Stereoscopic 3D on the Nintendo 3DS

Started by SlowPokemon, January 06, 2014, 11:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of 3D on the system?

I love it. It adds depth to my favorite games and allows me to immerse myself more in their worlds.
I like it, but it's unnecessary.
I hate it. It gives me a headache and doesn't add anything to the experience.
I have a Nintendo 2DS.

SlowPokemon

I'm curious as to what everyone's opinions on the 3D effect are. Vote and, if you want, post a couple games that you thought used the 3D really well (or really badly).

A few games I thought used 3D really well:
Super Mario 3D Land
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

A few games that I was disappointed in the 3D effect:
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Pokémon X and Y
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

blueflower999

You should probably add an option for "Don't have a 3DS/2DS" if you're going to have one for "I have a 2DS".

Anyway, New Leaf is my favorite game on the 3DS so far based on its usage of the 3D. It was sort of like Animal Crossing was made to be experienced that way. The environment looks gorgeous and it doesn't slow the frame rate down very much.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Echo

High tier:
Fire Emblem: Awakening (beautiful cutscenes, maps look gorgeous too, and the flying birds and stuff on the map really pop out. wow'd me even at the title screen with the cherry blossoms)
Kid Icarus: Uprising (going off of memory because it was the first 3DS game I played, don't have it on me now to compare though)

Mid Tier:
Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance (nice for cutscenes, most noticeable ghosting though)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (didn't really use it that much, might have to check again)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (didn't use it much, so I'd have to compare again)

Low Tier:
Code of Princess (don't even remember where the 3D was used, might have to check again)

Bottom Tier:
Pokemon X/Y (dat framerate drop, also really minimal usage)

I'll update this list after I re-check some games and check out the rest of my library.

BlackDragonSlayer

Hrm. I think my answer would be somewhere in-between the first two, like "I think some games use 3D to great effect, but for others, it's unnecessary."
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Waddle Bro

Good 3D: A Link Between Worlds, Uprising, HarmoKnight, Mutant Mudds

I'll add more when I come up with something.

K-NiGhT

Of the eight 3DS games I currently own, I've only used the 3D for extended periods of time on one of them. That would be Fire Emblem. That's one of the few games where it really adds to the experience and you won't be hindered by moving around so much.

Kid Icarus' is good, from the little bits of it that I've seen, as is MK7's. Don't even get me started on Pokemon X/Y. The general graphics were outstanding but I was very disappointed with the use (or lack thereof) of the 3D.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

SlowPokemon

The graphics of Pokemon X and Y were really lame imo. They were sort of good by Pokemon standards, but terrible and kiddie compared to everything else on the 3DS. :P

K-NiGhT

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 06, 2014, 06:32:46 PMThe graphics of Pokemon X and Y were really lame imo. They were sort of good by Pokemon standards, but terrible and kiddie compared to everything else on the 3DS. :P
true but for a pokemon game they were great
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Roz~

I thought they were great, mostly because they reminded me of Pokemon Stadium and omg I love that game.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

MasterProX

The 3D on Super Street Fighter IV was pretty shitty. Basically no depth. Besides, disabling 3D to play it at 60 FPS is much better.

Also, the 3D on Fire Emblem Awakening is godly. It's the only game I've played in which I've turned the 3D on and not wanted to turn it off.

Wrydryn

I have rarely used the 3D for extended periods of time. The problem for me is that finding the sweetspot for the 3D takes a bit too long and then I have to hold it in that exact position while I play. Although some games do 3D very well, I find that I'll only turn it on for minutes at a time or when there's a cutscene happening in the game.

fingerz

I always use it! The only time I don't is if the power is low and nowhere to charge & when I play Pokemon X. That game I refuse to play in 3D. Other than that, I use it at every possible moment, even if it's just an enhancer like in DKCR3D, M&L: DTB or NSMB2. :)

Plus, I'm short-sighted yet have no problem looking at 3D for extended periods of time. I've played Ocarina of Time 3D in 3D all day (and that's some serious 3D) with no side-effects at all. For some strange reason, the 'sweet spot' is very broad for me! I can move my head around quite a bit and still have the 3D effect. Lucky me, eh? ;)
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Waddle Bro

Quote from: fingerz on January 12, 2014, 06:33:14 AMI always use it! The only time I don't is if the power is low and nowhere to charge & when I play Pokemon X. That game I refuse to play in 3D. Other than that, I use it at every possible moment, even if it's just an enhancer like in DKCR3D, M&L: DTB or NSMB2. :)

Plus, I'm short-sighted yet have no problem looking at 3D for extended periods of time. I've played Ocarina of Time 3D in 3D all day (and that's some serious 3D) with no side-effects at all. For some strange reason, the 'sweet spot' is very broad for me! I can move my head around quite a bit and still have the 3D effect. Lucky me, eh? ;)
This.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: fingerz on January 12, 2014, 06:33:14 AMI always use it! The only time I don't is if the power is low and nowhere to charge & when I play Pokemon X. That game I refuse to play in 3D. Other than that, I use it at every possible moment, even if it's just an enhancer like in DKCR3D, M&L: DTB or NSMB2. :)

Same here! IDK if it's because I use an XL or what, but the sweet spot is exactly where my head is when I play video games. I always use 3D.

EFitTrainr

I absolutely LOVE the 3D effect on most games.

Except for Pokemon X.
I like food.