot of misses, but a few really good hits (Emma's theme for example)
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.

FireArrow

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 11, 2014, 03:53:34 AMYou bring up some good points. It's hard to hate Hans Zimmer when his music sounds so compelling, but it's also hard for me not to harbor resentment for someone who just sits back on autopilot for all of his projects, producing music that has about five seconds' worth of thought. Pirates is actually his most complex works, and there's very little substance even there. And it's funny, the pieces that are usually my favorite in those scores weren't even written by Zimmer.

Just because he reuses it a lot doesn't make it less musical; though I agree that it does makes the soundtrack a lot less engaging as a musician (it's just listening to the same song over and over again...)

I'm assuming that's what you mean by "sits back on autopilot" as if you look at "He's a Pirate" as an individual song, it's pretty good.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Yugi

SlowPokemon

Quote from: FireArrow on January 11, 2014, 09:47:29 PMJust because he reuses it a lot doesn't make it less musical; though I agree that it does makes the soundtrack a lot less engaging as a musician (it's just listening to the same song over and over again...)

I'm assuming that's what you mean by "sits back on autopilot" as if you look at "He's a Pirate" as an individual song, it's pretty good.

Er, no you totally misunderstood me. I mean that his music is ridiculously simple from a musical standpoint, very much including the "He's a Pirate" theme. Reusing or rearranging music doesn't change its musical complexity.

FireArrow

fingerz

Sorry that we're not any closer to getting someone to arrange this for you, FireArrow... XD

Great conversation though, guys! It's very true that music is subjective to all of us. I do appreciate what was trying to be created with the new battle music for X/Y, but there's more scope for development to include melody and a soundscape. I'm sure the composers for GameFreak will only keep getting better! :D
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

FireArrow

Quote from: fingerz on January 12, 2014, 05:59:53 AMSorry that we're not any closer to getting someone to arrange this for you, FireArrow... XD

Haha, as a thanks for letting me use this thread, I'll take your request Jet Blankett. :3

Jet Blankett

Quote from: FireArrow on January 12, 2014, 08:14:53 PMHaha, as a thanks for letting me use this thread, I'll take your request Jet Blankett. :3
no prob. Thanks!

Jompa

Not to discourage anyone from arranging it, but I found this (though (this is me being picky) I don't think this arrangement serves the original song well enough...):
http://www.mediafire.com/view/9a2426kjoua6cc7/looker%2527s%2520farewell.pdf
Birdo for Smash

FireArrow

The first half is almost identical to what I have (probably better), but the second part is missing some voices. I'll see if I can finish it today (don't get your hopes up.)

FireArrow

Jet Blankett