News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

dajwxp - I Burned The Giratina. (240916: POKEMON SUN/MOON! :D)

Started by daj, December 11, 2013, 06:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daj

Pokemon DPPt - Snowpoint City

Done!...except it's in camp, I have zero access to any computer, I'm using nothing but my phone, and the score only exists in manuscript form. Hehe.

images!

Suddenly felt inspired to score Snowpoint haha, not sure why. I must have had them musical goosebumps at least ten times when I was listening to the playback and even while writing the full score. It's such a beautiful track. Dang.

Will hopefully clean this up by tomorrow! I might also update this page with the Minish Cap arrangements too~

cashwarrior1

Well, I've tried doing stuff like that before and let's just say that I can't draw straight. (I tried making sheet music with complete blank paper.)

daj

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on June 16, 2016, 04:35:18 AMWell, I've tried doing stuff like that before and let's just say that I can't draw straight. (I tried making sheet music with complete blank paper.)

Hehe, haven't we all tried at some point? :p
That's why I started buying manuscript books, haha. Blank paper was stupid.

Anyway, updating the OP with the Minish Cap arrangements and a tiny section on future plans for DPPt projects ^^

Aaaand added some difficulty ratings to humour myself. Hehe.

daj

Pokemon DPPt: Oreburgh City (Solo Reduction):
Done with the understanding that we are human, and thus have two hands.

PDF

Also a little mental note for myself to go change the title on the pdf.

daj

Pokemon DPPt: Eterna Forest (2 Pianos):
Tidied up all my manuscript scribblings into a proper score yesterday night.

Just a few quick words on this track - there will be a whole essay-ish on it once the full release is out, btw - because there's so much that has to be said. It's a masterpiece by Hitomi Sato because it breaks so many conventions of standard writing. Switching between a pulse based on dotted quarters (not quavers, btw) and one based on quarters is taboo because it almost never transitions properly. And because Hitomi did her job in composing this so well I decided to give her justice by scoring the first and last section as it was meant to be - with a cocktail of weird time signature changes.

Another rule that I was taught in more advanced levels of composing was that you should avoid placing too many parts in the same register. But Hitomi crams all her parts to the same register, detunes some of them a bit, and the effect is shimmery and haunting. It brings in so many clashes between different instruments that resound beautifully, and a two-piano cover can't even get close to that. She deliberately lets two parts play almost exactly the same notes in the breakdown section in the middle; one piano is panned left and the other is panned right, but they echo each other's chords. In my arrangement I score it exactly as she did with the understanding that no two pianos can be perfectly in tune with each other, thus you will get the smearing and shimmering.

So many decisions went into the crafting of this arrangement. Dang.

But anyway, enough talk, here are the links:

PDF

also, will go fix the tempo markings soon~

cashwarrior1

That's a real nice arrangement for a real nice song.

daj

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on June 19, 2016, 07:23:23 PMThat's a real nice arrangement for a real nice song.

Yay, thank you so much ^^

Pokemon DPPt: Route 216 (2 Pianos):
On the second-last stage of my full release! Final score+audio video is up, with the art included and all ^^

PetrifiedLasagna

Bravo, bravo good sir. This is one of the songs that gets me every time I listen to it. I can't believe I never noticed that there was a central theme to the DPPt songs, although that was a while back when I hadn't started arranging yet.

cashwarrior1

I was listening to pokemon music on youtube until I came across Giratina's battle theme. I then thought about someone arranging it, and since you do mostly DPPt songs, I thought that this would be a pretty fun challenge. So I challenge you to arrange this song!

daj

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on June 20, 2016, 07:28:24 PMI was listening to pokemon music on youtube until I came across Giratina's battle theme. I then thought about someone arranging it, and since you do mostly DPPt songs, I thought that this would be a pretty fun challenge. So I challenge you to arrange this song!

Oh, you have no idea how much I love that theme, man. Thank you so much for bringing it up <3. It's part of the automatic answer when someone asks me for my favourite game tracks: "oh, the giratina battle theme. and the one from the snowy route in pokemon diamond. they're both awesome."

Buuuut for this track in particular, there is almost no way I can do a decent arrangement of this for even two pianos without re-interpreting half of the parts. What makes this track amazing is the complexity of the sounds and the total chaos it creates - and of course, the corresponding moments of clarity emerging from the chaos, filled with power. Sure, I can score power chords in those moments of clarity, but the dubstep blips and ambient pads in the chaotic passages are impossible to recreate. So I'll make compromises by throwing in weird effects that the piano can create.

That's still okay, but consider the fact that most of the tension is created through the really fast drone-y thing going about in the lower register (for the lack of a better way to explain it) for most of the track, as well as the amazingly composed drum beat. Both of these can be scored, but they would be mostly unplayable. So the arrangement might - I'm just projecting it that way - turn out not too faithful to the original and unplayable.

That being said, I will give it a shot. ^^ No harm done in trying, haha~

Thanks again for bringing this up!~

Also, re-ordered by OP a little. Heck, I will find a way to organise it properly some day. Not today though.

daj

Quote from: dajwxp on June 16, 2016, 01:37:49 AMPokemon DPPt - Snowpoint City

Done!...except it's in camp, I have zero access to any computer, I'm using nothing but my phone, and the score only exists in manuscript form. Hehe.

images!

Suddenly felt inspired to score Snowpoint haha, not sure why. I must have had them musical goosebumps at least ten times when I was listening to the playback and even while writing the full score. It's such a beautiful track. Dang.

Will hopefully clean this up by tomorrow! I might also update this page with the Minish Cap arrangements too~

Finally did up the score!

PDF!

cashwarrior1

daj

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on June 23, 2016, 04:12:02 AMThat would make a good alarm clock ringtone.

...and that, my friend, will make a perfect description! Updated the OP with that :p

Also, I made buttons! Buttons are great :)

Added difficulty meters too! Just because.

cashwarrior1

FireArrow

What fo m.d. and m.s. stand for? I've never seen that notation before
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department